• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    I took my neighbor, who is 16, shooting tonight. He had never even touched a gun, let alone shoot one. His dad went with too, and he told me he hasn't been shooting in years. The look on his face when I unloaded the truck was priceless.

On the way to the range, I talked to him about safety and handling, and after he put his eyes back in his head from the unload, I let him handle them all to get a feel for what he was about to experience. I went over the basics of what to do before, during, and after firing. He was anxious, so I started him off easy with the .22 dedicated AR.

It took him a few rounds to catch the scope, but he was able to hit the steel plate a few times out of the first magazine at about 60 yards. After about 50 rounds of the .22lr, he said he was ready for the AK47. I told him we would get to it, that we were gonna work our way up, so I then handed him the AR .223 and a magazine and instructed him on the operation. He got down on one knee, pulled the charging handle, lined up his sights and pulled the trigger. He got so excited that he stood straight up, and swung the gun around on his hip, aimed right at me, and was grinning from ear to ear. I took evasive action, and in a stern voice told him to lay the rifle on the ground and step away from it. He seem puzzled at first, but I had to reinforce the safety issue for a few minutes.

I then got out the SKS and handed it to him. He wasn't sure what to expect, but as he pulled the trigger, I thought it was going to knock him on his ass. (He only weighs 100lbs) He fired about 10 rounds from the SKS, and again asked for the AK. So I cut to the chase, handed him the AK, and a 40 round magazine and told him to go to town.

After about 10 rounds, he said it hurt and paused for a few minutes. I told him not to be a puss and keep shooting. :D It took him a few minutes to rack off all 40 rounds, (from my experience, usually the first thing newbs do is take it easy the first few times, then pull the trigger as fast as they can.

He didn't, which surprised me.

As he finished the magazine, he swung it around aiming it my way again. I then raised my voice at him and told him to lay the rifle down on the ground and again, reiterated that he was NOT to swing that thing around, and to keep it pointed in a safe direction. He said he was going to take a break for a few minutes. (he was bothered that I raised my voice at him)

We continued shooting for about 2 more hours. He went through all of my pistols and rifles, and decided he liked the GSG-5 the best, so he asked if he could just shoot that the rest of the night. I complied and handed him a box of .22s and a few magazines and told him to go at it.

Well, it happened again. He swung that thing around aimed right at me, and I blew up. I told him to put the gun on the ground that we were done. I said that I had already told him 3-4 times not to do that, and he was not remembering. He said he was sorry, and I said sorry don't cut it bud. I told him it only took once to ruin our evening. He turned away and went back to the truck with his tail between his legs. His dad said he backed me up for yelling at him, and I said it was nothing against the boy, but it is serious business when it comes to shooting safety, and I don't take recklessness lightly. His dad and I packed the truck back up, and we hopped in the truck. I talked to him all the way back home about how I wasn't attacking him, but merely trying to instill how serious I was about being safe. I told him mental lapses were not allowed and he had to be as sharp as can be when around firearms. He listened pretty well, and asked a few questions, but I felt he didn't feel any animosity towards me about what happened.

When we pulled in, he said thanks and told me is was the most fun he has had in a long time and he couldn't wait to be able to go again. His dad said I created a monster. He asked when he was allowed to own a gun, and how much they were, and where do you buy them...typical questions. I told him I would take him to the Indy 1500 with me if his dad said it was ok. He will **** his pants when he sees all of the guns there.

Overall had an enjoyable evening introducing the boy to shooting. He seemed to be interested, and I am sure I will hear about it for weeks to come. I even took some pictures for him to post on his Facebook page. I told him his friends will think he has lost his marbles. :D

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 29, 2009
    I took my neighbor, who is 16, shooting tonight. He had never even touched a gun, let alone shoot one. His dad went with too, and he told me he hasn't been shooting in years. The look on his face when I unloaded the truck was priceless.

On the way to the range, I talked to him about safety and handling, and after he put his eyes back in his head from the unload, I let him handle them all to get a feel for what he was about to experience. I went over the basics of what to do before, during, and after firing. He was anxious, so I started him off easy with the .22 dedicated AR.

It took him a few rounds to catch the scope, but he was able to hit the steel plate a few times out of the first magazine at about 60 yards. After about 50 rounds of the .22lr, he said he was ready for the AK47. I told him we would get to it, that we were gonna work our way up, so I then handed him the AR .223 and a magazine and instructed him on the operation. He got down on one knee, pulled the charging handle, lined up his sights and pulled the trigger. He got so excited that he stood straight up, and swung the gun around on his hip, aimed right at me, and was grinning from ear to ear. I took evasive action, and in a stern voice told him to lay the rifle on the ground and step away from it. He seem puzzled at first, but I had to reinforce the safety issue for a few minutes.

I then got out the SKS and handed it to him. He wasn't sure what to expect, but as he pulled the trigger, I thought it was going to knock him on his ass. (He only weighs 100lbs) He fired about 10 rounds from the SKS, and again asked for the AK. So I cut to the chase, handed him the AK, and a 40 round magazine and told him to go to town.

After about 10 rounds, he said it hurt and paused for a few minutes. I told him not to be a puss and keep shooting. :D It took him a few minutes to rack off all 40 rounds, (from my experience, usually the first thing newbs do is take it easy the first few times, then pull the trigger as fast as they can.

He didn't, which surprised me.

As he finished the magazine, he swung it around aiming it my way again. I then raised my voice at him and told him to lay the rifle down on the ground and again, reiterated that he was NOT to swing that thing around, and to keep it pointed in a safe direction. He said he was going to take a break for a few minutes. (he was bothered that I raised my voice at him)

We continued shooting for about 2 more hours. He went through all of my pistols and rifles, and decided he liked the GSG-5 the best, so he asked if he could just shoot that the rest of the night. I complied and handed him a box of .22s and a few magazines and told him to go at it.

Well, it happened again. He swung that thing around aimed right at me, and I blew up. I told him to put the gun on the ground that we were done. I said that I had already told him 3-4 times not to do that, and he was not remembering. He said he was sorry, and I said sorry don't cut it bud. I told him it only took once to ruin our evening. He turned away and went back to the truck with his tail between his legs. His dad said he backed me up for yelling at him, and I said it was nothing against the boy, but it is serious business when it comes to shooting safety, and I don't take recklessness lightly. His dad and I packed the truck back up, and we hopped in the truck. I talked to him all the way back home about how I wasn't attacking him, but merely trying to instill how serious I was about being safe. I told him mental lapses were not allowed and he had to be as sharp as can be when around firearms. He listened pretty well, and asked a few questions, but I felt he didn't feel any animosity towards me about what happened.

When we pulled in, he said thanks and told me is was the most fun he has had in a long time and he couldn't wait to be able to go again. His dad said I created a monster. He asked when he was allowed to own a gun, and how much they were, and where do you buy them...typical questions. I told him I would take him to the Indy 1500 with me if his dad said it was ok. He will **** his pants when he sees all of the guns there.

Overall had an enjoyable evening introducing the boy to shooting. He seemed to be interested, and I am sure I will hear about it for weeks to come. I even took some pictures for him to post on his Facebook page. I told him his friends will think he has lost his marbles. :D

+1 for instilling the notion in a young mind.
    +1 for the after-action report.
    -1 for the very, very creepy phraseology of the incident. :):
    = :+1: internets for you! :ingo:

Seriously, congratulations... and thank you.

If more people were just taken to the range and shown that OMG, GUNS DON'T GO OFF ON THEIR OWN and that GUNS CAN BE USED SAFELY, I know that the Brady 'Campaign' wouldn't even be able to keep bailing water out of its tired, ragged canoe.

Ya done good.

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Cool.

Once is all I give 'em and then I always stand directly behind any new shooter I'm working with so I can stay BEHIND them when they start doing the happy dance and grab them to keep it pointed down range.

First words from me and it's the same every time, "We can shoot all you want but the first time I find myself looking down the barrel of one of these we are done. 5 seconds, 5 minutes or 5 hours from now, the first time I find my self looking down this barrel we are done. Keep it pointed down range." You still have to stay behind where you can grab them or some one else you trust to keep an eye on them.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    Great training and it sounds like the kid has a great dad. Reps to you all, even the kid; he will catch on.

Bounty Hunter

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2010
    There you are.
    :) Great job!!! You may have created a monster, but oh well. More people need to take the time to take more people out and teach them, and help them to learn safe instincts and habits.

Manan

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 28, 2009
    West Central
    Good job.

Next time, for yours and his safety, stand very close and directly behind your trainee. Then your on top of everything he does very quickly and there is no way that he can point anything at you that you don't want pointed at you.

But again, great job on introducing someone to the shooting sports and the world of firearms.

Is he an NRA member yet?

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    +1 for instilling the notion in a young mind.
    +1 for the after-action report.
    -1 for the very, very creepy phraseology of the incident. :):
    = :+1: internets for you! :ingo:

Seriously, congratulations... and thank you.

If more people were just taken to the range and shown that OMG, GUNS DON'T GO OFF ON THEIR OWN and that GUNS CAN BE USED SAFELY, I know that the Brady 'Campaign' wouldn't even be able to keep bailing water out of its tired, ragged canoe.

Ya done good.

It's been a long day. I promise it wasn't supposed to read that way. :D

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    He came over this morning before school and knocked on the door thanking me again for taking him shooting. It appeared he had the night to think about it, and was all pumped up about it this morning.

Splix

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 9, 2010
    Fishers, IN
    Thats cool man, you sound like a great neighbor. Its probably even better to having a neighbor of yours that's open minded about firearms even though he hasn't touched them in decades. Unlike that other story I read about his neighbor asked him to put away his "tools of the devil" so his kids could be outside...lol.
    Good for you for keeping it safe and fun.

LawDog76

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    Brownsburg
    The look on his face when I unloaded the truck was priceless.

disturbedme.jpg

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    There was sticker shock when he started asking prices about guns and ammo. His dad was like, heh...better get a good job. You could just see him chewing it up though. Then his dad said, well...I know where my money is going to go when you leave the house. :):

junglerogue

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 20, 2009
    SAV, ELP, DFW, SBN,
    Good job on the corrective actions, and good job for the dad backing you up! Academy instructors gave one guy going through 40 pushups, then 40 pushups +.5 mile run, then he didn't show up again...

INyooper

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 19, 2009
    North Central IN
    During spring break a few months ago I let a kid at the range (his grandfather was there) shoot a magazine of 7.62 with my AK ....a bit different than his 22. The grin on his face after he was done was worth 30 rounds of ammo.

Kudos for introducing a new shooter to the fun (and safety) of it all! :yesway: I'm sure he had fun telling and retelling the story to all his friends.

groovatron

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 9, 2009
    calumet township
    Sweet....nice work. I have a large group of friends who are relatively unfamiliar with guns. I always tell them, "the first times on me." But it's still hard to get them out. It's strange, but I seem to have an easier time getting there wives/girlfriends out. IDK, maybe I'm just super good looking or something:):

sporter

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    Southern, Indiana
    You really need to rethink your shooting instruction with a new shooter.

You don't allow a new shooter to "turn around" and point an AK your way.
    Stand next to the new shooter and be ready to physically restrict the firearms movement as a shooting instructor would do.

Yelling will not save yours or anothers life but actually being able put your hand on a fore end or handguard will.

Firearms are alien to most these days an even the most simplest of instructions are often not followed with a new shooter as nervousness and excitement set in.

Arm America

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 26, 2009
    West of Greenwood
    Mighty nice jester on your part for including the neighbor and his son.
    You gave a Dad and his Son something to talk about the rest of their lives.

You gave the young man an opportunity that this day and age, not many have.

I'd give you a rep but I'm told I have to spread it around.

IUGradStudent

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 1, 2008
    Bloomington, IN
    Good job. Safety is definitely of highest importance.

One thing that may help for next time (and, heck, you may have done it this time, I just couldn't tell from your writeup) is to show the shooter what to do with the gun when he is done with the magazine/ready for a break/etc. Stand right behind him and show him how to set it down, show him what not to do (i.e. spin around with it and point it all over the place), etc. I have had good success with that. Also, I start new shooters out with only a few rounds in the mag, 1-5 usually.

GhostofWinter

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Lake Station-NW Indiana
    Sweet....nice work. I have a large group of friends who are relatively unfamiliar with guns. I always tell them, "the first times on me." But it's still hard to get them out. It's strange, but I seem to have an easier time getting there wives/girlfriends out. IDK, maybe I'm just super good looking or something:):

You mean they actually TRUST you with their wives/girlfriends?? :laugh:

Greg

Top Bottom