Building an AR Pistol and have questions.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Omega 5.56

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 6, 2012
    Vigo County
    Ok, so here's the skinny, I've been searching online to find the laws in Indiana about building an AR pistol. I even called the ATF Office to day about in Indianapolis and they were unable to give me any answers.

So far what I've gathered is obviously it can't have a stock, it can be no longer than 30" overall and no shorter than 26", also no Vertical foregrip.

The real snag I'm running into is that I keep reading that you must register the stripped lower as a handgun when you buy it, however all the gun stores I call tell me that you don't have that option.:dunno:

So if there's anyone who can shed some light on this so I know for certain that I'm legal, I'd appreciate it. Thanks!

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    A lower is transferred as "other", neither handgun nor long gun.

Once purchased, you may change your mind 100x or more on the final form the firearm will be - provided you don't run afoul of stupid NFA rules in the process.

-J-

Booya

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Aug 26, 2010
    Fort Fun
    ^^ What they said!

As long as your receiver wasn't marked "rifle" on the 4473 (it likely wasn't) then you can build either a pistol or a rifle. For a pistol, just make sure, as you noted, that it has no buttstock and no VFG. Regarding length, you can use a 4" barrel or a 14" barrel. If there is a "no shorter then" regulation I haven't seen it.

You don't have to register anything or do anything as long as you stay a pistol or build into a rifle, change your mind and play around, just don't make it into a short barreled rifle, then you're making mistakes.

Having said that, don't make a pistol and then buy the coolest buttstock you can find, submit SBR paperwork and tell everyone that your parts are spread all over the state because we know that A) they're in your closet just waiting for the paperwork to return, or B) that sucker is built, you just don't want to take pics or talk about it yet! hahaha

__Doc_

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2011
    Henry Co
    To elaborate on Booya. Correct me if I'm wrong

You can go from an OTHER to a PISTOL or RIFLE. Once that OTHER is build as a PISTOL you can change it to a RIFLE, but once that OTHER is build as a RIFLE you can NOT change it back to a PISTOL. Obviously noone would know if it was pistol or rifle first.

Booya

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Aug 26, 2010
    Fort Fun
    To elaborate on Booya. Correct me if I'm wrong

You can go from an OTHER to a PISTOL or RIFLE. Once that OTHER is build as a PISTOL you can change it to a RIFLE, but once that OTHER is build as a RIFLE you can NOT change it back to a PISTOL. Obviously noone would know if it was pistol or rifle first.

Technically, yes...

ZX-14R

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    The receiver should be listed as a "pistol receiver" on the 4473 and the FFL's A&D log. If it starts out as a pistol receiver, it can be turned into a rifle and back again. If it starts as a rifle, it cannot technically/legally be turned into a pistol because it would be considered a "weapon made from a rifle". There is no requirement for overall or barrel length. You cannot run any type of stock and you should not run a buffer tube that could accept a stock. You cannot run any forward pistol grip of any kind.

Omega 5.56

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 6, 2012
    Vigo County
    I have a pistol buffer that cannot accept a stock, and a 7.5" barrel. The stripped lower I bought was listed as "Other" so it's apparently neither a pistol or a rifle. When I asked he said there wasn't an option on the form.

BluDeuce

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 18, 2011
    Northern IN
    I have Been looking myself. I leaning toward the RRA piston driven version. I don't like the buffer tube. Might as well get the rifle with that buffer tube. Also read some bad stories about the blow back version needing a longer barrel to get the pressure correct.

ZX-14R

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    I have a pistol buffer that cannot accept a stock, and a 7.5" barrel. The stripped lower I bought was listed as "Other" so it's apparently neither a pistol or a rifle. When I asked he said there wasn't an option on the form.

Legally you should be perfectly fine. You may experience reliability issues with an upper shorter than 10".

ZX-14R

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    I have Been looking myself. I leaning toward the RRA piston driven version. I don't like the buffer tube. Might as well get the rifle with that buffer tube. Also read some bad stories about the blow back version needing a longer barrel to get the pressure correct.

I highly suggest getting an AR pistol with a pistol buffer tube. It's very helpful to stabilize while shooting. Combined with a good muzzle brake, shoots very accurate and flat.

inccwchris

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    Southside of Indiana
    The receiver should be listed as a "pistol receiver" on the 4473 and the FFL's A&D log. If it starts out as a pistol receiver, it can be turned into a rifle and back again. If it starts as a rifle, it cannot technically/legally be turned into a pistol because it would be considered a "weapon made from a rifle". There is no requirement for overall or barrel length. You cannot run any type of stock and you should not run a buffer tube that could accept a stock. You cannot run any forward pistol grip of any kind.

This is inaccurate. The Magpul AFG is excepted from the rule. If you run one of those on it, you are GTG. Strange exemption, but thats coming directly from ATF.

wsenefeld

Master
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Boone Co.

If all you are registering is a receiver, it must be marked as other. Not pistol or rifle.

If you incorrectly do the paperwork and list it as a pistol that does not mean you can go back and forth between pistol and rifle. Once a rifle, always a rifle.

Top Bottom