• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • FireBirdDS

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    May 28, 2012
    Indianapolis, IN
    I wish to build my next AR-15 but am unsure how to go about it in the most cost-effective way possible. :dunno:

The simplest way one would think would be to purchase the lower and upper receiver as completed assemblies and bring the two pieces together. Would it save money to break it down even further and build it ENTIRELY from scratch? Would building a complete AR-15 from scratch require the facilities and expertise of a gunsmith or is it something anyone could do?

I guess to ask more specifically, where would the total cost of the necessary tools and individual parts be in comparison to the cost of just purchasing a finished AR off of the shelf? (specifically DPMS or Bushmaster). Because if I buy any given brand of AR off of the shelf, I anticipate replacing certain parts with more refined aftermarket parts anyway and then be stuck with spare parts I'll likely never need but cannot easily sell by themselves.

Also though it would start out as a semi-auto rifle, I would like to build it in such a way to allow for the possibility of paying the tax stamp and upgrading it to burst-fire down the road.

I would like to build the lower receiver first for immediate use with my .22 upper, then proceed to build the upper receiver barrel assembly.

Ultimately I want to build the rifle overall to have the appearance and function of a Vietnam-era M16A1.

chuddly

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jan 17, 2012
    Eminence, IN
    there are to many unknows in your question to answer it right. Do you want to build it just like you would buy one? are you wanting to build a budget AR (sounds like it) or a higher end one with more bells and whistles? are you building a period correct one where you wont mess with anything after its done or are you building a "tacticool" one with lights and lazers and heat seeking lazer guided attack dogs?

Apples to apples builds you can save some money. If your going to customize it do it during the build and dont waste the money on parts you will just take off later.

I have found that it is just as cheap on a "mild" build to do a complete upper and a stripped lower with a lower parts kit. just buy a $30 AR wrench and everything else can be done with simple hand tools. That should run you about $700 all said and done for a rifle that would normally cost you about $800-$1000 depending on the brand. Now all that is if you are just buying new and you want to get the parts ordered now. If you have time to wait you can put one together for much cheaper....probly around $500 if you have the time to collect parts slowly.

jjohnisme

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 11, 2009
    Brownsburg
    Not sure if you've heard of Reddit, but here's an excellent how-to post:

AR-15 how-to

Also, take the time to consider each price/quality of the parts prior to buying. Don't go all bells-and-whistles if it's your first build. Keep it simple, and know each part and how it works first. No idea on the whole burst-fire thing, but anything is possible with enough time, especially regarding Mr. ATF.

FireBirdDS

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    May 28, 2012
    Indianapolis, IN
    there are to many unknows in your question to answer it right. Do you want to build it just like you would buy one? are you wanting to build a budget AR (sounds like it) or a higher end one with more bells and whistles? are you building a period correct one where you wont mess with anything after its done or are you building a "tacticool" one with lights and lazers and heat seeking lazer guided attack dogs?

I want it to be more or less a budget AR. I'm not looking for the bells and whistles on this one. The aftermarket "refined" parts I'm talking about are parts like a precision trigger group and tritium front/rear sights; parts that would enhance the rifle's function without adding to or detracting from its stock-appearance.

indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    For my first builds, I bought the upper complete and used a stripped lower. I think the LPK install is a good first step in getting to know the weapon system. Anyone with slight mechanical ability should have no problem putting the LPK together, with all the pictures and how tos out there. Cost wise, you are probably the same as buying off the shelf complete AR. For me, the learning was the point.

Lock n Load

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    146   0   0
    May 1, 2008
    FFort
    Buy the stripped lower locally, mail order the complete upper of choice. Check out [STRIKE]PKFirearms[/STRIKE] AIM for the LPKs (Lower Part Kits), I just ordered 3 CMMG LPKs for $59.97 ea shipped for the 3 Del Ton blem lowers I picked up at Bradis on Sat.

Let the '12 election builds begin.... well actually continue, Im always building up ARs..... BRD (Black Rifle Disease) and once in awhile FDERD !!!

Maybe INGO will have another build party..... :dunno:

Edit: I purchased individual lower parts from PKFirearms and the LPKs from AIM for the free shipping.....

Last edited:

workingwrench

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 9, 2011
    I suggest going to the Indy 1500 Gunshow at the end of August(24-26th??). You can buy a stripped lower and parts kits from all budgets. Find a table full of black parts and Pick out a upper you like, work a deal with them for a package. Buy one of their uppers with the parts kit at one stop(everythiong you need to biuld). You'll spent over $550 with one vender and they'll hook you up on pricing it right to you. Also don't buy the first one you see. there are 1000's of them. wait until later in the day. If sales are down you get a better deal. I like the Texas made kits. Be sure to ask that the Head spacing is already done. A great show to shop at.

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    I'm not sure I'd tackle building an upper from scratch unless you get a barrel with a gas block already attached. You can build your own lower pretty cheap using good quality parts and then just buy a quality complete upper.

This is pry similar advice to what most people will say. Build the lower and buy the upper.

Last edited:

indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    I'm not sure I'd tackle building a lower from scratch unless you get a barrel with a gas block already attached. You can build your own lower pretty cheap using good quality parts and then just buy a quality complete upper.

I assume you meant: "I'm not sure I'd tackle building an upper [STRIKE]lower[/STRIKE] from scratch unless you get a barrel with a gas block already attached." I agree.

That was why my first was lower only. Now I'm looking at the next step of swapping stripped upper for different type. Upper builds are easier with more tools than lowers need.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    This is pry similar advice to what most people will say. Build the lower and buy the upper.

This is what I'd suggest. You can save money buying a stripped lower, and a lower parts kit and putting it together with tools you probably already have. If you want to build a upper from scratch you will have to buy AR specific tools and you won't save a dime by the time it's over. You're best bet is going to be to buy your upper complete. Let the professionals do all the headspacing and use their professional tools.

The one AR I have "built" to completion so far is a del-ton kit. All I needed to do was pick out exactly what I wanted my rifle to be, and then buy the kit. You're always going to save money by buying a stripped lower seperately, but after that the deals that are kits are really hard to beat especially if you plan on making this a work in progress with upgrades later as money allows.

That delton dissipator kit I bought started out life as just a regular ole kit.

Then I just had to buy all Magpul MOE stuff for it (handguard, grip, & buttstock).

Then it wasn't much later that I wanted an illuminated front sight post and I bought one from XS sights.

Then I just had to put in the lighter JP trigger springs.

Then I just had to put a flashlight on the side of it and bought a mount off amazon and then a streamlight polytac.

Then I just had to put a MOE foregrip on the forend.

Then I just had to put a magpul ASAP plate on the back to try out a single point sling.

The bottom line here is that you're not going to save a dime learning how to build AR's. Before you know it, you'll be pimping out your AR building services to your friends just to get your fix. Then you'll look at your spare parts that you've got laying around and wonder about the next build you're going to do.

My next build is going to be a 20" similar to what uncle sugar loaned me but with some improvements. Do you see what we're all talking about when we say that it never really ends and that it really can become an addiction??? :D

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    you should check out del-ton for the complete rifle kit which will include your choice, Butstock, LPK, and built upper all to your spec. All you need is just a stripped lower and you are GTG. M4 Rifle Kits, AR 15 Kits, Gun Kits | Del Ton Rifles from Del-Ton, Inc.

That's basically what I did except I bought my Del-Ton kit from Midway. PSA also makes some pretty good kits and I can't see that buying either would be a wrong move. My Del-Ton bolt carrier is staked exactly like my Colt 6920 is.

Lock n Load

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    146   0   0
    May 1, 2008
    FFort
    Buy the stripped lower locally, mail order the complete upper of choice. Check out [STRIKE]PKFirearms[/STRIKE] AIM for the LPKs (Lower Part Kits), I just ordered 3 CMMG LPKs for $59.97 ea shipped for the 3 Del Ton blem lowers I picked up at Bradis on Sat.

Let the '12 election builds begin.... well actually continue, Im always building up ARs..... BRD (Black Rifle Disease) and once in awhile FDERD !!!

Maybe INGO will have another build party..... :dunno:

Edit: I purchased individual lower parts from PKFirearms and the LPKs from AIM for the free shipping.....

Correction made.....:n00b:

Top Bottom