• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GIJEW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    I was in Dick's and looked at a bushmaster carbine w/MOE fore-end. The lower and upper receivers were carbon (the whole thing weighed no more than a .44mag). The sales clerk said that the carbon receivers had been tortured tested and "they couldn't make 'em fail". I 'sure' there's no conflict of interest, since he just works there for retail wages but 2nd, 3rd, & 4th, opinions would be appreciated.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    I was in Dick's and looked at a bushmaster carbine w/MOE fore-end. The lower and upper receivers were carbon (the whole thing weighed no more than a .44mag). The sales clerk said that the carbon receivers had been tortured tested and "they couldn't make 'em fail". I 'sure' there's no conflict of interest, since he just works there for retail wages but 2nd, 3rd, & 4th, opinions would be appreciated.

I would steer clear. No one that I personally know that bought one still has one.

Herstal

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 22, 2012
    Indianapolis
    I shot one this weekend, had the carbon front end on it and a fixed carbon stock. It was extremely light weight, which I really liked. The front end was very comfortable oval shape. I was impressed with it. No idea on it's reliability after thousands of rounds, but we've seen these types of polymers on handguns for a few decades. The real question is did they do all the finite analysis to figure out where they need to beef up the AR receiver to account for the (somewhat) lower strength of this material vs. aluminum.

HavokCycle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 10, 2012
    Zionsville
    i dislike carbons for one reason - they're proprietary.
    meaning, only bushmaster has made them, and they've made specific parts to go with them. unlike say, EVERY OTHER AR ever built they do not share compatibility. which parts, i'm unsure.
    i like standardization, as in i like knowing that a BCG from a colt or a DPMS or a Del-ton will all fit my weapon, and so on.

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    I liked the material and the construction...

What I didn't like is the rifle its self, I've never encountered a reliable carbon series rifle.

If they could make one run 100%, it'd be one sweet as hell package at that weight.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    I shot one this weekend, had the carbon front end on it and a fixed carbon stock. It was extremely light weight, which I really liked. The front end was very comfortable oval shape. I was impressed with it. No idea on it's reliability after thousands of rounds, but we've seen these types of polymers on handguns for a few decades. The real question is did they do all the finite analysis to figure out where they need to beef up the AR receiver to account for the (somewhat) lower strength of this material vs. aluminum.

Right, but you do not see a polymer slide on any pistol.

traderdan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 20, 2009
    Martinsville
    It has been several years now....but I have owned two of the Carbon-15 type rifles and they functioned well.I cannot say that I "torture tested" them in any way.

Herstal

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 22, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Right, but you do not see a polymer slide on any pistol.

Sure, and all the pressure bearing portions of the Bushmaster Carbon-15 are still steel -- the barrel, breech, bolt etc. It's only the upper and lower receiver bodies that are poly. I didn't take it apart, but I'd guess most of the lower parts kit is metal too.

top hat 45

Sharpshooter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 4, 2008
    northern shelby co.
    i own a carbon 15 pistol. had no reliability probs ever with it. but past weekend changed upper to a dpms that had lying around. barrel nut dia. different, had to grind front of lower carbon in front of pivot, to mount it. put free float handguard and nut tightened fine to the stainless barrel and bcg and bolt functioned fine. reason for change was pic rail upper for better red dot mount. also took lower completely apart and changed fire control group to a lighter pull, everything interchanged fine.

so, in lieu of the barrelnut/upper thread difference, if you are going to shoot it in stock form, go for it if you liked the weight and feel.

KoopaKGB

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 99%
    99   1   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    South Bend
    Ive got a carbon 15 pistol (used). Upon receiving it I inspected it as best I could and it looked solid. I've only babied a few hundred rounds thru it. Steel cased .223. No problems as of yet. Its a super lightweight gun and really fun. I never knew a semi auto .223 could have so much recoil but this gun is so light that it does have a good bit of recoil to it, then again mine isnt a rifle.

Sure, and all the pressure bearing portions of the Bushmaster Carbon-15 are still steel -- the barrel, breech, bolt etc. It's only the upper and lower receiver bodies that are poly. I didn't take it apart, but I'd guess most of the lower parts kit is metal too.

Basically its just the poly shell that reduces the weight. The parts that truely need to be metal still are.

Top Bottom