• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • corngrower

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 26, 2012
    I am looking for advice on what would be a good choice for my first rifle to reload for. I have been loading for pistols and would like to start rifle load development.. I don't hunt but enjoy shooting for a hobby and reloading to pass time when I can't be shooting.
    I am thinking either a bolt action. .223 or a 22.250. I have shot both and several others when shooting with friends. I don't think I need a large caliber just to kill paper starting out.

All advice welcome

Hosted

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 26, 2011
    Albion
    I'd recommend a bolt action 223 also. That's what I reload and I like that components will hopefully one day be easy to get again and there is a TON of reloading info out there for it.

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    If your goal is just practicing load development I don't really see how it matters which cartridge you choose. Most bottle-necked cases reload about the same, so far as technique. Folks usually pick a cartridge that fills a particular shooting need, like varmint hunting, deer hunting or target shooting. If you're going to have just a single center-fire rifle, get one chambered in 308 Winchester. It can loaded mild to wild, presenting you with many reloading challenges, while being a lot more versatile than a 223. :twocents:

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    It seems to me you are going at this backwards. How can you develop loads if you have not learned how to shoot a rifle accurately?

I suggest a 22LR and an Appleseed to learn basic rilfe skills, such as NPOA, calling the shot, and positions.

Top Bottom