• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CopperWires

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 26, 2009
    Jeffersonville
    Some friends and I are heading to Monroe for some camping this spring. We have never been there before and I was hoping maybe someone could help me out with picking a good site. I prefer to be on or near the water so we can fish off the bank. Trees/shade is nice. And of course proximity to shower house and distance from the playground should be considered. We will be tent camping and we might need 2 sites. Any suggestions?

Bigum1969

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    SW Indiana
    We will be camping this summer at Lake Monroe with our Travel Trailer. I haven't been to that campground yet, but it sounds like tyler34 has a great recommendation.

CopperWires

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 26, 2009
    Jeffersonville
    Thanks for the suggestion. The only thing is...I would like to have electric. I found out last night that we will have a pop-up camper with us. What about 77 and 79 on section 2? They are right next to your suggested sites.

Buckhunter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 25, 2009
    Shelby Co
    yeah Paynetown is where I always go they have electric and non electric camp sites. I always try to get the same camp site. I don't have my map handy or I could tell you some good sites. I would just go there and pay the admission fee drive around and look at the sites before you just pick a site. If you go all the way to the back there are some good sites right on the water, good shade, and chose to a shower house.

westfork

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Mar 25, 2009
    Ellettsville
    we had a little family get together there last year before memorial day and the crowds were minimal. should be good timing as long as the weather cooperates.

lots of flooding last year at that time, but right now i think lake levels should be fine.

have fun!

AGarbers

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Martinsville
    You could also check Harden Ridge

I have been to Paynetown and I never want to camp like that again. It was wall to wall tents and campers. While I have never camped at the USFS campground of Hardin Ridge, I have been told there is much more room between camping spots, and limited permits making it more of a true camping experience.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    We camped at Lake Monroe a couple of years ago. It was nice until the tornadoes hit. One went right through the campground. It overturned a number of campers, but thankfully ours was only slightly damaged. It knocked down trees that blocked the only exit out of the area, though, so we were trapped there until they could remove them.

So, I guess what I'm saying is the place sucks because it attracts tornadoes.

CopperWires

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 26, 2009
    Jeffersonville
    LOL...ok thanks I guess. So a freak weather pattern can ruin my stay. And I shouldn't expect to be in the "wilderness" at a car camping site. LOL. You guys are funny. This might come off offensive but I honestly don't mean it like this but... If you go to a car camping site do you always expect it to be quiet and uncrowded? I pretty much expect lots of people camping at these places. Please don't take offense to what I'm saying. I just thought it was funny. If you want space at a campground you need to find some wilderness camping.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I would rather wilderness camp, but I need to have me some electricity and toilets. Hard to find those amenities at anything but a sardine-style campground

AGarbers

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Martinsville
    No offense taken...

I'll be the first to admit that I would rather be hiking the Grand Canyon that walking Disney World. I would rather be canoeing in the Boundary Waters with a broken leg than spend another night at any state ran Indiana campground. My last "camping" trip in a state ran campground was spent trying to bury my head in my pillow while the drunks fifteen feet away yelled and partied until 3AM. After camping for years in Arizona and Colorado where we were the only people for miles around, it was culture shock!

Gatlin

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    Try sites 171 and 172. They both face the lake with any drunks behind you. Very easy access to the water. Bath house is close although I don't remember where the nearest playground is.

tyler34

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    bloomington
    I just booked site non-electric site 46 on this map for this coming weekend (april 30 - may 3)

http://www.in.gov/dnr/parklake/files/monroe_paynetown_nonelectric.pdf

The weather is not looking too good, but its the last long weekend I have for quite some time.

Edit, other map of the campground. not sure why there are two
    http://www.in.gov/dnr/parklake/files/monroe_paynetown_electric_nonelectric.pdf

I don't wanna be a downer but you got a horrible camp spot. you got a spot thats basically a field with no trees. see if you can switch to to A1 or A2 in the other campground. they are away from crowds and in the woods right on the edge of the lake.

this is site A1 looking up the trail to the parking lot

SNC00011.jpg

overview of the site

SNC00013.jpg

tyler34

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    bloomington
    yeah not trying to be a downer just trying to make sure you have a enjoyable time. A1 is the only spot I camp at but A2 is also good also the B section is okay. fair warning A1 is the most popular site there, also don't try to reserve it may 8th-10th thats when I'll be there.;)

Top Bottom