• ...and so much more!
  • churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    We are looking into a good camera home security system.
    We need a minimum of 8 cameras as we are covering to property's next to each other. More would be OK but we feel coverage could be had with 8 well placed cameras.
    I realize options are a key to price.

Looking for links to systems anyone has had good/fair/bad experiences with.
    We want to buy once and be done.

JollyMon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2012
    Westfield, IN
    With anything the more obstructions and distance the worse the signal. But if you are not concerned with running wires, I suggest that route.

I went an el cheapo route so I cant recommend anything at that price point but the struggles that I had and still have is powering the wireless cameras. I am stuck trying to locate my cameras close to a outlet. I feel with a wired option the power may be included in the wires ran, but I think it depends on the models..... its been a while since I researched them.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    With anything the more obstructions and distance the worse the signal. But if you are not concerned with running wires, I suggest that route.

I went an el cheapo route so I cant recommend anything at that price point but the struggles that I had and still have is powering the wireless cameras. I am stuck trying to locate my cameras close to a outlet. I feel with a wired option the power may be included in the wires ran, but I think it depends on the models..... its been a while since I researched them.

This is a concern for us but we have the skills to do all the wiring.

Super Bee

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 2, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    I have been reading up on these for weeks as I am also interested in purchasing a kit. I have a few friends and my in-laws who have a Swann kit.

Very nice kit, installs in hours, 1080p cameras and you can watch every camera instantly on your smart phone. The pictures over my brother-in-laws phone is as clear as a LCD TV. This is the kit I will most likely be getting.

Swann Security Camera System 8 Channel 1080p DVR Outdoor Home Surveillance CCTV | eBay

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    I bought Blue Iris software to control my cams. Upgradable and handles 64 cams. Built in web streaming and phone app. I had to upgrade my CPU and RAM though. Haven't found cams I love yet.

look at an IR flood light in the wavelength of your IR sensor for the cams. Lights up my yard like day time :):

I bought a NAS (network attached storage) of 3GB with a raid setup (so 2 3TB drives mirrored) and I store all images/vids on that. I am currently taking a pic every two mins from this cam I stuck on a shelf in our upstairs bedroom. Hoping to make a loop when pool done.

Last edited:

JollyMon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2012
    Westfield, IN
    I too use the Blue Iris software with my wireless cameras (foscam 8910w). The only issue I have is when my computer does an automated restart and then the software wont restart on its own.

But my setup came out of a need to watch my infant daughter sleep and just expanded from that. If I were to do it over I might go different routes

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    I have SWANN cameras at my place.
    They are ok (older cameras now). I know for the money you can do better.
    If you get a dvr for the cameras, get one that does more channels then what you want (like a gun safe).

I would go wired as well, we have tried (again, cheap) wireless. They SUCKED.

I know some will say PTZ's aren't worth it, I disagree, I have a couple and LOVE THEM. You can aim them from the comforts of inside.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    I have been reading up on these for weeks as I am also interested in purchasing a kit. I have a few friends and my in-laws who have a Swann kit.

Very nice kit, installs in hours, 1080p cameras and you can watch every camera instantly on your smart phone. The pictures over my brother-in-laws phone is as clear as a LCD TV. This is the kit I will most likely be getting.

Swann Security Camera System 8 Channel 1080p DVR Outdoor Home Surveillance CCTV | eBay

Or this: Swann 8 Channel 1080p TVI DVR Security System with 8 1080p Cameras, 2TB Hard Drive, and 100' Night Vision - Sam's Club

Bennettjh

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Columbus
    :popcorn:

Would love to get a setup for our home as well.

ETA: It's none of my business but I hope nothing bad is happening at your homestead.

Last edited:

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    :popcorn:

Would love to get a setup for our home as well.

ETA: It's none of my business but I hope nothing bad is happening at your homestead.

To the astute listener it's actually an invitation to the inaugural Hoosierdoc Soiree and pool party!!!!!!!!!!:rockwoot:(Of course, you had to read between the lines! Say lines 6 & 8)

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I can only add the following:

You get what you pay for. Sub-$100 Swanns will be dead or severely degraded in picture quality within 18-24 months. (actual experience at my home)
    Cut the stated IR Useful distance by 1/4. If they say they are good to 40', expect reasonable performance at 10'.

Im a big fan of these: Not cheap but really good.

https://www.ubnt.com/products/#surveillance

I've also heard interesting things about Netgear NAS appliances and their ability to also record video with a free plugin. SO you get RAID protected file storage for your home network, as well as an NVR on top of it. Never used it, but I recognize good cameras in the supported list.
    Network Storage | Home | NETGEAR
    ReadyNAS Surveillance | ReadyNAS | Storage | Business | NETGEAR

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Link does not work.

I want a common system to cover everything. Next time you are over I will lay it out for you.

I just noticed this. Definitely make it two systems. you want your cameras as absolutely as close as possible to the action. You've been to my house CM. MY High def cameras with decent IR are useless about where the sidewalk starts to positively ID a person at night.

Now providing cover to cross the views to get two angles is good, but dont rely on one system to record both properties as some cameras may be too far away.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    Iq eye cameras (vicon) are nice. Not inexpensive. But they are going to last 4-8 years and the sunlight will

If if you have interior camera and a power over Ethernet switch then just run cat 5/6 cable to each.
    Outdoor or ptz's need a 24 volt ac power supply as POE does not cut the mustard with heat fans and motors.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I just noticed this. Definitely make it two systems. you want your cameras as absolutely as close as possible to the action. You've been to my house CM. MY High def cameras with decent IR are useless about where the sidewalk starts to positively ID a person at night.

Now providing cover to cross the views to get two angles is good, but dont rely on one system to record both properties as some cameras may be too far away.

I will be hard wiring the system. No Wi-Fi.
    One system.....8 cameras and the distances you state should be good.
    You have to understand what a :n00b: I am with electronics. I can wire it up and get it going but the KISS scenario is in place here.......Keep it simple stupid.
    I can fix your furnace....build you a sweet 1911....a nice AR and am a fair hand at building 750 HP big blocks but not a sharp cookie beyond that.

Top Bottom