• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • nakinate

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 1, 2013
    Noblesville
    I recently adopted a dog from a city shelter. They had him listed as a German Shepherd mix. I showed his pic to my mom and she immediately thought he looked like a Blackmouth Cur. I've done some research and think she may be right. He's 8 months old and 50 lbs. His paws are big for his body. I think he has more growing to do.

So, I'm asking those who would know better than me. Is this a BMC?

91E8F8EB-F21B-4081-9D20-EE7B703C628D_zpsy52noy60.jpg

K_W

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 14, 2008
    Indy / Carmel
    Not a dog expert, but know my dogs and that's no GSD or ASD or BMSD / BSD or the fourth variety that's name escapes me but everyone thinks is a GSD, and sure looks like the Google pics of BMC

Last edited:

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    Either that or a simple lab/shepherd mix. Sometimes the shelter knows the breed of one or both parents. Did they know, or were they guessing?

nakinate

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 1, 2013
    Noblesville
    Either that or a simple lab/shepherd mix. Sometimes the shelter knows the breed of one or both parents. Did they know, or were they guessing?
    They were guessing. The employee in charge of adoptions thought he may be a Cur. The intake employees are the ones who filled his paperwork out as a shepherd/pit mix. The intake people didn't sound too bright to me. I'm certain he doesn't have pit bull in him.

ruger1800

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 24, 2010
    Indiana
    No black mouth cur in that dog, looks like some pit and maybe German Shepard, you will know a Bmc,bark as loud as a shotgun.
    pitbuls have a screamy squel plus bark, German shepherds have the distinctive lassi type bark

nakinate

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 1, 2013
    Noblesville
    Whatever he is, he's the best behaved 8 month old dog I've ever met. He has fit right into our family. We got him as a companion for our 10 year old lab. She wasn't doing well as only dog after we lost our other dog to cancer last month.

In case anyone is wondering, his name is Commander William T. Riker, but we just call him Riker for short.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Whatever he is, he's the best behaved 8 month old dog I've ever met. He has fit right into our family. We got him as a companion for our 10 year old lab. She wasn't doing well as only dog after we lost our other dog to cancer last month.

In case anyone is wondering, his name is Commander William T. Riker, but we just call him Riker for short.

Cute pup.

May the force be with him.

The Bubba Effect

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 13, 2010
    High Rockies
    They get along well. He's playful, but very perceptive. If no one wants to play then he's fine with laying around.

That's a good deal. I can see how a young, eager pup could get old quick if it constantly pestered the established older dog. Glad to hear everything is working out with the new family member!

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    I recently adopted a dog from a city shelter. They had him listed as a German Shepherd mix. I showed his pic to my mom and she immediately thought he looked like a Blackmouth Cur. I've done some research and think she may be right. He's 8 months old and 50 lbs. His paws are big for his body. I think he has more growing to do.

So, I'm asking those who would know better than me. Is this a BMC?

91E8F8EB-F21B-4081-9D20-EE7B703C628D_zpsy52noy60.jpg

He almost looks like he could be "Farron" from the litter Maximus (formerly "Ritter") came from. Maximus is right at 8 months old an 55 pounds.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Yes, it's a dog (most likely).

Sorry not a dog expert (in case you couldn't tell by my previous sentence!), just came to look at the puppy. :)

Top Bottom