• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kenjb

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 23, 2009
    Indianapolis
    What is an acceptable weight variance in lead bullets? I have found as much as 10% diff from hi to low in 9mm, .45, and .38-55 lead bullets (the .38-55 are hand cast, the others purchased).

And, what to do if 10% is not acceptable?

G_Stines

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 2, 2010
    Central Indiana
    What is an acceptable weight variance in lead bullets? I have found as much as 10% diff from hi to low in 9mm, .45, and .38-55 lead bullets (the .38-55 are hand cast, the others purchased).

And, what to do if 10% is not acceptable?

As a caster and reloader, here are my list in order:
    Quality of the cast
    Fine crisp lines, with no wrinkles, and should have the cast print, almost dead center on the bottom. If it has crisp lines, but the cast print is a little off, I may keep it as a plinker, depending on the day.

Weight
    I weighed my bullets for the first 3 or 4 years I casted
    What I found out was the weight differences were either due to:

1). Differences between alloys and batches, so I keep those separate now
    2). Differences in weights due to variations in filling out of the base edge - So, you should make sure that they have been sized already before weighing
    3). Voids, which almost always had air pocket depressions or signs on the bullet - which I automatically discard to remelt

And now my bullets shoot extremely consistently and I don't have to waste my time weighing bullets.

A 10% difference is fairly large to me, and screams air pocket. What grain are they supposed to be? I would sort them out into groups such as if you have 115gr 9mm, and then you have some that are 123.9/124, I would bet those are different casts. That variation is too large. Just watch your weights separate them out and consult the reload manual for appropriate loads, especially if you tend to load light.

ETA: I apparently missed earlier that only the .38 are hand cast. So the others were purchased from a company or someone? Is it where you just have one particular bullet that is significantly heavier or lighter, or is it a gradual slope where you can actually arrange them up and down vs grouping by weight? If there is a flow of ups and downs and you can create a "weight scale" from that one box, I would contact the manufacturer because I am pretty sure that 10% is high than Quality Control would allow.

kenjb

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 23, 2009
    Indianapolis
    For clarity's sake, the 10% is high to low. The 115gr go from about (this was yesterday, after all) 113.5 to maybe as high as 116. The 45 from 243.7 to 247 or so (s/b 245, I guess.) Looks like more than 10% now that I look again. I only weighed about 10 of 100 or more (well, 500 9mm). The 38s were cast by either my dad or grand dad many, MANY years ago. 9mm & 45 are purchased recently.

I'm not looking at shooting anything other than casual target and plinking, so...

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    Um, that's nothing like 10%. (116-113.5)/115 is about 2.2% total variation. (247-243.7)/245 is 1.3%. Doesn't sound that bad to me.

G_Stines

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 2, 2010
    Central Indiana
    For clarity's sake, the 10% is high to low. The 115gr go from about (this was yesterday, after all) 113.5 to maybe as high as 116. The 45 from 243.7 to 247 or so (s/b 245, I guess.) Looks like more than 10% now that I look again. I only weighed about 10 of 100 or more (well, 500 9mm). The 38s were cast by either my dad or grand dad many, MANY years ago. 9mm & 45 are purchased recently.

I'm not looking at shooting anything other than casual target and plinking, so...

So... More like 1-3%:dunno:.... cause 10% of 115 is 11.5 which means you would be coming out in the 126.5/127 high or 103.5/104 low range :D which is why I was concerned about other molds. A 1-3% variance from the intended grain is well within normal limits, and should not give you any issues with just plinking and having some fun at the range. Have at it!!!:draw:

kenjb

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 23, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Err, yer all right. What was I thinking? When you get to my age, calculating in my head can be a real problem... Maybe my wife is right...nah, not possible.

Thanks for setting me straight.

xring62

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    Henry county
    I bought 200+ lead .40s at Indy1500 said on package 170 gr but I always weigh and make sure of that ,they were 176-185 gr. Im glad I didnt take the statement on the package as true. so Im loading them all according to the highest weight,thats bad casting,I had always got my bullets from a 'professional'caster ,all weighing withing a grain and he dont use that 'blue' lube you see so much of,which is not the best to use.

45lcrevolver

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Aug 2, 2011
    Indianapolis
    For me it depends on what you are doing. If you are just plinking the weight shouldn't matter unless you are using a max or over the max load. For plinking I usually use the min since I'm trying to stretch my powder but that's not every one. Now if you are reloading for accuracy my variance becomes very strict. No more than 1/2 a grain. But it just depends on the person. I know people that shoot everything they cast regardless of variance in weight.

45lcrevolver

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Aug 2, 2011
    Indianapolis
    I bought 200+ lead .40s at Indy1500 said on package 170 gr but I always weigh and make sure of that ,they were 176-185 gr. Im glad I didnt take the statement on the package as true. so Im loading them all according to the highest weight,thats bad casting,I had always got my bullets from a 'professional'caster ,all weighing withing a grain and he dont use that 'blue' lube you see so much of,which is not the best to use.

Did you buy from the guys that have the "we buy brass" sign? I have bought some of their 9mm 147gr bullets and they were great. Never did weigh them.:n00b:

Top Bottom