• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Wheezy50

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    Morgan County
    I'm looking for a good butcher shop in the Greenwood area. Any recommendations? I have been going to Value Market in Mooresville for a while, just wanted to expand my selections.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    We tried the one at 135 and Smith Valley; WAY overpriced and some of the most tasteless meat we've ever tried. We even have $20 on credit there and not interested in using it.

Of course this is just my opinion, ymmv.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    We tried the one at 135 and Smith Valley; WAY overpriced and some of the most tasteless meat we've ever tried. We even have $20 on credit there and not interested in using it.

Of course this is just my opinion, ymmv.

Moody's SW of 135 and smith valley is an option, that's all I can say about it

Omalia's always has good meat too

Yup, that's them! We ordered 3 pork butts for the smoker and ended up trimming off $25 of fat. Their response was that we didn't ask to have it pre-trimmed!:n00b:

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    Hamptons is a good one, just seemed a little pricey. We've been getting our pork butts at Sams or Kroger. The Kroger stuff beats pretty much anything we've tried with Sams right up there with them. For a 14 hour smoke we're finding out it isn't how much it cost as much as the fat content and distribution as well as being as fresh as possible. So far the only meat that we could truly tell a difference was the stuff we got from Moodys and it wasn't a good difference. The flavor was definitely off from what we've gotten used to. Of course they claim local and antibiotic free so maybe we've become accustomed to the "extras" of commercially grown meat?

jfed85

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 16, 2008
    Not Greenwood, but really close. We have gotten a lot of stuff from Beech Grove meat market and we have always really enjoyed what we got from there.

SAILORGOLF46

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Feb 14, 2012
    Greenwood
    Hamptons is a true butcher shop. While a little higher priced than the major chain stores some cuts are well worth it. Been in business for 40+ years. They have great ground beef patties pre packaged and frozen all the time, and great in house made fresh Brats.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    Even though Moody is kind of "close" to me and mine (They're a Mont. Co. company and several people I know from home know them as well) - I was NOT impressed with their prices the one time I stopped in to their GW location.

Sticker shock would be a good way to state it. But being where they are, in the retail heart of the Center Grove area, they do just fine because there are loads of people who A)don't care what they spend and B) don't care if what they spend happens to be a bit too high.

I've wanted to try Archer's - just haven't stopped in there yet. It always seems to be an "Oh yeah, I'd like to stop in there" type of situation if we make a trip to the park, library, or Mrs. Curl.

I've heard good things about the Meat Shop in Indy. Near Morris and 465 on the west side. Indianapolis Meat Shop, Butcher, Wholesale Meat

And I've seen decent advertised prices for Hampton's Market but have yet to be able to take advantage of them. I don't know if they cut down from halves or quarters themselves or not.

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    ISIS Burgers - 1lb ground sirloin, 1 lb ground bacon, 1 lb ground lamb.....mix all together, add in Worchestershire sauce, red pepper flakes, finely diced onion, and finely diced fresh jalepeno...make into patties and grill to your liking. Add pepper jack cheese when they are near done, serve on a grilled onion bun with all the trimmings....including extra BACON!! Is there any such thing as EXTRA bacon?

Last edited:
    Top Bottom