• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 45calibre

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 28, 2008
    NWI
    is it cheaper to buy powder and primers in store or online. i know there is a hazmat shipping fee but is it still cheaper like a lot of things online are?

im close to cabelas so i was thinking of going there. i checked their website and found some powder but i coulndt find the in store pick up option which is usually free shipping. do you think they'll still charge the haz mat fee?

msd

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    Princeton
    Depends on the store I think, if someplace like a small gunshop only orders a few things, they pass the hazmat & shipping fees along, but it's dispersed amongst all they ordered, unless they order enough their haz mat fee is waived.

Ordering online can be cheaper if you catch the sales and order large amounts. Order large amounts and places like grafs will waive the hazmat fee.

Pretty much, Cabelas is the same price as what you'd buy from online usually.
    Gander Mtn.....they're really proud of their prices, on everything.

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 26, 2010
    Buy from our resident Aszerigan (Profire Supply). I can say that without a doubt his customer service (read patience with an indecisive newby to reloading) is par excellence.

45calibre

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 28, 2008
    NWI
    Buy from our resident Aszerigan (Profire Supply). I can say that without a doubt his customer service (read patience with an indecisive newby to reloading) is par excellence.

im not near indy so i cant pick it up, i read one of his post regarding the hazmat group buy and he said you gotta pick it up.

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    Buying primers

I bought primers online back during "the great primer drought" because I couldn't find them anywhere else. Hazmat fees drove the price up even though I bought a bunch but I was nearly out and had a lot of reloading to do. Supply and demand got me. Getting in on a group buy to spread the hazmat fee sounds like a good idea if you need to.

Otherwise, I have bought primers when I found myself near a Bass Pro or Cabelas or even Gander Mtn. Due to this practice and the above mentioned online purchase, I won't be needing any for a couple of years. Yes, you may call me a hoarder. :)

parson

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 1, 2008
    New Castle
    I recently purchased about $200 worth of powder & primers from Grafs. Even with hazmat fee it saved me money. It doesn't take much driving to eat up $10 - $20 in gas.

45calibre

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 28, 2008
    NWI
    I recently purchased about $200 worth of powder & primers from Grafs. Even with hazmat fee it saved me money. It doesn't take much driving to eat up $10 - $20 in gas.

thats the thing though cabelas is 5 minutes away so i didnt know if it was much more cheaper online.

Claddagh

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 21, 2008
    IMO, if they had to get there via common carrier, no matter where you buy them somebody had to have paid the hazmat fee along the way. If some wholesalers and jobbers may forego (waive) passing along the fee if a customer places a large enough order, it simply means that they're making enough profit on a sale of that size to make it worth their while to absorb the cost themselves in hopes of producing another regular, high-volume customer.

As a practical matter, I don't think that many of us here have the resources to afford to order in that kind of volume individually. I know I sure as H**l can't. The best I can do is either participate in a group buy or wait until I see a deal where the price for, say, an 4-8 lb. container of one of my most-used powders or 10K lot of primers will allow me to break-even or save a bit compared to what I'd have to pay at a retail outlet for the same quantities of 1 lb. cans or 1K boxes of the same items locally.

Sometimes it ain't possible, sometimes it is. These days I have to figure what it'd cost me in gasoline and time into the equation, too.

ckcollins2003

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 29, 2011
    Muncie
    I've found Cabela's prices to be the same if not less than Midway's prices. I actually bought my first couple pounds of powder and bullets from them when I went with my cousin to a gun show in Crown Point.

Since you are so close you should really look at their prices. 1 pound of H4895 was $22.99 at the store. As it turns out it's still $22.99 and this would save you the $25.00 hazmat fee and the 2 weeks wait for shipping.

Cabela's: Reloading

1911Shooter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2011
    Pendleton, IN
    I have looked into this quite a bit and have been luck to have friends that reload enough that if we get together and buy in large amounts we can often save some money. The last order we placed ended up coming in 4 boxes. With the four boxes we had to also pay 4 hazmat fees which didnt help the savings any. I think we all ended up saving about 15 to 20 bucks each. If I didnt have them ordering with me it would have cost more to buy online than it would have at a resonably priced retailer. The only place I have found to be horrible on prices is Gander. 30 bucks give or take for a pound of powder is almost enough to make it not even worth reloading.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    I actualy get my primers and powder for cheaper localy plus no hazmat fee. I do not buy enough at one time to negate the hazmat fee cost.

CampingJosh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 16, 2010
    I'm still buying small amounts in stores because I haven't yet settled on any "favorites." So I'm buying some Winchester primers, some CCI, several 1 lb. containers of powder, etc.

When I decide on what I will use in bulk, then I'll place a large order or two. Five thousand or more of each of the type of primer I prefer, plus large amounts of all the powders I settle on. At that point, I'll save money, and I'll get myself set up for several years.

And then I'll do my best to burn through "several years" worth as quickly as I can. :D

While you're still new to reloading, you're better off buying smaller amounts from local suppliers. You don't want to end up with 15 thousand primers that are too hard for your favorite gun or something similar.

msd

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    Princeton
    Another way to go, is if you have a few friends who reload, go in together on a group buy.
    Check out Wideners, Grafs, and Powder Valley for specials they have.
    Group of you go together, you can get the hazmat fee and like grafs free shipping.

If you're loading milsurp powders, try gi brass, pats reloading or hi-tech ammo.
    they'll work with you on hazmat fees waived if you buy so much at one time.

XtremeVel

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    If you are new to reloading, buy from the shelf at a shop near you...

Once you find what you like, then you can order online in larger amounts and save.

NinnJinn

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 10, 2011
    Loogootee (Lo Go Tee
    based on what I have researched...

Powder I use from Midway is $18 for 1 pound. After shipping and hazmat and some stupid drop ship charge I am looking at almost $40 for 1 pound. If I buy primers also, there is another $25 hazmat fee.

So I Drive 10 miles to my nearest gun shop and buy the same powder, $22.95 + 7% sales tax, plus fuel for 20mpg @ $3.49/gal I pay $28.05 total for 1lb of powder. Plus when I am there, I am usually buying other things also, and shooting the bull with the old timers... (no offense if you are over 70)

So I say, go to local gun shop!!!

Slapstick

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2010
    If you are new to reloading, buy from the shelf at a shop near you...

Once you find what you like, then you can order online in larger amounts and save.

Good advice. I tried several powder, primer combos before finding one that my guns like, after that I order on line.

To give an example I Just placed an order with Grafts & Sons. I saved about $170 over what I could get the same amounts locally. Small amounts buy local, large amounts buy on line unless your local dealer is close in price, (which unfortunately isn't the case where I'm at nor do they carry a large selection so online it is).

Top Bottom