Camping in Greene-Sullivan State Forest (Linton stripper pits)?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DCM8513

Marksman
    Rating - 93.3%
    14   1   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    Hey all, Im planning on taking a little overnight camping trip with the family in the next couple of weeks. Im in fising mode so I was wanting to try somewhere that was close to a little water. I have heard that the fishing is pretty good in the stripper pits down in or close to Linton Indiana. I also heard you can set up camp right on the water. Not sure if its true but looking for a little insight as I'm not familiar with this area. Prefer not to have an "assigned" camping spot if possible, and am thinking about bringing a couple fishing kayaks. If this isnt as ideal as I'm thinking, im open to suggestions. Im from indy and Linton distance or shorter is about all we'll have time to drive. Thanks in advance!

nrbq

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 5, 2012
    knox county
    Bring the kayaks. wampler lake has about 4 or 5 spots you can fish from. Eads camp has 3 or 4. Res.26 has a fishing pier. No electric. I prefer wampler. Go during the week so you'll have a better chance of getting one of these spots. 100 lakes on 9000 acres. 3 campgrounds and Linton is close if you need anything. Probably around 150 campsights total. My fav. state forest.

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    Res 26 is awesome, probably full of grass so you'll want some top water scum frogs and braided line... they got some biguns in there.

GSSF is a hidden gem for outdoorsmen

DCM8513

Marksman
    Rating - 93.3%
    14   1   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    Yeah the more I look into it the more I wanna try it out. So it sounds like its limited to designated spots for camping. Any on the water? I really enjoy the kayak fishing because it opens up a lot of options. What do you guys think is the best lake for large mouth.

spainy79

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Sullivan
    In my opinion; Res. 26 and Graveyard hold the best bass. If you go to Graveyard, launch from the SW side off of highway 159 (you'll almost be in Pleasantville, south of Dugger), not the NE side within the forest. As far as camping close to the water; Wampler. Wampler is ok for bass but is usually a good spot for the bluegill spawn.

beehunter

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 29, 2013
    I live about 5 min from res 26 and it is a good bass lake but you will fight the weeds this time of year. Airline has some good fishing but its tough to fish.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I turkey hunt down there, and this yr stayed at a cabin a bud rented. Was OK.
    Yr before cuz and I stayed in town, that too OK.
    But we are more interested in hunting/fishing so not overly picky. What guys find tolerable, or even good, many women might not.
    Both places clean, just beds a little on the hard side and decor was rather dated.
    I'm a campfire and beer guy, so as long as the bed is clean, I'm not inside except to shower and sleep.

church

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 10, 2013
    Margaritaville
    I havent fished airline pit since I was a boy. My dad used to take me there when we would go down to my grandpas peice of land just outside coal city. Some good memories right there.

DCM8513

Marksman
    Rating - 93.3%
    14   1   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    Thanks for the input, hoping to go down for a night in a couple weeks. Probably give Wampler a try, like the idea of camping on the water and sounds like the bass fishing is decent. Ill throw up some pics if I catch anything worth bragging about.

beehunter

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 29, 2013
    There is a self registration booth set up at wampler, just pick out which available campsite you want, fill out the evelope with your money and put it drop box. Word of advice make sure you are legal on everything because it seems they patrol wampler daily.

vwarren

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Feb 2, 2011
    greenfield
    My dad, my son and I have been down about 4 times this year the fishing is always good but the last couple years the buffalo gnats have been terrible! I've found relief with vanilla extract and a face mask.

Top Bottom