• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • newguyjosh

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    I have a mossberg 500 20 guage with the field barrel. I think a shotgun is the best weapon for home defense but its hard manuvering through the house with the long field barrel. Also I'm not sure if the 20 guage is enough weapon. So should I buy a 18.5 inch 20 gauge barrel for my current gun or should I go out and buy a 12 gauge tactical model with 18.5 inch barrel?

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    Get the barrel for around $90 and be money ahead and have basically the same gun.
    Also you have the option of putting the field barrel back on for
    tibbar hunting or clays if you wish.

newguyjosh

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    Get the barrel for around $90 and be money ahead and have basically the same gun.
    Also you have the option of putting the field barrel back on for
    tibbar hunting or clays if you wish.

Any sites on where to buy? I keep coming across 12 gauge barrels but no 20s.

clfergus

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    Southeast Indy
    I have had multiple gun shop clerks tell me that a hot Turkey Load is a good home defense round. I use to load buckshot but after having children i now do a 18.5 inch barrel and turkey load.

I'd be interested in hearing thoughts on the load. If you can find the barrel I say go that route.

Last edited:

AZ Hunter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 20, 2010
    Tucson, AZ
    Well I know out here in AZ for the 12 gauge, a 2 3/4" and 3" #4 Buckshot is a popular predator and HD ammo. I just received my Cabela's shooting catalog and man oh man do they have a lot of shotgun HD ammo for 12 and 20 gauge. The choices seem endless.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    Check out Cabellas. I bought a factory Mossberg 18.5" barrel for my 12 gage for $79.99. As for what load for SD, I have always stuck with 00 buck shot. I do have some slugs, just in case I need a little extra punch.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    Mossberg does make one: 20 gauge, 18.5", cylinder bore, bead. You can order by calling their customer service #, 1-800-363-3555.

http://www.mossberg.com/images/Mossberg ... /50452.jpg

SKU #90035. Classified as "M500C BBL 20GA 18B BLUE"

Yup, this is the barrel you're looking for. Should be about $72.00 + $8.95 s&h. It can be ordered through Mossberg over the phone. I've also heard there's also a #10031 that's the same barrel (unless it's a Maverick barrel or something), but packaged differently and $6 or so cheaper. You could ask them about that.

You could also buy an older used barrel, fairly inexpensively, and cut it down yourself if you want. It's not difficult. Just stay over legal length!

With respect to loading. Stay away from bird shot. It is, as the name implies, for the birds. Buck shot is needed (#3 or larger in 20 ga) to penetrate adequately. Here's an article:

Shotgun Home Defense Ammunition, .357 SIG -- A Solution in Search of a Problem?

Slow Hand

Master
    Rating - 99.3%
    146   1   0
    Aug 27, 2008
    West Side
    It's pretty easy to cut a shotgun barrel down, as well. If you find a deal on a used longer tube, you can literally cut it with a pipe cutter. They make clamp or glue on front sights with fiber optic inserts as well. Or, someone can drill and tap and put a new bead on pretty cheap.

Doug K

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2008
    I went through the same thing. I first bought a 18.5 inch for my 500A and used it for a while. Later on I found a 500A at Walmart with just a slug barrel that became my house gun. I can use the slug barrel for deer on either gun.

rugernut65

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 27, 2010
    Vermillion county
    at least we all agree buy the barrel ,go to the 1500 the end of next month and you probably find one for $50-$60 and you cant beat #4 or #2 if you can find any personally i keep my 12s and 20s loaded in the tubes with #4s

451_Detonics

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    North Central Indiana
    but its hard manuvering through the house with the long field barrel.

The shotgun is the worse possible choice* for clearing a house, but it is the best choice for defending a set position. When defending a set position barrel length really doesn't matter. My bedroom shotgun has a 26 inch barrel allowing me to load 10+1 in it with the longer extension. I would rather have the extra rounds. There is no way to go though a doorway or around a tight corner without be vulnerable with a long gun. You are far better off with a handgun if you feel the need to clear the house yourself instead of calling the PD.

With a shotgun you have to...

Lead with the barrel...very vulnerable to getting grabbed.
    Use a high ready...easy to pin the gun between attacker and defender with barrel pointed towards both heads.
    Low ready...same thing but now it is pointed at everyone's feet.

Yes, LEO's use shotguns for entry but they seldom do so alone, right behind the shotgunner is someone else with a handgun.

*this is assuming you don't own a 11-14 inch entry version and even then it is a fairly long firearm.

Number 4 buck would be my preference for the 20ga.

Top Bottom