• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Indynic

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 30, 2013
    Parts Unknown
    Hanging around here the past few months, I have seen the use of the phrase "9mm kills the body, but .45 kills the soul" quite a few times.

If this is the case...where does .40S&W fit in?

What about .44 Magnum? Or .50AE?

Or the big guy .500S&W?

:popcorn:

Whip_McCord

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    NWI
    44mag and above kill the bank account.

While that may be true if you don't reload, reloading will bring out the best in the 44 mag at a low cost. I have always thought the 44 mag was the most versatile handgun cartridge. I load ammo ranging from 165 grain lead plinking loads to 300 grain hard hitting magnum loads that would take any North American game. There is a wide range of bullet weights available and you can load it as hot or mild as your needs dictate. As far as the 40S&W, it isn't even on my radar and certainly is no match for the versatility of the 44 mag.

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    Hanging around here the past few months, I have seen the use of the phrase "9mm kills the body, but .45 kills the soul" quite a few times.

If this is the case...where does .40S&W fit in?

What about .44 Magnum? Or .50AE?

Or the big guy .500S&W?

:popcorn:

I think that's from a parody video from Colion Noir. In the video, he's just mocking the caliber debates in general. At the end of the day, any 9mm, .357/.38, .40, .45, (and beyond) with a modern SD load should be sufficient for 2-legged predators.
    Everyone has their favorites, but it's hard to convince someone who's well-entrenched in their favorite caliber to see the merits of another caliber.

or.... a more direct answer to the OP -- the .40 kills the body and leaves the soul in limbo :)

Jeremy1066

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 25, 2011
    Ft. Wayne
    I think that's from a parody video from Colion Noir. In the video, he's just mocking the caliber debates in general. At the end of the day, any 9mm, .357/.38, .40, .45, (and beyond) with a modern SD load should be sufficient for 2-legged predators.
    Everyone has their favorites, but it's hard to convince someone who's well-entrenched in their favorite caliber to see the merits of another caliber.

or.... a more direct answer to the OP -- the .40 kills the body and leaves the soul in limbo :)
    And the .40 Magnum beats them all :p

Bottlefed

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Hamilton county
    To each there own but when there my life's in the line the function of the gun is the most important. You can have any caliber you want but if your gun doesn't work it does you no good.

Sonney

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 24, 2012
    If I shoot all I want to do is kill the body I will let God worry about the soul. Just saying

Sonney

openwell

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 31, 2014
    Carmel
    While that may be true if you don't reload, reloading will bring out the best in the 44 mag at a low cost. I have always thought the 44 mag was the most versatile handgun cartridge. I load ammo ranging from 165 grain lead plinking loads to 300 grain hard hitting magnum loads that would take any North American game. There is a wide range of bullet weights available and you can load it as hot or mild as your needs dictate. As far as the 40S&W, it isn't even on my radar and certainly is no match for the versatility of the 44 mag.

You should try shooting a Ruger SR40. I always thought those 40 s&w "plastic frame" autos where useless. I have always used SA/DA revolvers in 38 spl, 41 & 44 mag. In Jan. I got a Ruger SR22 in 22lr and had a blast shooting paper. It even has something called a crimson trace laser I don't even use. A few weeks later got a SR40 and I have never had so much fun at the range. Reloading required a new set of dies, but who doesn't love new dies! Buy one of those Butler Creek uplula loaders. Try it for some great shooting at the range. I have come around to these new fun guns! Good Shooting!

Jharbeson

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2014
    Pekin
    I've had a Smith and Wesson 4006 for a few years and I'm waiting for my SR40c to arrive at FFL. I just hope it stops raining soon.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009

44 mag and 45lc are both great cartridges, easy to reload and accept cast bullets with no issues. At reduced levels like 8 grains of Unique behind a 240 grain SWC they hit just as hard as a 45ACP. Ditto for the same powder charge in the 45lc behind a 250 grain KT.:)

Whip_McCord

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    NWI
    44 mag and 45lc are both great cartridges, easy to reload and accept cast bullets with no issues. At reduced levels like 8 grains of Unique behind a 240 grain SWC they hit just as hard as a 45ACP. Ditto for the same powder charge in the 45lc behind a 250 grain KT.:)

I use similar loads for both, but mine is 10gr AA#5. The versatility of handloading is great.

Whip_McCord

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    NWI
    You should try shooting a Ruger SR40. I always thought those 40 s&w "plastic frame" autos where useless. I have always used SA/DA revolvers in 38 spl, 41 & 44 mag. In Jan. I got a Ruger SR22 in 22lr and had a blast shooting paper. It even has something called a crimson trace laser I don't even use. A few weeks later got a SR40 and I have never had so much fun at the range. Reloading required a new set of dies, but who doesn't love new dies! Buy one of those Butler Creek uplula loaders. Try it for some great shooting at the range. I have come around to these new fun guns! Good Shooting!

I have 40S&W dies. The closest I will get to a 40 is my 1911 in Centimeter cartridge, custom built by Paul Leibenberg. It is pretty unique.

openwell

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 31, 2014
    Carmel
    I've had a Smith and Wesson 4006 for a few years and I'm waiting for my SR40c to arrive at FFL. I just hope it stops raining soon.

Rain is here for few days off and on. You will enjoy the SR40c. Few tips- It uses a slide "stop" not slide "release" so you have to get use to pulling back slide a little and then pushing down the slide stop. This allows slide to "sling shot" with speed. Otherwise you will think the slide stop requires way too much pressure. Ruger has this info in manual but I had to read about it online to get it. My SR40 shoots well with reloads of 170gr Missouri cast bullets behind 4.8 gr. Win 231. I have had great fun, gun gets top heavy ais magazine empties so my last few rounds from magazine are high or low. Shoots nice tiny group otherwise. Good Shooting!

Jharbeson

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2014
    Pekin
    Rain is here for few days off and on. You will enjoy the SR40c. Few tips- It uses a slide "stop" not slide "release" so you have to get use to pulling back slide a little and then pushing down the slide stop. This allows slide to "sling shot" with speed. Otherwise you will think the slide stop requires way too much pressure. Ruger has this info in manual but I had to read about it online to get it. My SR40 shoots well with reloads of 170gr Missouri cast bullets behind 4.8 gr. Win 231. I have had great fun, gun gets top heavy ais magazine empties so my last few rounds from magazine are high or low. Shoots nice tiny group otherwise. Good Shooting!

Thanks for the info. My wife has an SR22 and I noticed that the slide release seemed stiff. The same thing works for it as we'll.

strokin7.3

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 23, 2012
    Hancock County

My sr9c I had a while back had a very stiff slide stop but after some use it was able to be used as a release. The sr series of pistols get better and better the more you use them. I eventually quit using the slide release all together and started training to just rack the slide on reloads.

Top Bottom