Caliber Choice for a "Meat Buffalo" Which of these three????

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mayor al

Sharpshooter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 25, 2013
    Floyd/Harrison Count
    After our successful Hog Hunt last week, we have decided to return to the 'Ranch' in Missouri this Winter to take a Bison. Thr critter we want will weigh-in at about 900 on the hoof and the typical range for a shot is about 100 yards maximum.

Now my question.

I have three rifles that I am considering for the hunt.

1. A Ruger 77/44 44 magnum carbine...using 240 SJSP ammo It worked very well on hogs.

2. My Ruger GSR in .308 Win. I used 180 gr SP on big hogs, and might up the weight to 200 grain for the Bison.

OR

3. I have a brand-new Ruger Mod 77 MKII in .338 Win Mag. It would handle some Rem SP ammo in 225 grain or 250 grain. Would this be 'Overkill' ? I am confident at good shot placement, but want a minimum of meat damage from the bullet path.

Please limit you referrals to the three choices I have. I am not going out to get a Sharps rifle or a 45/70 for this hunt. It is already putting a strain on the budget !!

Joq867

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 13, 2013
    Brooksville
    I took a buffalo in Florida that was the same size at about the same distance you are stating with a Remington 700 in 30-06. A single headshot dropped her, while waiting for the truck to come pick her up she tried to get up and a single shot straight into the front of the chest stopped everything. But a year later me and another guy went to the same ranch, they picked a rogue bull for us to take ( 2200 lbs.), he had been expelled from the heard and was living on his own. It took my friend 12 or more shots to bring him down with the same rifle. They found 4 in the brain, at least 3 went through his heart, and I can't remember how many through his lungs, but all rounds hit him somewhere, he just would not go down. I would just say use the largest round you have and use good shot placement.

SNAGGLE TOOTH

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 18, 2011
    Indy
    I shot my Buffalo with crossbow at 40 yards. Dropped him in a few steps - no problem - then all I had to worry about was getting killed by his buddies.... Other than Elk it was the best meat I have ever had. If you are going all the way out there and paying for the hunt my advice is to take what you think is the coolest of the three rifles and have some fun. A .338 is not overkill for a Buffer and you want a clean one shot vital kill. Take the big gun and a chainsaw if you have to clean it yourself......

Last edited:

Buck67

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2013
    I talked with a guy that had a buffalo herd. I asked him what he used to kill them. He said the first 100 or so he just walked up to them and shot them with a 38Special. After he pissed one off with the 38 and it came after him, he said he switched to a 44 Magnum after he got out of the hospital. They aren't that hard to kill, but shot placement is crucial. There is a lot of meat for the bullet to travel through before you get to the boilerhouse. If I were you I'd pick the gun with the heaviest bullet and the most penetration. That is why the buffalo hunters used 500 to 600 grain bullets.

MRP2003

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Greenwood
    IMO 338 is the clear choice, in the 250 gr. At 100 yards, you can go even heavier if there is a bullet that is heavier. If you truly want to not ruin meat, head shot but only if you are really really good and not worried about a mount.

mayor al

Sharpshooter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 25, 2013
    Floyd/Harrison Count
    Isn't 900# a bit small for a traditional bison?

The ranch we visit sells the Bison Hunt based on the size of the Animal Taken. We aren't interested in Trophy mounting or Taxidermy, but rather in a compromise between cost and yield of useable Meat. This took the 2000 lb Bulls out of the picture for us.

Our two considerations are a Cow in the 750-900 lb weight area and 3 year old Bull in the 900-1100 lb range. We are in the process of deciding, but looking more at the Bull right now.

We will bring home the Hide, Untreated Head, and as much of the Marrow Bones as we can transport, As our neighbor does Leather Tanning for a hobby and we would like to see if she can do a 'robe-blanket' for us. That is In addition to the butchered and packaged Bison Meat, cut to our Specs. The Ranch Crew does full processing on-site,

12794.jpg

MAMA NOW... But later in the Winter she could be a target Cow

12798.jpg

The Bison have a 5 (five) sq mile woods and meadow area to wander, so it will take some doing to get the Animal we want. I believe we will use the .338 Winchester Magnum in that new Rugar 77 to do the job.

Last edited:

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Could there be an excuse for a new rifle here that you are overlooking? Can anyone really go buffalo hunting without a 45-70? Think about it?

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    1. A Ruger 77/44 44 magnum carbine I'd look into the Grizzly 320gr Hard cast for this rifle.

2. My Ruger GSR in .308 Win I'd look at the barnes tipped triple shock with this gun.

3. I have a brand-new Ruger Mod 77 MKII in .338 Win Mag Again I'd look into a tipped triple shock with this caliber as well.

I don't see why any of the three rifles you mentioned would kill the heck out of a buffalo. You're going to shoot it in the head at 100 yards, so I'd make sure I brought what I was absolutely the best shot with and then practice at the range.

Last edited:

Jason R. Bruce

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 6, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    Head shots, any of those rifles will do.... along with many other calibers. Aim between the eyeball and earhole with broadside bullet entry. Head shots are HIGHLY reccomended for wild Bison hunts where tracking can be difficult or impossible. If you're capable of shooting a 2" group at 100 yards I suggest you take advantage of head shots with the most accurate >.243 rifle you have. Bison are the ONLY North American animal I suggest hunting with the intention of head shooting.

Lung shots, arrrows kill them more efficiently than most rifles. Slow and expansive is better than fast and piercing, in Bison lvitals. Cows die quicker than bulls when lung shot, I assume due to the volume of blood involved and the rate at which oxygen is depleted in the brain. Do not worry about anchoring a pass-thru bullet into the offside shoulder, look for a full double lung with a clean exit. The extra leakage helps vaccum and flood more lung tissue, keep in mind those lungs are the size of a car door. Expect the animal to take a few steps and look around after impact, if they remain calm they'll bleed out right there. If you're too close when the gun goes off, or the animal is otherwise spooked by its surroundings (herd), it can take a while for them to go down.

mayor al

Sharpshooter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 25, 2013
    Floyd/Harrison Count
    Thanks again, Fellow Hoosiers. I am weighing (no pun intended) all of the responses received. We are serious about using the .338 Win Mag. It is a brand new rifle, about to enjoy it's virgin shooting this week sometime. I am buying 2 boxes/40 rds of Rem. 225 grain Power Point to add to the 35 rounds of 225 and 250 gr Remington Ammo already here. Our neighboring farm has room for up to 200 yard measured shots, but I don't trust myself much past 100 yards, so we will do some introductory shots at 100 and 150 yards to see what this rifle will do.

12429.jpg

12428.jpg

Last edited:

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Hornadylnl
    Where are you?? I am itching for a day out.
    PM me if you are serious.
    AL in Lanesville, IN

I'm an hour north of Indy. I looked in my cave earlier and I have 43 rounds. It's over 20 years old and the cases aren't shiny. The 3 loose ones have some corosion but should be fine if cleaned up. The Winchester, I don't have the cardboard sleave but they're softpoints. The Remingtons are in box and are 225gr softpoints. Not ammo I'd take on a hunt but at $2+ per round new, it'd be great for familiarization. Been several years since I've put a 338 down range but I remember they have a hell of a kick.

Top Bottom