• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dtruck260

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 29, 2009
    Roanoke, Indiana
    I was looking at one till 21st century had ak74s @ 399, lol (I know not 7.62 but it did kill my AR budget)

In all seriousness, it looked to be a good way togo for a heavier round/Cheaper round

mettle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Nov 15, 2008
    central southern IN
    Lets hear you opinions on this rifle in this configuration. All replies will be appreciated.:popcorn:

Why? 7.62x39 isn't all that cheap to shoot anymore. Add to the fact that it's not much of a performer when looking at 5.56 in comparison. They use 'different' mags too, it fits in the lower sure; but, why not get a serious AK from Arsenal and be done.

As the poster above mentioned, how about S&W's 5.45x39 upper? You are getting a better performer than the AK round; and, shooting it for $129/1080 rounds at AIM surplus right now.

And, when you are done shooting/practising with the 5.45, throw the 5.56 twin upper back on the lower and ta da! The better of the 3!

Just a thought... my :twocents::)

alan robert

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    Indiana
    7.62x39 is accurate in the AR platform. There is a small fan club out there. It is slowly catching on.

Cheap ammo, good deer round (for states that allow rifle cartridges), proven man stopper, used on feral pigs and coyotes; good out to 300 meters with the right round, etc.

Magazines are improving, firing pins (Model 1's enhanced firing pins) and bolts (AR Performance 7.62x39 alloy super bolts-$99) have been tweaked for reliability with steel european surplus ammo, a few gas piston systems developed for this round, uppers only are available, there is a movement to develop different rounds (lighter bullets).

Bushmaster is ok. I have owned Bushy before in .223/5.56, no problems.

Weight looks good (6.5 lbs.), removable carry handle, m4 profile barrel. Price is a little high for me ($1330 mfg. retail).

I put my rig together for around $1000, including (5) 30 C products mags., and a rear sight.

If you can live with the price, I say go for it.

I own a DPMS DI flat top upper in this caliber for a couple of years. It has a 16" heavy fluted barrel (1x10 twist), free floated (4) rail aluminum hand guard.

I have a Stag lower with magpul CTR shoulder stock, miad grips, trigger guard, h3 buffer. The rifle weighs 7lbs. 4ozs. empty. Real good fit with the DPMS and Stag together.

So not too much of a weight increase for a heavier caliber.

Last edited:

WIZZO499

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 29, 2009
    The only thing I've heard bad about the 7.62x39 AR's is that the bolts are weak.

Other than that, get 'er done.

Top Bottom