• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • redneckmedic

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Greenfield
    Looking for an easy fix here's what I've got....

12v winch powered by my spare tractor battery continuously connected to my battery charger. This entire assembly is mounted in my rafters for hanging/skinning deer.

Problem: In cold tempatures the performance is less than desirable, especially with larger deer.

Solution 1: replace entire system with chain hoist
    Problem to sol1: I don't to spend another $50

Solution 2: build/buy a 120v to 12v inverter.
    Problem to sol2: I'm electricity ignorant

Solution 3: ......?

What's your thoughts?

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    You need a bigger battery

Or a bigger charger. If the hoist is pulling 10 amps and he's using a trickle charger, it won't take much use to outpace the charging capacity.

I'm thinking this is a case of getting the right tool for the job.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    is the battery good?

This is kinda where I'm thinking...If the battery's getting old, it may not perform as well. I'd think about not leaving that charger on there full time. It's conceivable you're over charging it. Another thing to consider is adding a second battery--hooking it up in parallel. It'd give you twice the power and reserve.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    The battery charger is the 120->12V supply, but it's no way going to be able to run the winch by itself. The battery is necessary for the current draw. In cold weather, lead acid batteries run less efficiently. How old is the battery? It'll have to be replaced just like a car battery every few years. Does the charger go to "trickle" when the battery is charged? It may say on it somewhere. Otherwise, overcharging will shorten the battery's life. I'd probably still go with a chain hoist; less to go wrong, and you should be able to get a sufficient one for a lot less than $50.

redneckmedic

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Greenfield
    Charger is a harbor freight car charger, and the winch is from there as well. I was wanting to bypass the battery and charger. Battery is two yrs old and only serves this purpose.... should have buckedup and bought the 120v winch.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    If you are using a constant delivery charger and not a smart charger you may have reduced the battery's cycle time and ability. We are using bass boat style battery tenders on our back up systems and the batt's are on top of their game. A constant trickle are delivery type charger is not the best way to do this.

indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    If you don't have a good 12V charger and 50A car start assist style, that should run your winch. But the right tool for the job is the best way.

remauto1187

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 25, 2012
    Stepping Stone
    The battery charger is the 120->12V supply, but it's no way going to be able to run the winch by itself. The battery is necessary for the current draw. In cold weather, lead acid batteries run less efficiently. How old is the battery? It'll have to be replaced just like a car battery every few years. Does the charger go to "trickle" when the battery is charged? It may say on it somewhere. Otherwise, overcharging will shorten the battery's life. I'd probably still go with a chain hoist; less to go wrong, and you should be able to get a sufficient one for a lot less than $50.

+1 on the efficiency. Its true that a lead/acid battery's capacity is reduced in cold weather. If you look on the battery you will see (CA) Cranking amps usually rated around 32 Deg, then you will see (CCA) Cold Cranking Amps which is the amount of amps a battery can provide at 0 deg. Both rated for 30 seconds approximately.

If you really want to stick with a "electric" winch then just get a 12vdc power supply that is atleast 25% more current output than what the tag says on the winch (current draw). The true output would be 13.8vdc-15.8vdc which your winch can use safely without burning up. (specs for a standard car alternator and atv/tractor, etc. voltage regulator). You will need a case to put it all in, 4 high output diodes, transformer(120vac to 12vac), heatsink for the diodes, some capacitors to clean the output up, power cord, output leads to the winch and associated internal mounting screws and chassis mounted fuse. Cost would depend of the current output needed. I would guess under $100..but need more info to get a more detailed estimate. The thing would last your lifetime and then some being used only for the winch.
    Unless you god some ungodly big honkin winch, your standard car battery should keep up quite a bit of use in a day when fully charged. Me thinks your battery is Dying! Check the water? (assuming it isnt maint. free). Are the plates getting what looks like lime scale on them? If so, then the battery is doomed.

Last edited:

remauto1187

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 25, 2012
    Stepping Stone
    If you don't have a good 12V charger and 50A car start assist style, that should run your winch. But the right tool for the job is the best way.

Those usually arent 100% duty cycle. There is usually a thermistor attached to the power heatsink that takes the temp and when the designed in temp is reached it temporarily shuts the output off until the thermistor cools down. Most circuit board more modern charges just have a built in timer that shuts it down after so many seconds. My Schumaker shuts down after 10 seconds IIRC and then counts down like 120 seconds or so before you can try again. This keeps the rectifiers (Diodes) from burning up.

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    Not sure that you actually read the OP, this isn't a physics problem its a power source issue.

:dunno: Snatch block reduces the power required by 50%, which may be enough to let your charging system keep pace.

Obviously, it will need to run longer, but reducing the duty cycle is normally enough to make up for longer power draw times.

Top Bottom