• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    $650 is not a bad price. Cabela's has it for the same list price as Gander, so Gander's sale price is actually reasonable.

E'villeGunner

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2010
    Southern Indiana
    Hard to tell which one this is on Bushmaster's website. But I'm guessing this is the low end one. Still, all I've ever heard was good things about Bushmaster. And this will be my first venture into the AR world.

UncleMike

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    NE area of IN
    I keep hearing horror stories about the Carbon 15. I can tell you that I have over 1000 flawless rounds through mine. I t sure is a lot lighter than anything else.
    Same here!
    My Carbon 15 is every bit at rugged as my aluminum Bushmaster.
    Flawless operation, and a huge weight difference, make it one of my favorite rifles. :D

ryknoll3

Master
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    I wouldn't own one as my only AR, but if I was looking for a superlight option or a gun for the wife or kids I MIGHT consider one.

For near that ballpark of $650, you can own a REAL AR.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    The horror stories were with the original Professional Ordnance Carbon 15s which unfortunately had many proprietary items in them. One was the bolt which is different than the standard AR bolt and not replaceable.

I have a Pro-Ord Carbon 15 that I used to enjoy shooting. Then the bolt broke and a call to Bushmaster told me that they don't have any original replacements but for a mere $300 or so would convert my oldie into a more modern one that uses a standard AR bolt and barrel.

Anyway, Bushmaster took a lot of time and effort to fix all the issues with the original Pro-Ord Carbon 15, and turned it into a really nice light weight rifle.

As for mine, it now sits in my basement on a shelf of shame as it is just a really nice paperweight. One day I might spend the money and let Bushmaster update it, but not now.

The Keymaster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 12, 2010
    Manistee County, MI
    I wouldn't own one as my only AR, but if I was looking for a superlight option or a gun for the wife or kids I MIGHT consider one.

For near that ballpark of $650, you can own a REAL AR.

It is a REAL AR. I shoots like any other AR. Mine has proven to be just as durable and reliable as any other AR I have owned. Just because parts of it are carbon fiber doesn't make it any less of an AR. By your logic, a Glock is not a real pistol because it is partially polymer.

ryknoll3

Master
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    It is a REAL AR. I shoots like any other AR. Mine has proven to be just as durable and reliable as any other AR I have owned. Just because parts of it are carbon fiber doesn't make it any less of an AR. By your logic, a Glock is not a real pistol because it is partially polymer.

Not quite the same, as the Glock wasn't reengineered from a different platform. It's a design all it's own.

My point was simply that for the same money you could own an AR constructed of "traditional" material, if one was so inclined. While it may be TOTALLY unfounded, there is a reason a gagillion companies make aluminum AR's, and one company CURRENTLY makes polymer AR-platform rifles. There's much more of a market for the aluminum receiver guns, so more people are interested in them. I simply wanted to point out that you COULD get an aluminum receivered gun for similar money. I had no intent to offend anyone with a Carbon 15. Enjoy!

E'villeGunner

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2010
    Southern Indiana
    Went to Gander and would'nt you know it they were sold out! Said they MIGHT get some more in a week, or so. Checked on Bud's Guns website and was quite impressed with all the favored reviews for this model. I think that's where I'm going to go for mine.

An employee of Ganders was telling me that Bushmaster had bought the rights to the Carbon 15 process. So...maybe that's a reason that others aren't making theirs in a polymer. Or maybe they decided to stay with aluminum since that is how their machinery is set up. I don't know. I do know that 42 out of 43 reviews for this rifle was given 5 stars out of a possible 5 and the other was a 4 star.
    I put a lot of weight behind what other owners/buyers of....whatever have to say about their purchases. So in that regard I'm definitely buying a Carbon 15!

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    Just for the record, it is called a "Carbon 15" because it is carbon fiber reinforced plastic. It has an amazing strength to weight ratio and according to those who drive Indy cars, is amazing!

Carbon Fiber reinforced plastic is self lubricating so be careful how you take care of yours if and when you get it.

Top Bottom