Burris FastFire for KMIII Hunter, or something else?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ryninger

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Newburgh
    Hey All, I've been looking for a small/low profile reflex or red dot sight to put on top of my MKIII Hunter. Does anyone have experience with a Burris Fast Fire? Would you recommend the picatinny mount or the Ruger specific mount? Or is there something else along that price point (~$230 with mount) or a tad more that you would recommend over the Burris?

R

cwillour

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    90   0   0
    Dec 10, 2011
    Northern Indiana
    I have used the original FastFire and it was pretty decent. If I get another, it would be the FastFire III (the parallax-free range is much better and you get the ability to change batteries w/o having to remove the sight from its mount.)

I have only used the picatinny mounts on my MKII, so I cannot speak to the Ruger-specific mount. With that, however, I would still suggest a picatinny mount for your application so you could either move the FastFire to another weapon or easily put another sight on your MKIII.

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    Terre Haute
    Hey, a chance to show off again!

I have a Fastfire on my MKII. Works great. Had it for a few years now, and it is the pistol that everyone likes to shoot. Hard to miss with the Fastfire.

mk2withburris.jpg

I got the rear sight adapter, and replaced the rear sight. These are the parts.

mountpieces.jpg

I would have to read the manual again, but I am pretty sure it is parallax free out to 50yds. I do agree with cwillour about getting the Fastfire III for the easy battery replacement.

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    I'm running a Burris Fast Fire II on an AK with a Midwest Industries / US Palm optic specific rail. Much like your Ruger, the lower you can mount your optic on AK, the better. This thing fits the bill, and has worked out great. I'm running a Sparc on another AK, and although it's a bargain in the world of optics, I like how much lower the Burris sits.
    As far as mounts go, I'd go with whatever could be mounted lower. My guess would be the rear sight dovetail, although the picatinny rail mount might be cool if you could still utilize your iron sights.

smitty12b

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    I have a FF II on my Glock 35 and FF III at one o'clock on a AR and I love them both. The model III is the best by far. Push button on/off and you don't have to remove it from the mount to change the battery.

Boonl1776

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2013
    Indy
    Hope you enjoy it! I put a Burris FF2 on my MKIII a few months back. Now all my friends want one.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    Finally got her all setup and ready to go! :): Thanks for the guidance!

What mount did you end up with? I think you will be pretty pleased with your setup. A sparc IMO is just to big for a big for a pistol. The ruger would probably run with a sparc because the runs action doesnt have to move the wieght of the sight, but the Fastfire is still a better fit

Ryninger

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Newburgh
    FF3 with Ruger specific mount. Tried the Picatinny mount but wanted a cleaner look, so I ordered the Ruger mount and it was money well spent! Took it out for a test drive yesterday and am a big fan of this setup!
    IMG_6617_zpsa4b854dc.jpg

Top Bottom