• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ramen

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 9, 2009
    It looks like California will be the first state to defend the 9th Amendment. I look forward to the 10th Amendment battle with the Federal Government.

Maybe soon I will be able to legally grow HEMP (The THC free plant) for personal use in Indiana.

Such an amazing plant.

Pot Vote: Legalizing Marijuana Could Be On 2010 Ballot

Pot Vote: Legalizing Marijuana Could Be On 2010 Ballot | NBC Bay Area
    By JESSICA GREENE

A measure to legalize marijuana in California has enough signatures to qualify for the November 2010 ballot, advocates say.

The Tax and Regulate Initiative has far more than the nearly 434,000 signatures needed to make the statewide ballot, said Richard Lee, well-known Oakland medical marijuana entrepreneur and the initiative's main backer. Campaign organizers say they will submit more than 650,000 signatures of registered voters next month.

"People were eager to sign," Lee told the Chronicle. "We heard they were ripping the petitions out of people's hands to do it.

"We'll keep our organizers on the street to keep the momentum going strong, but today we're declaring an overwhelming victory."

The proposal would legalize possession of up to one ounce of marijuana for adults 21 and older. Residents could cultivate marijuana gardens up to 25 square feet. City and county governments would determine whether to permit and tax marijuana sales within their boundaries.

County election officials across the state now must validate and count the signatures before the California Secretary of State puts the measure on the ballot .

Lee's group has collected more than 680,000 signatures, about 57% more than the number needed. That should be plenty -- as a rule of thumb, about 30% of signatures on petitions can be expected to be invalidated, according to Steve Smith, a political consultant who has run many California initiative campaigns.

"I'd be very surprised if they don't qualify," Smith told the Los Angeles Times.

A Field Poll conducted in April found that 56 percent of California residents supported legalizing and taxing marijuana to help bridge the state budget deficit. Still, pro-legalization advocates are divided over whether the ballot measure is being pushed too soon.

Marijuana is illegal under federal law. But some legal scholars have argued the U.S. government could do little to make California enforce the federal ban if the drug became legal under state law.

Oakland is ground zero for marijuana legalization in the U.S. It became the first city in the country to pass a cannabis tax during a special election in July. The city is expected generate nearly $300,000 a year from taxes on medical cannabis clubs. Other California cities considering taxing medical marijuana are San Jose, Berkeley, Santa Cruz, Sacramento and Los Angeles.

Lee owns a handful of Oakland businesses, including Coffeeshop Blue Sky and the famed Oaksterdam University, where students can enroll in classes for "entering the budding cannabis job field." Lee's company has spent $1.1 million on the effort already, and expects a full campaign to cost between $7 million and $20 million.

"Medical marijuana in California has been accepted as legalization in some ways by a lot of the population," Lee told the Times. "To me this is codifying what is happening."

Copyright Associated Press / NBC Bay Area
    First Published: Dec 15, 2009 6:40 AM PST

luckydog465

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 12, 2009
    Watched a special on this the other day. Card holders could own up to 99 plants for personal use. IT is a big mess in Cali!! Don't think it will happen in Indiana and needs to stay in Cali as they know how to mess everything up in a big way!! :)

Ramen

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 9, 2009
    Watched a special on this the other day. Card holders could own up to 99 plants for personal use. IT is a big mess in Cali!! Don't think it will happen in Indiana and needs to stay in Cali as they know how to mess everything up in a big way!! :)

Yes, massive regulations and ridiculous taxes are a great way to mess anything up.

I want to see the fight between California and the federal government. The federal government needs to stop passing unconstitutional laws.

Cygnus

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    New England
    Interesting. ...

A law decriminalizing small quantitiy possession and use goes into effect in Massachusetts on 1/2/10. It is not a completet legalizationlike this appears to be though. It just turns it into a civil infraction. This will be interesting to watch in california.

Isn't there a founding father quote or 2 on the hemp plant?

Also anyone familiar with

Genesis 1:12 and Genesis 1:29 ?

DoctorJ32174

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Dec 15, 2009
    Ledalized already?

CNBC did a story on some northern counties in CA where MJ growing fields are ignored by the locals, so why get into legislation to legailize?

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Hum..

So some states passing hemp laws AGAINST the feds...
    So some states passing gun laws AGAINST the feds...
    So some states passing gay marriage AGAINST the feds...

Hum...

BtownBlaster

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2009
    Bloomington
    I've always maintained that it makes more sense to legalize and tax marijuana, than to enforce a decades old, poorly thought out law prohibiting Americans from growing and consuming a plant that thrives just about anywhere. From a realistic standpoint, you will never get rid of marijuana, so at least realize a benefit from it. Prohibition always seems to fail.

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    I enjoy seeing states stand up for state sovereignty, no matter what the issue.

Too much freedom is better than too little.

Dryden

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2009
    N.E. Indianapolis
    What was the topic of this thread?

Oh yeah, what state makes the best pot brownies. I vote for Mexico.

I gotta go see why my dog is laughing at me. Don't forget to vote.

tv1217

N6OTB
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Kouts
    The only reason I'm against this is the massive boom of "WAKE N BAKE ROLL EM' WIDE AND GET HIGH 420" retards that is sure to follow.

Top Bottom