• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Reno316

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 7, 2012
    Muncie
    Wondering how much this is going to cost me to fix...

I have a 2005 Grand Cherokee, 3.7 L V-6, AWD, 162k miles.

In general, it runs like a champ. However...

I notice that my air conditioning is intermittent in many ways. Sometimes it blows nice, cold air and will do so for a long while (couple hours). Sometimes when I start the engine, even though the A/C is "On", I don't get cold air, but rather the ambient outside air temp blowing through. And other times, I'll get cold air for a while, then I can *hear* the fan going but I don't *feel* air coming out of the vents.

I can't seem to make rhyme or reason out of it.

Any input?

I don't want to have to dump this vehicle... It's paid off, it runs great, fits my needs PERFECTLY, etc. And while A/C is nice, it's not a necessity, so if I just have to suck it up and live with it, so be it. But if I can get it fixed for less than a grand, I might just do it. But I don't know what the heck could cause this.

Ideas are welcome.

Best,

steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    I notice that my air conditioning is intermittent in many ways. Sometimes it blows nice, cold air and will do so for a long while (couple hours). Sometimes when I start the engine, even though the A/C is "On", I don't get cold air, but rather the ambient outside air temp blowing through. And other times, I'll get cold air for a while, then I can *hear* the fan going but I don't *feel* air coming out of the vents.

A point of clarification: Are you saying that sometimes even when the fan is turned on, absolutely nothing blows out of the vents? Ambient air or otherwise? But you can hear the fan turning?

Reno316

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 7, 2012
    Muncie
    A point of clarification: Are you saying that sometimes even when the fan is turned on, absolutely nothing blows out of the vents? Ambient air or otherwise? But you can hear the fan turning?

Correct. I hear the fan turning. I hold my hand over the vents (four in the front dash, one in the back seat on the back of the center console) and feel NO air movement at all.

I've purchase an A/C recharge unit from the local parts shop (AutoZone, I believe it was) and refilled the freon (or whatever it is they use now...) if that helps.

steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    Ok then, I have to agree with eldirector about the blend door. Horrible design, common failure.

If it blew cold at times, then your compressor and A/C system were probably fine... if you added a bunch of freon then you need to check and make sure it isn't over-filled. That will cause the compressor to cycle off and on.

Last edited:

bocefus78

Master
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 9, 2014
    Hamilton Co.
    Common issue. Replaced 4 of em in my chevy. Blend door or mode acuator. Just hope the dash doesn't need to come out. Fwiw, there could be more than 1 bad so be prepared for that too. If the dash does come out, replace them all if u can afford it.

HamsterStyle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Jul 27, 2010
    Carthage
    Also, when it comes to recharging the ac system, I highly recommend having a pro pull vacuum on the whole system and fill it to exact specifications. A little plus or minus can really screw with the system. Plus, when they pull the vacuum, they can tell you if you have any leaks and what they are.

Top Bottom