Business Owner - Popular Types Of Uppers - Lengths, Rails Gas Tubes?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DeanSports

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 23, 2014
    Columbus
    I'm a dealer for many brands of Rifle Parts and accessories.

I have been building complete upper receivers and selling them. They sell very well. I am the best price I can find and can always match others prices even when they have things like a cheaper plastic hand guard.

But, I have only been selling a single type of upper receiver. Mainly because it is one of my taste. But I was hoping to invest in this a little more.

My question is, what are the most popular "flavors" of AR uppers?

Barrel Length
    Barrel Lining and finish
    Monorail vs Quad Rail
    Carbine Mid or Rifle Length
    Muzzle - Black vs Chrome
    BCG - 158 Carpenter, NiB

What are you thoughts?

Last edited:

wsenefeld

Master
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Boone Co.
    16" barrel length is probably the most "popular". I personally have gotten bored with the vanilla flavors, so I've gone the sub 16" NFA route.

I'm getting away from NiB as it is a coating. I prefer melonite as it is a treatment and I feel it will last longer. Melonite provides durability comparable to cold hammer forging. This treatment can be done to stainless so sub-moa accuracy can easily be achieved.

Quad rails are heavy but if the tacticool crowd seems to be your clientele, you may want to keep them stocked. I think I'm going to prefer the new m-lok system. JL Billet makes beautiful m-lok rails that I may be "needing".

I prefer to use the longest gas system possible. My rifles have...
    7.5" - pistol length
    10.5" - carbine length
    11.5" - carbine length
    16" - midlength (x2)
    18" - rifle length

Chrome muzzle devices look gawdy. Although, they probably go well with a gold plated ak or a gat...

For bolt material, people debate between 9130 and C158 so I don't know that you'll have a clear winner there. I'd rather know it's individually MPI/HPT not batch.

Not advertising my age, political views, or anything, so I'll just post them in my sig line... yup that'll fool 'em.

Edit: You're lucky this isn't arfcom. You would have already had your own pit by now.

Last edited:

Psode27

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2011
    Rochester
    I'd sell what your clients ask for. some people go for a look way more that function. if that's the case it'll probably save you lots of money. I'll have to agree pretty much 100% with wsenefeld though. I hate quad rails. I want rails where I need them, nowhere else. I think chrome on guns generally looks dumb, but I have a thing for red for some reason.
    I've just wondered about myself now though, I'm not sure if I'm "young" anymore... is 28 young? Kinda feeling old and fat lately.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    I really like the apex line of hanguards.... lightweight, grippy, freefloating, strong (metal), and you only add the rails exactly where you want/need them.

jwfuhrman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 95.5%
    21   1   0
    Sep 26, 2009
    Decatur
    The BCM KMR uppers have been selling really really well for me. I'm a factory BCM dealer and I usually sell for $30-$40 or more less than the advertised price on BCM's site. Since November I have done $10,000 in SALES alone of just BCM products, with 60% of it being complete upper receiver sales. The KMR handguards have been the 2nd best stand alone product sale.

Top Bottom