• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • eachitandi

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2014
    Plymouth
    Late February of this year i bought a M&P Shield 40 from a dealer at the Shipshewana gun show. I've spent about 500 rounds since then trying to figure out why i can't stay on target from about 20-25 feet.
    Finally figured out today that the trigger pulls at 11.35lbs (Massachusetts compliant). I called Smith & Wesson today and after spending 58 minutes on hold waiting to speak with someone to find out what i can do to get a "standard" trigger in this thing, i was told that the entire trigger assembly is different than the standard Shield and that it all has to be replaced...which of course they can't do legally....and i can't order the parts. He started to tell me who i had to find to order the parts and do the job when my call dropped....

I dug out my receipt and called the dealer to see what they have to say, but can't seem to get a live person on the line. After my third attempt i finally just left a message on the voice mail to please return my call... no response.

Needless to say, i'm not a happy camper, but do i just let it go or try to get some sort of resolution.

( If your thought is "just get an Apex trigger kit for it", it can't be done according to the Smith & Wesson rep i spoke to... )

Mr. Neal

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 7, 2011
    Northern Indiana
    I bet you can replace it with an apex kit. Smith's reps aren't allowed to suggest something that would void your warranty. I wouldn't take my word on this but i've owned an M&P40 and I put an apex in it.

maverick18

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    Clinton County
    Same thing happened to my brother. We didnt realize until we already broke it in. No wonder no one else in Lafayette had a shield 9 in stock and this particular place had a dozen.......

MY Shield 9 on the other hand shoots beautifully:rockwoot:

HeadlessRoland

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 8, 2011
    In the dark
    Tried talking to the dealer to explain that him not telling you about the fact that it's a completely different model is a very :shady: and perhaps even illegal business practice?

Bradsknives

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Greenfield, IN.
    Is it possible that dealer didn't know it was a Massachusetts compliant firearm? Is the box/case that gun comes in marked in someway that would allow you or the dealer to know that it is a Massachusetts compliant gun?.......... I'm curious. :dunno:

eachitandi

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2014
    Plymouth
    Is it possible that dealer didn't know it was a Massachusetts compliant firearm? Is the box/case that gun comes in marked in someway that would allow you or the dealer to know that it is a Massachusetts compliant gun?.......... I'm curious. :dunno:

It's identified by the sku number on the box. I confirmed this with the rep I talked to. He told me they wouldn't ship it to a non Massachusetts dealer unless specifically requested.
    What i found and read on the net is that when they don't sell in Massachusetts, they sell them to dealers in other states for cheap to get rid of them, who in return sell them to unsuspecting customers...

WatermAlan

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 30, 2014
    Carmel
    Is the box/case that gun comes in marked in someway that would allow you or the dealer to know that it is a Massachusetts compliant gun?.......... I'm curious. :dunno:

The box will have a different SKU for the different variants:

40 S&W "regular" - SKU 180020
    40 S&W "CA" Compliant - SKU 187020
    40 S&W "MA" Compliant - SKU 180050

9mm "regular" - SKU 180021
    9mm "CA" Compliant - SKU 187021
    9mm "MA" Compliant - SKU 180051

I didn't even think about this when I bought mine. Luckily, mine is the regular version. phew! :rockwoot:

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    It happens, I got an FN FNS at one of the 1500's awhile back that turned out to be a 10rd gun. I didn't even notice it when I bought it and they sure didn't volunteer the information, nothing about it on the tag.

Onionsanddragons

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 13, 2014
    Terre Haute
    Sounds a bit shady to me.

I agree that you should give Apex a call and hear the word from them on if the trigger kit is an option. It's worth it if it is.

The whole thing really sucks, though. Thanks for putting it out here. Now I know about one more thing to look for when buying. I usually insist on dry firing to try the trigger if I'm serious about buying, but I also know some dealers get real persnickety about that. I just don't ever give them my money, because I know they are the ones likely to shoo me away if I try it out in the car and immediately come back in because it is awful.

rgrimm01

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    Sullivan County, IN
    The box will have a different SKU for the different variants:

9mm "regular" - SKU 180021

I didn't even think about this when I bought mine. Luckily, mine is the regular version. phew!

Same here. I would not even have thought to consider changes to the firearm that would irreversibly hamper the trigger function. I thought most firearms that were "compliant" must have a Hiliary hole or ten round magazine (not for a Shield).

Thanks for sharing.

Top Bottom