Calling all Jeep/4x4/Offroad Enthusiasts!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    I'm looking for some volunteers! In September, the DNR puts on a huge event at Fort Harrison State Park. As part of this event, the Indiana Four Wheel Drive Association, and my local Club (JPFrog Offroaders), runs a "Jeep/4x4 Ride" for attendees. We give folks a ride around a short "course" to introduce them to our hobby.

Since there are tons of folks out there who own a Jeep or other 4x4, but don't belong to a "club" or to the Association, we are opening up our volunteer ranks to anyone who would like to help out. This is a GREAT way to meet some other offroad enthusiasts, says "thanks" to the DNR for supporting us, and maybe even introduce a few new folks to the sport. While you are volunteering, you can also check out the many other activities at this event. Bring the whole family!

HOE-banner.jpg

Hoosier Outdoor Experience 2014
    September 20 and 21
    Fort Harrison State Park
    Indianapolis, IN

2014 Hoosier Outdoor Experience 4x4 Rides Registration
    (https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1Qin5Y4BfdIOlYq8eOBb2SyISpJmfamP6GBR7R-eOhrE/viewform?usp=send_form)

Note: DO NOT fill out a volunteer registration for the DNR!!!! Their form is NOT for drivers. If you register for BOTH, then we will end up with less help!

4x4 Rides!

Once again, the Indiana Four Wheel Drive Association (IFWDA) and our partners at the Indiana DNR, and the local host club JPFrog Offroaders, will be providing 4x4 Rides during the Hoosier Outdoor Experience. We are looking for volunteers, drivers, and vehicles to make this event a success!

What is this event?
    The Hoosier Outdoor Experience is Indiana’s largest, hands-on outdoor recreation event. Featuring more than 50 activities and 120 grassroots partners, this free weekend provides opportunities to learn about the great Indiana outdoors.
    DNR: The Ford Hoosier Outdoor Experience

We will be giving guests a short ride around a dirt trail. The trail has a few “obstacles” in the form of bumps, rocks, and a few little hills. Not extreme 4-wheeling, but enough to give folks new to the sport a taste.

How can I help?
    We have lots of opportunities! The biggest need is for vehicles and drivers. We expect to give HUNDREDS of rides throughout the weekend. To keep the lines short, we need to keep a steady stream of vehicles moving around the trail. Roughly a dozen vehicles should be going at any one time, and a few more “in reserve” will give other drivers a break. We will have two 4-hour shifts on each day, and you can sign up for one or more. See below for driver and vehicle requirements.

I’m not an IFWDA Member, can I still help?
    Yes! IFWDA and JPFrog Offroaders are handling the logistics, but ANY 4x4 owner can participate. Club membership is not required for this event.

What if I don’t have a vehicle? Can I still help?
    Of course! We also need volunteers to help with loading and unloading (we’ll have a step stool for the taller trucks), and volunteers to work our tent. The tent will have a sign-off form for the riders, and information about off-roading in Indiana.

What are the vehicle requirements?
    Pretty standard stuff, with a few special requirements for this event. First, we prefer open-top vehicles (Jeeps, Suzukis, H1’s, old Broncos, etc...), especially if the weather is nice. Other unique and interesting vehicles would be great. ANY 4WD vehicle is welcome. Seating for 3 passengers is preferred, though 2-seaters will be put to use. Other requirements:

- Functional seat belts or harnesses for ALL passengers MUST be worn while moving.
    - Roll-over protection (cage, bar, or steel roof) over all passengers
    - No open headers
    - Vehicles may be subject to a brief safety inspection by IFWDA and/or DNR. Any vehicle deemed unsafe will not be allowed on the trail.

How do I volunteer?
    In an effort to keep this event coordinated, one of IFWDA’s local clubs (JPFrog Offroaders) is managing the logistics. REGISTRATION LINK AT THE TOP OF THE PAGE. Contact Ryan Sweany (info below) for more info.

Of course, you can also PM me here, or post. I'll do my best to respond.

Ryan Sweany
    rsweany@gmail.com

hardtrailz400

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 12, 2008
    Batesvegas
    Sucks. IFWDA loses a ton of support because this is across town from the biggest 4x4 event in the state every year. Wish it would be on a different weekend one of these years and I could help out.

terrehautian

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 6, 2012
    Where ever my GPS says I am
    One way or another, I will be there with a Jeep for at least a half day. I don't know if my XJ with 4" lift and 31's can do the rock garden though. Did you get any response about the pm I sent you and we were talking about? Let me know if you want to get the banner? I will be on vacation from the 30th to the 8th.

For those who are on the fence, even though the "course" is rather boring for us, the laughter, smiles and giggles from people riding in the Jeeps just makes you smile. Last year I was in a friends JKU with the top down. When they wanted to get muddy (a little bit of mud splattered on them), the screams made it worth it.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Sucks. IFWDA loses a ton of support because this is across town from the biggest 4x4 event in the state every year. Wish it would be on a different weekend one of these years and I could help out.
    Bah... don't get me started. It is the same weekend as events for pretty much every activity provider, but they all seem to manage. We'll manage again this year (I hope).

A few other notes:
    - the DNR will be providing fuel for all volunteer drivers again this year. Show up with a full tank, and you will leave with a full tank. Diesel, too. I am checking on propane. No E85, though.
    - Primitive camping will be available for volunteers this year! Both Friday and Saturday nights. If you are volunteering, and want to camp, let me know and I'll get you the passes you need.
    - Two years ago all volunteers got FREE passes to Redbird SRA. I may be able to swing that again.

Bennettjh

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Columbus
    I wish I could help again this year but I have prior commitments. We had a good time last year. I didn't realize it was such a big event, I stayed in the Jeep all day(except for a potty break). I couldn't leave with that big of a crowd waiting to ride. It's a nice event you folks put on.

If anyone is thinking about giving rides or helping in any way, I highly recommend it. Good bunch of folks.

Top Bottom