• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IndyGuy17

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 12, 2016
    Indianapolis
    Hey everyone!! I am 18 years old and JUST got my LTCH in the mail a couple months ago. I am looking to buy a glock of some sorts... Am I allowed to by a pistol at this event since i'm 18?? I read you can but want to double check! Thanks!! :ingo:

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    Sure. Just ask for the "Gun Show loophole" discount. :)

Actually, you will not be able to buy from any of the dealers as they need to follow federal law (21+). You can buy from a private seller. Be prepared to show evidence of your age and that you live in Indiana (usually a drivers license) as those are part of the law even for private sales. If the seller gives any hint that they are from out of state, DO NOT BUY!

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    Just a joke. Supposedly, gun shows are exceptions to the normal FFL (licensed gun seller) background checks. In fact, they need to run the same background checks at gun shows as they do at their gun shops or anywhere else. All of the laws for gun sales are the same as outside the gun show, both for FFLs and private sellers.

IndyGuy17

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 12, 2016
    Indianapolis
    Just a joke. Supposedly, gun shows are exceptions to the normal FFL (licensed gun seller) background checks. In fact, they need to run the same background checks at gun shows as they do at their gun shops or anywhere else.
    Ah I see thanks!!

Actually, you will not be able to buy from any of the dealers as they need to follow federal law (21+). You can buy from a private seller. Be prepared to show evidence of your age and that you live in Indiana (usually a drivers license) as those are part of the law even for private sales. If the seller gives any hint that they are from out of state, DO NOT BUY!
    I got the evidence!! and Okay thank you!!

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles

AND, watch out for the ATF !!!!! "They" have been known to follow you around, wait till you buy a gun, and then make an offer .....

If this happens, turn them down flat !!!!!

Offer your phone number, and tell them to call you 24 hours later .....

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    Another suggestion- educate yourself some on the different Glock models and the different generations (1-4). Then you can find out what are fair used prices by looking at the INGO classifieds or going to ArmsList.com and looking for the prices on auctions with successful sales. Being a newbie doesn't mean you need to stand for a rip-off.

If you can't find a deal that fits your parameters at the 1500, don't sweat it too much. Participate more on INGO. When you get to 50 posts, you will be able to participate in our classifieds. Glocks are regulars there.

EyeCarry

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 10, 2014
    Bloomington
    AND, watch out for the ATF !!!!! "They" have been known to follow you around, wait till you buy a gun, and then make an offer .....

If this happens, turn them down flat !!!!!

Offer your phone number, and tell them to call you 24 hours later .....

Seriously??? and if so, what is with the 24 hours?

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    Strictly hear-say on my part, but the ATF does show up and tries to entrap people with illegal sales. That is why I warned to only buy from in-state sellers. If someone says they are doing something illegal and you buy/sell anyway, it is possible it is the ATF on the other side of the transaction.

Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Porter county
    I would advise you not to try buying a pistol at the show. I tried buying a Makarov when I was 20 years old at the 1500 four years ago. I found one a private seller had for sale. I had a copy of the state law regarding the private sale of handguns. The dealer scoffed at me, grabbed the pistol from my hand, and told me you need to be 21. Beware, you may encounter the same problems I did. I recommending your dad who can legally gift one to you. And I also recommend a Glock 19.

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    Sorry murphy. You had the law on your side, but the seller didn't understand and/or didn't care. There are three requirements for a legal private sale in Indiana:

1- Must be 18+.
    2- Must be an Indiana resident.
    3- Seller must have no reason to believe you are a criminal (aka proper person).

You can buy/sell guns at the show *exactly* the same as you can outside. The laws don't change. That said, a seller can decline a deal for any reason at all.

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    I think Murphy knows that. I think his point is a lot of others don't know the difference or have a personal problem with selling to a youngster.

GunSlinger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 20, 2011
    Right here.
    Be prepared to show not only your proof of Indiana residency but proof of age, and maybe even your LTCH (License To Carry Handgun). As an example if you wanted to buy a Glock from me I'd require that you produce all three and I'd look them over carefully before selling you a handgun. Besides, I'd never own a Glock of any type. <--- Notice I typed that in purple. It indicates sarcasm. There's always a discussion on INGO about plastic vs. steel. Buy a real gun. Something like a model 1911A1 in .45 ACP with real checkered wooden grips :rockwoot: <---should that have been in purple?

And welcome to :ingo: Stick around, read and learn from the members here. There's a huge amount of knowledge (and some :bs:as well) among the members. Don't be afraid to ask questions just like you did above. You'll probably get an answer from every aspect possible.

Don't try to make a run to a fast 50 posts to get to the classifieds. Doing so will likely evoke the wrath of the Mods and you'll find yourself back to your first post. There are a few (actually several) that make sport of whacking the 'runners'. There's even a thread in the Break Room just for that.

I'd also highly recommend taking the NRA Basic Pistol Course (if you haven't already) even before you strap on the ability to kill someone or punch holes in something that wasn't meant to have holes in it (like yourself). It's money very well spent. There's a lot of places around Indy that offer these classes by certified NRA instructors.

I know the reasons why I choose to carry a side arm. There are several, but if you don't mind me asking IndyGuy17 what are your reasons, and are you comfortable with the possibility of taking someone's life? I would never want to have to use mine, but I'm comfortable with the thought of having to.

Hope you spent the extra bucks to buy the lifetime LTCH. For you at 18 it's one heck of a bargain...besides I heard at a LGS (local gun shop) that the lifetime LTCH is going away soon :n00b: so it must be true. I'd say PM me with any questions, but you can't yet :): Just kidding, you can always send me an email until you've hit the magic number.

Again, Welcome to INGO IndyGuy17. Enjoy the forum!

307SD

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2016
    Down by the river.
    ......... Don't try to make a run to a fast 50 posts to get to the classifieds. Doing so will likely evoke the wrath of the Mods and you'll find yourself back to your first post. There are a few (actually several) that make sport of whacking the 'runners'. There's even a thread in the Break Room just for that.

Everything GunSlinger said is right on. I quoted the most important part. There are some real sicko's just waiting for you to head to the classies so they can chub up and report you to a mod. I actually ignore the classies all together even though it was how I found the site in my beginning here. Pudly also has some very good cranial excretion as well, and a balanced personality to go with it.

Just my $0.02. But I could be wrong.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Everything GunSlinger said is right on. I quoted the most important part. There are some real sicko's just waiting for you to head to the classies so they can chub up and report you to a mod. I actually ignore the classies all together even though it was how I found the site in my beginning here. Pudly also has some very good cranial excretion as well, and a balanced personality to go with it.

Just my $0.02. But I could be wrong.

Chub up............:):

The rules is the rules amigo. Nothing more and nothing less.
    The old guard (and myself) are very protective of this little piece of heaven.

No knock on your post I just saw the chub up and could not resist.....

307SD

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2016
    Down by the river.
    Not trying to contest the statutes of the house there gringo sanctuary vermin. I have lurked the aforementioned thread, where I have seen your honorable interactions. However you must admit that some of the participants that post there reek of pre-ejaculation wheezing. Thus my only intent was to steer the young man away from becoming the next iron. His question was valid, as was Gunslinger’s response.

Let us not hijack the thread. The current 1500 show is over. Maybe the op can give us an update on his weekend, and get the thread back on track.

Also gringo sanctuary vermin, I like cheeseburgers also. I have a new location now, so if you get down I 74 to the West Harrison area, it can be your treat. Pm me if it’s in your future and I will give you a contact number.

No knock taken. But I could be wrong.

Top Bottom