Burglar sues homeowner who shot him-Portland, IN..

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DeadeyeChrista'sdad

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Feb 28, 2009
    winchester/farmland
    Boy I hope they transfer that suit to Randolph County and someone who shaves my face gets picked for jury duty. Burglaries in Dunkirk took a noticeable downturn for some time after this happened. I'd find the homeowner guilty of injudicious marksmanship and sentence him to a month of Sundays. At the range.

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    True. If the place the homeowner shot him was inside the garage instead of down the alley the homeowner would be a lot better off.

Or.......if the shooter had picked up a piece of scrap wood or pipe or something and put it down in the alley where the shots were fired, he could have come up with a believable self-defense story and avoided all charges as well as the lawsuit. (assuming there weren't any other witnesses)

Last edited:

AmmoManAaron

Master
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Feb 20, 2015
    I-get-around
    Or.......if the shooter had picked up a piece of scrap wood or pipe or something and put it down in the alley where the shots were fired, he could have come up with a believable self-defense story and avoided all charges as well as the lawsuit. (assuming there weren't any other witnesses)

You would still have a problem with the bullet wounds. Even a through and through bullet wound will show the direction that the bullet entered the perp. Also, don't tamper with evidence, (ethics aside) you will forget something or mess something up and it will make it even harder to defend yourself in court.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    So will the bullet absorber continue to break into garages?
    If so, will the next person who shoots him send a whopper Bass Pro gift card to the previous shooter for supporting "catch and release"?

varadatt

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 17, 2013
    Castleton
    While it was a bad shoot with the homeowner being charged there is no way the thief should be able to profit while injured during illegal activities. Now if he was just walking down the alley that's a whole different story.

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    You would still have a problem with the bullet wounds. Even a through and through bullet wound will show the direction that the bullet entered the perp. Also, don't tamper with evidence, (ethics aside) you will forget something or mess something up and it will make it even harder to defend yourself in court.

You're thinking:
    csi-miami.jpg

When it's actually more like:
    Barney%2BFife.jpg

Fullmag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    Criminal dies in a criminal act and tears will not be shed.

???? Travon Martin ring a bell??... Ferguson,Missouri.....Got so tired of hearing that drama unfold..... So yeah, criminals dying do leave behind a wake, even if they were found guilty.

Fullmag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    Boy I hope they transfer that suit to Randolph County and someone who shaves my face gets picked for jury duty. Burglaries in Dunkirk took a noticeable downturn for some time after this happened. I'd find the homeowner guilty of injudicious marksmanship and sentence him to a month of Sundays. At the range.

So true. Give them thieves some to think about not a pay day!

Markus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 13, 2015
    Indianapolis
    I remember reading a similar story about a farmer in Britian who shot a burglar as he was trying to get out the window. Burglar sued because his wounds prevented him climbing through windows and he was unable to make a living stealing anymore. He won!

singlesix

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, In
    I remember reading a similar story about a farmer in Britian who shot a burglar as he was trying to get out the window. Burglar sued because his wounds prevented him climbing through windows and he was unable to make a living stealing anymore. He won!
    That is Britain what did you expect?

Merk

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 22, 2015
    Jasper
    Fail on the shooters part. Though the criminal charges should suffice, dude will pay for the mistake with $$

brogers261990

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 21, 2016
    Flora
    Obvious blow-back aside, one of the things that probably concerns me the most about this is the possibility of politicians coming after Castle Doctrine or Stand Your Ground legislation due to criminal stupidity (and no, not just that of the person committing the crime).

Top Bottom