• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pjt

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    Hope it wasn't being used as a survey marker. Know a former surveyor's helper who found a gun barrell that was a corner marker.

Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    110   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County
    Cool thanks for the replies and info! My buddy and I were thinking it was an older Winchester by the looks as well but not sure. I have the reciever end soaking in motor oil right now, I have no idea if it's still loaded or not. I figured with the octagon barrel it was pretty old. And he found it in the middle of his property so if it was marking anything it wasn't a property line recognized in this day and age. :yesway: Going to be a wall hanger for sure, just want to get it cleaned up somewhat first.

Hemingway

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 30, 2009
    Indiana
    are you familiar with the electrolysis process? It will remove all rust.

there are many, many, many threads of people doing incredible work at The Garage Journal Do a search on there.

It would be interesting to do it on your rifle to see how it comes out. I think most people would be surprised what can be restored using this process.

Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    110   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County
    are you familiar with the electrolysis process? It will remove all rust.

there are many, many, many threads of people doing incredible work at The Garage Journal Do a search on there.

It would be interesting to do it on your rifle to see how it comes out. I think most people would be surprised what can be restored using this process.

I'm not familiar with it but it sounds pretty awesome, and well suited to this mission! I will do some searching and see what I can find. Thanks!

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    You need to look into some electrolytic rust removal techniques.

You would be amazed at how much of the rust can be removed with some very very simple application.

OR use molasses. google it.

both methods work very well.

Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    110   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County
    You need to look into some electrolytic rust removal techniques.

You would be amazed at how much of the rust can be removed with some very very simple application.

OR use molasses. google it.

both methods work very well.

Thanks for the tips! I will check out the molasses for sure, I would love to figure out what it's and the age. If possible, that's. :)

danielson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Napoleon
    I also think, even a hundred years ago, there were not alot of reasons for burying a firearm, and none of them were good.

Friking cool find.

toyotaslave

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 22, 2011
    Princeton
    This has got me very interested. I too would like to know what lurks beneath the rust. Hopefully you can find some markings to help identify it.

I'm thinking (no matter what it turns out to be) you should bring it back, or have someone else help, to it's original state. I'd love to see whatever that is turned back into a functional piece of history. Kinda like "if these walls could talk."

Top Bottom