• ...and so much more!
  • HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Thoughts?

[video=youtube;XDLWDGFpifc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XDLWDGFpifc[/video]

[video=youtube;IdR0RmpDbpc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IdR0RmpDbpc[/video]

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    My first thought was "what happens to all that energy? Sure, it stops the round, but how much energy is transferred to the skull. I can see it now: " Good news, bad news Mrs. Monkey. The bullet was stopped by Mr. Monkey's hat. The bad news is the energy transfer drove a piece of his skull into his brain."

No thanks!

bartonmd

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 11, 2008
    Mooresville/Camby
    My first thought was "what happens to all that energy? Sure, it stops the round, but how much energy is transferred to the skull. I can see it now: " Good news, bad news Mrs. Monkey. The bullet was stopped by Mr. Monkey's hat. The bad news is the energy transfer drove a piece of his skull into his brain."

No thanks!

Pretty much... It's one thing when there's a bunch of soft tissue to deform and transfer energy, but unless the had is hard like a helmet (which I'm sure it wouldn't be), I suspect it would catch the bullet, but the part of the hat that catches the bullet would probably be protruding into your skull.

Mike

bradmedic04

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Sep 24, 2013
    NWI
    Paraphrasing 50 cent:

Even my hat is bulletproof. Doctor said I might get a concussion, but that's better than a hole in the head.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    My "good news/bad news" thought was:

Good news....he's not dead.

Bad news...have you heard of Terry Schiavo?

Speaking of energy transfer, I immediately thought of this (if you haven't seen this video, it's really, really interesting):

[video=youtube;MJ910R0SIsw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJ910R0SIsw[/video]

nakinate

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 1, 2013
    Noblesville
    I read the thread title as "baseball bat" and was wondering what the point would be. If they made this and were able to secure licensing (NBA, NFL, mlb) it may be something I'd use. I'm not wearing a plain black hat.

bartonmd

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 11, 2008
    Mooresville/Camby
    Truthfully, I had't watched the video when I responded, above, thinking it was for the bullet-proof hat that was like a bullet-proof shirt project that somebody was working on, which was thin, soft protection.

Looking at the videos, it actually is just a section of a military helmet, only right in the front. That's part of your head that, as long as it's spread out over a hard plate of some kind, can actually take the energy of a bullet impacting it. Yeah, you'll have a concussion, and maybe a neck issue, but not a bullet in the brain. Not sure what the odds are of getting hit exactly right there in the head, but it's got to be better than nothing, for cops and security or whoever.

Mike

Top Bottom