• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bashMOH

Hawaiian Pizza
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 22, 2022
    Daviess county
    I haven't done either, but am interested in building due to being able to spread the cost out over time. I know you can get PSA blems for about $600, but that's still a big bill all at once

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    The advantage to building your own is you can research and choose parts you have confidence in, and know what you're getting.
    When I build my own, quality enough parts is what matters to me most, and saving money isn't in the equation.
    YMMV

If you're mechanically inclined to any degree, an AR15 type rifle is not hard to build.

BigRed3588

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 4, 2013
    Boynton Beach
    I’m in the “buy your first and then build,” camp. Learn the platform and your preferences and decide if you want more. There are some tools you’ll need, like a torque wrench/vice/bevblock or reaction rod/armorers wrench, that aren’t cheap. And the ones you don’t necessarily need are certainly helpful and also aren’t cheap. A dimpling jig, for example, is going to run $35+shipping. Headspace gauges for one caliber are $70+shipping. And you’ll only ever use them for a single purpose. Point being, it’s best to make sure you want more than one before you start investing in the equipment you’ll want/need to work on them.

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    I always say it’s similar pros and cons as houses.
    Build and you get exactly what you want.
    Buy and you get something out of the box and can adapt and customize as you go.
    If you buy, buy quality.
    Bingo...well said by OneBadV8...and no matter what, buy quality parts as those will save you the headache of broken or non-functioning stuff that will aggravate you over time.
    What is it that I once heard??? Buy Once...Cry Once...Enjoy for a Long Time!

Last edited:

rb288

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 14, 2019
    Grovertown
    I will just throw this in as an alternative.
    Some may poo poo it, some may not, but it has worked for me.
    I have built 3 AR-15s (556), and 2 AR-10s, (308 and 6.5 creedmoor), over the last few years.
    All of them have been based on aluminum 80% lowers that I finished and unfinished AP uppers that I added barrels, bcg's, adjustable gas blocks, and whatever I needed to complete them.
    Every one is fully functional, has had at least 1000 rounds through them with out a hiccup.
    I can't say I saved any money by building them, but it was fun and I know those guns from the inside out.
    Once you figure it out, it is very easy to do.
    I will never "buy" again, only "build".

Top Bottom