• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • canebreaker

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 2, 2020
    Horn Lake
    I built a wet tumbler from a treadmill. The cylinder was 6" PVC with three 1" angle strips inside to stir the cases.
    The cases went into a dry tumbler with walnut media then decapped using a universal die. They fit in the shell hold fine.
    These were badly tarnished cases. They went into the wet tumbler for 2 hours, rinsed 5 times then into the dryer tumbler.
    Back to the press to size, fit the shell holder fine.
    Cases were trimmed, fit the shell holder fine.
    I use 20W SAE oil to lube my cases. Back to the wet tumbler without pins, dryer tumbler and dry tumbler with corncob media with Nu Finish.
    Now to the handheld primer tool. Some won't fit in the shell holder, bulged brass, where? I have 14 shell holders for 223 and none fit. I checked a few in the chamber of my gun, they fit. I used a mic checking every place on a few of the cases, couldn't find anything wrong.
    I asked about it on a few websites and groups. Maybe the ammo was shot from an auto is why they won't fit the shell holder was the most answers I got. If that was so would they fit in the first, second and third shell holder? I was about to scrap 2 buckets of brass. I put a lid on them and sat them to the side. On a facebook group 6 months later I got a good reply. His buddy had the same problem. Bought a Saeco 38spl sizing die, removed the guts and ran the cases through like a debulge die. I found one on ebay, $17 shipped. Had to lube the cases so they would slide through. I checked 10 cases to make sure they wouldn't fit the shell holder. Ran them through the die and checked again. They fit the shell holder.
    A month later I got a reply about my wet tumbler. The 1" aluminum strips are beating your brass. I cut them down to 1/4" and ran a batch of brass 4 hours. All fit the shell holders.
    Two 5 gallon buckets of 223 brass is a lot to scrap when it has a simple fix. Some have been reloaded 30 to 50 times since without another problem.

Top Bottom