Buying a gun at Knob Creek ( Out of state )

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ruiner

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 27, 2008
    West Lafayette, IN
    Hey guys. I'm going to Knob creek this weekend, and was wondering if I needed to do anything with a private sale on a weapon. ( pistol or rifle )

Thanks guys!

NateIU10

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2008
    Maryland
    Private sales are a no-no for residents of two separate states. You'll have to have it sent to an FFL in Indiana if purchasing from an non-resident.

chipdog4

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Doesn't have to be shipped if you can locate an Indiana FFL holder on site to transfer it to you. (I'm sure there will be) Then it's normal paperwork.
    Did that at Louisville gun show, couple changes of hands and brought it home.
    There is also a FFL holder in Evansville who drives to a Kentucky gun store every Sunday and brings Indiana resident bought handguns back.
    Saves the high shipping price just to get it sent across the river and he charges a very reasonable transfer fee.

I hate dealing with this stupid state line crap.:noway:
    They need to do away with it. Doesn't serve any purpose.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    What if you're both Indiana residents but the transaction is taking place in Kentucky (or any other state for that matter)?

mrw

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 5, 2008
    I thought you could buy long guns in states surrounding yours. I've seen a sign to that affect in several Walmarts in the past.

NEWMAN

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2008
    I'll throw you a loop my company buys it. We have two physical locations indy/lou pay 99999% more taxs then most here."so we own land and buildings in each state" is it legal to buy and bring up here.lol

NateIU10

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2008
    Maryland
    I thought you could buy long guns in states surrounding yours. I've seen a sign to that affect in several Walmarts in the past.

Yes, state law allows you to purchase long guns in some surrounding states from an FFL dealer in that state.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Bloomington
    I am not advocating unlawful behavior, but it seems to me that if its a FTF, how the heck would anyone even know that you've committed a crime? If I buy an 870 from Joe Shmo in Indy, I receive exactly the same amount of paperwork that I would if I bought it from Dave Shmo in Grand Rapids. Private sales are, well, private.

I am not saying that I advocate this, or that I would do this myself. I just don't understand the OP's concern. If there is no paper trail leading to him, why does it even matter? I am looking forward to peoples' discussion on this. I know that lots of people follow the law for the sake of the law, but from a practical point of view, why (in this example) is it necessary?

NateIU10

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2008
    Maryland
    I am not advocating unlawful behavior, but it seems to me that if its a FTF, how the heck would anyone even know that you've committed a crime? If I buy an 870 from Joe Shmo in Indy, I receive exactly the same amount of paperwork that I would if I bought it from Dave Shmo in Grand Rapids. Private sales are, well, private.

I am not saying that I advocate this, or that I would do this myself. I just don't understand the OP's concern. If there is no paper trail leading to him, why does it even matter? I am looking forward to peoples' discussion on this. I know that lots of people follow the law for the sake of the law, but from a practical point of view, why (in this example) is it necessary?

I always thought about it like this. If you do purchase FTF out of state, and end up using that firearm in self-defense, could it come back that you bought it out of state? Good lawyer looking into it, finds out which distributor sold it to what FFL, and what person bought that firearm. The gov/lawyers put the squeeze on that person and they tell them you made an illegal purchase.

IDK how likely you are to get caught, but I like to play all felony related causes far on this side of the fence.

:twocents:

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Bloomington
    Hey, I am with you. I am not interested in any felonies. Thats why I sadly must comply with so many things that are BS. I just like to look at the practical side of an issue also. I do respect your discussion above, but it seems like a bit of a Rube Goldberg.

NateIU10

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2008
    Maryland
    Hey, I am with you. I am not interested in any felonies. Thats why I sadly must comply with so many things that are BS. I just like to look at the practical side of an issue also. I do respect your discussion above, but it seems like a bit of a Rube Goldberg.

Also, not to mention that the person you buy from may be an agent of some government agency...IDK, but there's plenty of guns in Indiana that look good to me :rockwoot: lol

NateIU10

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2008
    Maryland
    That sounds a bit like tinfoil crinkling.

:):

Sorry, can't hear much through my armadillo helmet :laugh:

But really, ATF sends agents into set up deals for illegal weapons, set up people at gun shows, set up people not even breaking the law sometimes...so I wouldn't put anything past them.

rkba_net

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 26, 2008
    Yes, state law allows you to purchase long guns in some surrounding states from an FFL dealer in that state.

Incorrect... the "Contigious state" language was deleted from Federal Law in 1986... with the passing of the Gun Owners Protection Act (some states stiil have an enabling law that was required as part of the Federal Law, it is now obsolete). It is legal under Federal law to buy a LONG-GUN ONLY from an out of state FFL if BOTH states laws are obeyed.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    rkba_net,

That is a pretty bold statement. Can you give a reference to back up that statement? I wouldn't want anyone to get into trouble, because he was armed with inaccurate information.

I would assume that there would be an ATF agent or two floating around at Knob Creek this weekend, and no I don't have a tin foil hat. It would just seem logical.

This is a quote from the FAQ section of the ATF website, which seems to say that the out-of-state purchase of firearms including long guns from private individuals without going through an FFL dealer is in violation of federal law.

(B2) From whom may an unlicensed person acquire a firearm under the GCA? [Back]
    A person may only acquire a firearm within the person’s own State, except that he or she may purchase or otherwise acquire a rifle or shotgun, in person, at a licensee's premises in any State, provided the sale complies with State laws applicable in the State of sale and the State where the purchaser resides. A person may borrow or rent a firearm in any State for temporary use for lawful sporting purposes.

Last edited:

chipdog4

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    (B2) From whom may an unlicensed person acquire a firearm under the GCA? [Back]
    A person may only acquire a firearm within the person’s own State, except that he or she may purchase or otherwise acquire a rifle or shotgun, provided the sale complies with State laws applicable in the State of sale and the State where the purchaser resides.

You have it right there. If the dealer isn't familiar with your state laws, he may refuse the sale.
    You see all kinds of interesting sales at Whittaker's.

The surrounding state thing is only Wal-Mart's policy.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    chipdog4,

During an out-of-state, not only does the FFL have to make sure that the state the customer lives in makes it legal to own the long gun the customer is purchasing, but if the city or county he or she lives in has an "assault weapons" ban, for instance, the FFL would not be able to lawfully make the sale. There are a few places, which come to mind, like Cook County, IL and Columbus, OH where this would apply.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Kostas25
    Top Bottom