• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • meyer4589

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Feb 25, 2011
    Highland, IN
    So I've been kicking around the idea of getting my C&R. I have all of my papers filled out ready to go, but I have a few questions about the LEO part. I live in Lake County and I have no reason to believe my town sheriff wont sign off on my form, but would it be easier/more convenient to got straight to the county sheriff for him to sign off? Also would you recommend taking the form to the station in person or send it in the mail?

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    When I applied for mine back in 2000 I did not need a LEO sign-off. All that was needed was to drop off a copy to the local LEO. I never bothered to do that when I renewed my C&R.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Town Sheriff? What is that?

You guys have town sheriffs or did you mean Chief of Police?

I dropped my application off. My Chief of Police called me and wanted to know what it was. I explained C&R to him. He said "Oh, really, cool."

I got the license and was on my way to ordering stuff through the mail (mostly CKCs and Swiss K31s).

stesco

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2013
    Greensburg
    I filled mine out tonight. From the way I read it, you drop the copy to the local law enforcement for informational purposes only. They are not required to do anything.

mac45

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2008
    I filled mine out tonight. From the way I read it, you drop the copy to the local law enforcement for informational purposes only. They are not required to do anything.

I just mailed a copy to my local chief when I sent off the application to the ATF. Added a cover letter saying for your information, and no action is required on your part.
    Last renewal took around 6 weeks if I remember right.

04FXSTS

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 31, 2010
    Eugene
    All you need to do is send a copy to the appropriate LEO agency, I put mine in an envelope and mailed it. To determine what agency, who would show up at your door if you called 911? As stated above there is no "LEO signoff" it is for information only. If they would have a problem; it is their responsibility to contact the BATF. Jim.

remauto1187

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 25, 2012
    Stepping Stone
    +1 The application says to notify the CLEO (Chief Law enforcement officer) which is typically the sheriff of the county that applicant lives in. Send a copy to the CLEO and that part of the application is satisfied.
    $30 for 3 years....you cant beat it if you are in the market for C&R guns. Mine has paid for itself by me being able to bypass FFL transfer charges. Usually 1 rifle on the C&R will pay the $30 or close to it by you not having to pay FFL transfer fees. Its easy to get and easy to use. Ive bought SKS's and Mosins with mine.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Mailed in my renewal form plus a copy to the chief of IMPD today. As others have said, if you're into old guns, the C&R license can save a lot of money. You can even use it at brick and mortar shops and gun shows as well. No call to NICS is necessary (for C&R qualified firearms) - just give them a signed copy of your license and out the door you go. BTW, when your license arrives, make a bunch of copies before signing the original. Some places want a "wet ink" copy as opposed to a copy of a signed original license. I do keep a scanned copy of the signed original on my computer in case I need to email a copy to someone when buying a gun online.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    +1 The application says to notify the CLEO (Chief Law enforcement officer) which is typically the sheriff of the county that applicant lives in. Send a copy to the CLEO and that part of the application is satisfied.
    $30 for 3 years....you cant beat it if you are in the market for C&R guns. Mine has paid for itself by me being able to bypass FFL transfer charges. Usually 1 rifle on the C&R will pay the $30 or close to it by you not having to pay FFL transfer fees. Its easy to get and easy to use. Ive bought SKS's and Mosins with mine.
    Can you accept ar lowers (transfer) with a c&r license?
    ive honestly been seriously considering getting my ffl so I can go class 3. I just would sell the bare minimum if there is even any requirement. I just want the ability to own the class 3 stuff and do my own transfers.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    ive honestly been seriously considering getting my ffl so I can go class 3. I just would sell the bare minimum if there is even any requirement. I just want the ability to own the class 3 stuff and do my own transfers.

NO.

AR's do not have a status of being a curio and/or relic firearm (at least 50 years old, unless specifically called out as C&R like the CZ-82). Plus, in order to qualify, it must be a complete firearm and in semi-original condition. Therefore, an common AK can never qualify as these have parts replace to make them 922r compliant and semi-auto only.

Having a C&R license does have it's caveats. Namely you open yourself up to firearm registration. No more can you do a handshake only deal on any C&R firearms. You must log it, you get and give information (Name, address, DOB). There's no way around it. When the BATFE comes a knockin' you must show your log book and potentially your collection.

EDIT: I also see you mention selling. Selling for any other reason than improving your own collection is a big no-no with an FFL03.

Last edited:

tatic05

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 3, 2011
    Ft. Wayne

Its for classic and reilcs.

Copy and pasted from atf.gov

"Firearm curios or relics include firearms which have special value to collectors because they possess some qualities not ordinarily associated with firearms intended for sporting use or as offensive or defensive weapons. To be recognized as curios or relics, firearms must fall within one of the following categories:
    1. Have been manufactured at least 50 years prior to the current date, but not including replicas thereof; or
    2. Be certified by the curator of a municipal, State, or Federal museum which exhibits firearms to be curios or relics of museum interest; or
    3. Derive a substantial part of their monetary value from the fact that they are novel, rare, bizarre, or from the fact of their association with some historical figure, period, or event.
    [18 U.S.C 27 CFR 478.11]:"

04FXSTS

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 31, 2010
    Eugene
    NO.

Having a C&R license does have it's caveats. Namely you open yourself up to firearm registration. No more can you do a handshake only deal on any C&R firearms. You must log it, you get and give information (Name, address, DOB). There's no way around it. When the BATFE comes a knockin' you must show your log book and potentially your collection.

EDIT: I also see you mention selling. Selling for any other reason than improving your own collection is a big no-no with an FFL03.

Yes, you must log in any C&R forearms you obtain while you have your license. It is very rare for the ATF to want to inspect your records. Selling a large number of them from what I hear is the trigger point. How many you have bought/sold is one of the questions on the renewal form. An FFL03 that does not renew does not have to send their records to the ATF like a FFL01 that goes out of business. Jim.

Top Bottom