Called Dillon today with a question......

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • S8MS-01904

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    A Carmel Roundabout
    I think that when I said the "bell is disappearing", I think I can blame it on mixed brass.

I ran a 100 last night with a larger bell, and most OAL lengths stayed around 1.144" with some at 1.1430" and some at 1.1480".

so, as long as I stay under 1.1500, all my firing instruments should function as designed.

ROLEXrifleman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    NW Indiana
    OP, based on the fact in your previous post that you referred to your guns as "firing instruments" it's quite obvious now that your are clearly over thinking this matter. Your critical eye and over analysis might be better served in the realm of long range shooting and not pistol caliber reloading.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    Don't forget that you are using coated lead bullets. It is entirely possible that your bullets have various amounts of coating thickness. For the kind of accuracy you are looking for you are plenty good to go. If you were shooting bullseye matches with a match grade pistol and needing a bullet/ gun combo that would shoot 3" or less, I'd suggest changing bullets, but still not fuss about such minuscule variations in COAL.

ljk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    May 21, 2013
    What's gonna happen when I load 165gr jumbo 9mm?

XC9MM-165RN-B0500-2.jpg

S8MS-01904

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    A Carmel Roundabout
    OP, based on the fact in your previous post that you referred to your guns as "firing instruments" it's quite obvious now that your are clearly over thinking this matter. Your critical eye and over analysis might be better served in the realm of long range shooting and not pistol caliber reloading.

So I don't get call to HR, the "work nanny's"don't see "firing instruments" as evil guns.....

This is all for USPSA, Steel Challenge, Friday Night Steel & GSSF shooting events.

ROLEXrifleman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    NW Indiana
    So I don't get call to HR, the "work nanny's"don't see "firing instruments" as evil guns.....

This is all for USPSA, Steel Challenge, Friday Night Steel & GSSF shooting events.

Someone posted a picture of projectiles, the cyber nanny has already reported you and you're on the no fly list already! lol

ljk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    May 21, 2013
    I got to do a bunch of trial loads with Xtreme 147gr tonight. I've done totally 240 rounds, 7 different head stamps range brass. de-capped on a Lee single stage with case lube, wet tumbled.

Dillon 550 with Redding seating die and Lee factory crimp die. Overall cartridge length is set to 1.113".

I wasn't doing anything special and I was able to control the overall between 1.111 to 1.115", that's good enough to me.

I'd say the plating on the Xteme bullets are pretty consistent.

IndyGlockMan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    Fishers
    to keep your tool head from flating, cut a piece of tissue paper and place it in front of the tool head as you slide it into the machine.
    If it won't go all the way in, try a little less paper until you get a nice snug fit.
    Also, tighten your shell plate all the way down, then back it off a little bit at a time until it turns will little resistance.
    the lower the shell plate, the less flex it will have.
    Oh, and make sure you are not short stroking the handle. Consistent handle pulls in the full range of motion is helpful.

I load a lot of 147gr 9mm with Titegroup. I like 3.4 grains.
    they run great through my Glock 19 and I never have any pressure issues and accuracy is good.
    Don't worry about your OAL too much. Set it to 1.150 and crank away. If some end up a little long, don't worry about it.
    I just measured a few of mine and they are about 1.155-1.160.

Top Bottom