Camp Atterbury July 23—Jul 24: 500 yards of rifle challenge! Who's going?!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • yellowhousejake

Sharpshooter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 25, 2009
    Greenfield
    Weave through the s curve and pass under the awning. Continue straight ahead paying close attention to the posted speed limit, especially if there are troops marching. Range Control will be several blocks ahead on your left. They share the intersection with the Fire Department and air services, which will be ahead of you as you pass in front of Range Control.

DAve

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    Ah, reading this thread brings back good memories...:ar15:

A word to the wise, a small pair of binoculars or even a monocular will be your friend. You'll want to be able to see the "sighter discs" on your targets when they come up after scoring, and if I recall correctly, they come up at times when the line is cold and you're not allowed to handle your rifle (in other words, if your only optics are attached to your rifle, and you can't see the discs with the naked eye, you're screwed). 4x is more than enough magnification, anywhere on the utilized portion of the range.

I would take and use something that repels ticks. It's been rainy lately, and the grass on those ranges is quite high before they mow it. Also, be careful about rubbing your eyes with your fingers. Do not assume that because you're in the middle of a grassy field, there is no poison ivy around. I got the worst case of poison ivy I ever got down there, right in the middle of the grass and through my jeans (probably a small shrubby plant that got mowed off and left a sappy stub that soaked through while I was shooting prone). It probably won't happen to you and it's all part of the experience anyway. But watch the eyes. You want to be able to enjoy the second day fully and benefit from it, because that's when it all comes together.

Have fun folks, and don't forget to thank your volunteers when you're done!

Class of 6-2013
    Appleseed%20Atterbury%20Photo%202%206.16.13_zpsttydtxms.jpg

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    I really was kidding. I cut beer out a few days ago.

I did a shoot with conditions very similar to these a few years ago. Not only did I get a sunburn that would have made the folks at the guiness book of world records cringe, but I drank a few (litterally a few as in 3) the night before, and it was a horrible idea.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    I'm really going to have to talk with one of the doctors at work about this hydration thing. They are all nephrologists and know everything about fluid retention in the body.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    Prize items will have a retail value of roughly 1800 dollars, and will include.

Vortex Talon HD 8x42 binoculars
    Vortex Strike eagle 1-6
    Vortex Crossfire 2 1-4
    Vortex Viper 4-12x40

ol' Huff

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 8, 2012
    You can just go ahead and put any one of those items in my pack, Alan. No need for you to lug it around.

Top Bottom