• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ghostseeker61

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 7, 2016
    Anderson
    I've looked at hundreds of online suggestions and everyone of them different. So I'm gonna put my trust in ya'll. What is the best way to remove the burn marks on a stainless steel cylinder?

Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Mishawaka
    I used to try and clean immediately after applying Hoppes. Now I apply it and leave it alone for about an hour. When I go back after it, it's so much less hassle. Follow up with a lead wipe away cloth and it's a done deal.

Ghostseeker61

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 7, 2016
    Anderson
    Thanx ya'll anything is better, except scratches. Now my battle gun is another story, Clean on the inside and Functional is my only concern. Appreciate the help...

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    I used to use a Rig lead remover cloth, still have a little scrap left, but haven't seen one for sale for several years. It probably had some chemical in it that was banned ~ sure worked on the SS though, had to be careful not to use it on a blued gun as it would remove the bluing.

I also use Fitz polish / cleaner, it is a little slower and more work but will remove all the stain and carbon. I have three SS handguns, a Colt Anaconda, a Colt King Cobra and a Colt Double Eagle, I have use the Rig cloth and the Fitz on all three of them.

One Shot One Kill

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Oct 15, 2014
    Near The Dunes
    I'm kinda "anal" about my guns though.
    I used to be the same way. Now I'm only that way with my mosin (corrosive surplus) and muzzleloader. I've realized you can do more harm than good, and it's not worth the tedium unless you've put a lot of rounds through. I've cleaned my boyhood .22 once in my life, and it has NEVER had any failure of any kind, as well as being a tackdriver. All my guns are "duty" guns. They all have a job, so I'm resigned to them showing signs of such.
    Im too poor to afford safe queens!

whatever you do, just have fun shooting! That's what counts!

canterbc

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 13, 2012
    Noblesville
    I used to be the same way. Now I'm only that way with my mosin (corrosive surplus) and muzzleloader. I've realized you can do more harm than good, and it's not worth the tedium unless you've put a lot of rounds through. I've cleaned my boyhood .22 once in my life, and it has NEVER had any failure of any kind, as well as being a tackdriver. All my guns are "duty" guns. They all have a job, so I'm resigned to them showing signs of such.
    Im too poor to afford safe queens!

whatever you do, just have fun shooting! That's what counts!

That is pretty impressive!

One Shot One Kill

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Oct 15, 2014
    Near The Dunes
    That is pretty impressive!
    Credit is due to Marlin for making a great model 60! It may not be as impressive to hear that my childhood was only about 10 years ago lol! Cleaned it sometime last year because of leading from .22 thunderturds. They're the only ammo I could find during the shortage. For the previous 10yrs I used plated federal bulk.

Round count is probably close to 5000+ (probs more, didn't count bricks back when they were $10 ea) rounds, I don't shoot as much as I should, and mostly use it for squirrel over targets.

Last edited:

Hopper

Master
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Nov 6, 2013
    Hamilton County
    I've had really good luck with Flitz Bore Cleaner, and an old nylon toothbrush, for getting the carbon burn marks off the face of revolver cylinders. If you have a bead blast finish, it's a lot more gentle than using a lead-free gun cloth, which will polish the bead blast finish right off. The Flitz label even says it's safe on blued, stainless, and nickel guns. Takes a little scrubbing, but I find it works well.

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    Flitz is good. So is the Honda polish they sell at motorcycle shops. That cleans up aluminum real good too.

In the shop, I've got a Norton blending wheel that makes quick work of it, but it's expensive for small projects. I swear by that Honda polish.

Top Bottom