• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • indynotch50

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 30, 2008
    I've been looking at getting into the AR game.
    I don't shoot a lot. It will not get a huge round count by any means.

I am plan on using this around the farm. Shoot random objects, coyotes, gophers, trips in the woods and just to play with. Like I said, it's not going to be a hardcore, high count, range gun and though I'm pretty tough on my weapons, I'm not going to be putting it through debris trials or anything like that.

I'm not looking for a huge investment. Archery is my ticket and I'm not huge into guns. However, everything I have is strictly for hunting or my carry pistol. So I'm looking to diversify my "collection" a bit.

So what are your thoughts on this? The barrel is 4150, everything is chrome lined, has the dust cover, forward assist, has optics and is cost conscious...

ljk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    May 21, 2013
    I won't get it. there are plenty good cheap guns out there, but polymer and carbon are just not ready yet.

indynotch50

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 30, 2008
    I won't get it. there are plenty good cheap guns out there, but polymer and carbon are just not ready yet.

Is there one in the same price range with the same options. The only one I can find close to it is the del-ton sport

WestSider

Master
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Apr 16, 2008
    Putnam County
    Is there one in the same price range with the same options. The only one I can find close to it is the del-ton sport

You can get a M&P 15 Sport for around $650.

I just bought a carbine AR from PSA for $999 which is good quality. It also came with an Aimpoint Pro, so I basically paid around $600 for the rifle :D

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN

?? really? You realize this gun has been on the market for at least 20 years?

The AR upper and lower are not stressed components. It makes little difference what they are made of.

The BCG, barrel extension, and barrel are the stressed components in a AR.

netsecurity

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 14, 2011
    Hancock County
    As far as AR-15's go this one is at the bottom of my list. That's because I've heard the lower is mostly plastic (or similar) and doesn't hold up well. I've heard of reliability problems also, probably related to the trigger group? Anyways, I'd stick with aluminum.

You can get a DPMS for pretty cheap, and while it may not be 100% milspec, it is the same reliable design/parts as about any AR-15. For that matter a standard Bushmaster (or Stag, Olympic etc.) all should be good.

ljk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    May 21, 2013

The AR upper and lower are not stressed components. It makes little difference what they are made of.

their weakest parts are the area around the pins, there's just not much material to help hold it. unlike metal, carbon doesn't flex/give. it either holds up or crack.

bushmaster doesn't have the greatest customer service in the world either.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    I have three friends that have owned them since they first came out. The internet rumors that I have heard, and possibly you are passing on, are just not true for these 3 rifles. Sure it is just 3 rifles......

I don't see how cracks around the pins can occur since there is no stress here from firing. and even if there is cracks, how these cracks can have any effect on function. If mine cracked, I would fill it with JB weld and carry on..

I personally had a problem with a Bushmaster trigger. They fixed it without question or drama in less than a week.

I own 2 Bushmaster rifle at the present time. One of which my wife has laid claim to.

mvician

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    NW Indiana

Being around 20 years doesn't mean they are a good choice.
    They are still breaking, and I'm talking recent models, not ones from years ago.

Vulcan, Hesse, Blackthorne, or whatever they are going by now has been on the market for the same time, I wouldn't buy any of those either.

recent posts

http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1487816

One week later he posts this thread

http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1488748

:twocents:

Last edited:

indynotch50

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 30, 2008
    The S&W Sport doesn't match up, option to option to the bushmaster. I really like the extractor and dust cover on the bm.

Also, what conditions are the broken ones under. Again, this isn't going to have a really high round count out of it. Probably a couple hundred a year, if that.

However, looks like I need to do more research on this topic.

Also, thanks for the debate guys.

WestSider

Master
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Apr 16, 2008
    Putnam County
    The S&W Sport doesn't match up, option to option to the bushmaster. I really like the extractor and dust cover on the bm.

Also, what conditions are the broken ones under. Again, this isn't going to have a really high round count out of it. Probably a couple hundred a year, if that.

However, looks like I need to do more research on this topic.

Also, thanks for the debate guys.

I respectfully disagree, I would take a M&P Sport over one of those polymer framed AR's any day. Yes, the Sport is missing a dust cover. So what? I believe your exact words were "I'm not going to be putting it through debris trials or anything like that."

As for the extractor, both rifles have them or they wouldn't function as semi-automatic. I believe you are referring to the lack of forward assist on the Sport. Again, very debatable on the necessity of that on the rifle.

Having owned both mil-spec rifles and the M&P Sport, I can say that it is a very capable rifle and worth every bit of the $650 or so you can get them for. There are applications where I would not recommend the Sport, but based on your original description the Sport sounded to me like it would fit the bill perfectly, and at a lower cost than a plastic Bushmaster.

If you feel you need the forward assist and dust cover, I would skip the plastic Bushmaster and just get a PSA, Colt or something. Like I said earlier, I just picked up a very high quality full AR/M4 carbine with an Aimpoint Pro red dot ($400 sight) from PSA for $999.

Top Bottom