• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • catielynnb

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 16, 2012
    Louisville
    So, for the past few weeks (since school started again) I've been curious as to what the University's plan is for an Active Shooter situation. Ran across the plans today, posted on the wall of the classroom (along with tornado, building evac, and 'General Information') for professors/students if there were an active shooter.

Figured it might generate a somewhat interesting discussion - and I assume it's pretty similar to several other campuses. (I did get conformation that it is almost identical as two other Universities on the East Coast)

Active Shooter
    (If you hear gunfire or see a person with a gun, take immediate steps to protect your students and yourself.)

1. Stop Class
    2. If you are near an exterior exit, try to escape from the building.
    3. If you are in an office or classroom, immediately close the door and lock it if possible. Use desks and chairs to block the doorway.
    4. Stay away from windows and out of view. Turn off the lights. Hide behind Heavy furniture or anything that will hide your location and protect you from bullets.
    5. If a phone is available, call 911.
    6. If you are in an open area, find a room to hide in.
    7. If the gunman approaches you, your actions will depend solely on your judgement and capabilities. No strategy is 100% effective.

So, there's that.
    I have a few issues with this, as I'm sure that some professors wouldn't even know what to do. (Or if they knew, because campus is quite large - they may not hear right away.)

And why is there a rather blatant contradiction within numbers 2 and 6. I'm supposed to run from one building to the next, and then find a way to escape that one and get to another.... This does not seem intelligent.

The last one is pure gold. You took away my 'capabilities' by telling me, a legal gun owner (who practices!) when you told me I couldn't carry on campus. It's frustrating. /start sarcasm Those signs that tell me I cannot carry are going to stop the shooter when he comes to a building! That's how that works, right? So I can run inside a door and point to the sign?! Will that work... /end sarcam

So, discuss?

KW730

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 18, 2012
    My personal plan is to stay in the classroom and have ready access to my weapon that may or may not be concealed in my bag.

AndersonIN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 21, 2009
    Anderson, IN
    Guidelines for Faculty, Staff, and Students - Ball State University

Ball State's Active Shooter plan!

Is it just me or have they already written off your life (and others) and now are more worried about making sure that you don't disturb the evidence!

"If there is absolutely no opportunity of escape or hiding, it might be possible to negotiate with the shooter; attempting to overpower the shooter with force should be considered a very last resort and only after all other options have been exhausted. If the shooter leaves the area, proceed immediately to a safer place. Do not touch anything that was in the area of the shooter because of possible explosives being left and crucial evidence being lost."

Mr. Habib

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Somewhere else
    We covered this shortly after VA tech at the university where I work along with fire, natural disaster and other "training". When the instructor ask what we would do if there was a shooter in the building, I raised my hand. Apparently, "engage the threat while moving to cover, and continue to engage until the threat is neutralized", wasn't the answer they were looking for.

45calibre

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 28, 2008
    NWI
    We covered this shortly after VA tech at the university where I work along with fire, natural disaster and other "training". When the instructor ask what we would do if there was a shooter in the building, I raised my hand. Apparently, "engage the threat while moving to cover, and continue to engage until the threat is neutralized", wasn't the answer they were looking for.

:laugh: are you joking or serious?

Bigshep

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 29, 2012
    New Albany
    Ivy Tech's Active Shooter on Campus procedure:

1.Move out of the hallways into classroom or office. If in office or classroom, remain there. DO NOT EVACUATE INTO THE HALLWAYS OR EXIT THE BUILDING.

2. Lock doors (if locks are available) and barricade door with furniture.

3. Turn off lights in room.

4. Move away from doors and windows.

5. Lie on floor and wait for emergency personnel.

From what I can tell it seems that most schools have a lay down and die policy where their main defense against a bullet is to put your face directly in its trajectory. At least we have some of the Sheriff guys at my campus. Then again you rarely see them. I honestly don't think that they do any kind of patrols or anything, which should be required in a building(s) with that many unlocked doors and ways in. Sure you can get to any place from any place on campus within a minute or 2 if you move with a purpose, but there's still the problem that you have to wait for someone else to take care of your problem.

canav844

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 22, 2011
    Make good targets, move to one group to be a big target, move to predesignated areas so student attackers know where the big target is, help us raise the body count of the madman so we can make the big news headlines. Seems to be the boiler plate policy since columbine.

I got in enough trouble when pointing that out to teachers and administration in a Chicago suburb high school, they differed "this is what the police department advised us to do so this is what we are doing" and then "this is what other police department advises schools to do, so it's what we advise your school to do" Dare questioning authority was not welcomed. In high school the average response time to the multitude of unplanned fire drills ranged 5 to 15min before the first squad car arrived, in college there was one deputy on campus, if you could find him and when I attempted to do that to report an accident he was nowhere to be found (no car even on campus). Nor have I seen a single lock anywhere in a school that can stop a shotgun. Of course steps can be taken before an active shooter situation starts like having multiple exits, sitting near them but not in view of the door, and preferably a corner or flank to the door as most untrained won't look there first. It's all a matter of whether you decide to be a fish in a barrel or fight back.

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Lawrence County
    Well, the discussion made me curious because my son attends Rose-Hulman in Terre Haute. Rose is a private school and therefore definitely NOT a gun free zone. I know several students who hold CCL and carry at Rose. Be that as it may, I just drew this from their emergency response document on the Rose website:

1. Gunfire - If you become aware of gunfire occurring in the building, attempt to evacuate immediately. If evacuation might place you and/or fellow building occupants at risk, take refuge in a room that can be locked. The room should also provide limited visibility to anyone that is outside of it. Secure the door and hide under a desk, in a closet or in the corner.
    The first response is to escape - get away - evacuate. ONLY WHEN it puts people in danger to do so do they recommend hiding and locking the door.

I know exactly what my son would do. Trust me, the shooter is in big trouble. He's better than me.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Butler University's plan:
    http://www.butler.edu/media/769311/cerp_final_2010_11.pdf

7.16.5 If an active shooter enters your office or classroom
    Try to remain calm. Call BUPD, if possible, and alert police to the shooter’s location; if you can’t speak,
    leave the line open so the dispatcher can listen to what’s taking place. Normally the location of a 911 call
    can be determined without speaking. If there is absolutely no opportunity for escape or hiding, it might not
    be possible to negotiate with an active shooter; attempting to overpower the shooter with force should be
    considered, after all other options have been exhausted. If the shooter leaves the area, proceed immediately
    to a safe place and do not touch anything that was in the vicinity of the shooter.

BlueEagle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    So glad I finished my degree online....my campus allowed me to have a .357 on my desk and a shotgun in the corner. :p

But the start of my degree, when I did attend U of L, (Same school as OP,) I know that I was not always unarmed. School policy != State/Federal law.

catielynnb

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 16, 2012
    Louisville
    I think that IU's policy was written by the French. Hide under a desk, wet yourself, wait to die.

That's more than funny. I got a decent laugh out of almost everything you said. :)

5. Lie on floor and wait for emergency personnel.

From what I can tell it seems that most schools have a lay down and die policy where their main defense against a bullet is to put your face directly in its trajectory.

I thought that was the best plan ever, totally the best.

At least we have some of the Sheriff guys at my campus. Then again you rarely see them. I honestly don't think that they do any kind of patrols or anything, which should be required in a building(s) with that many unlocked doors and ways in.

I'm jealous of you at least having Sheriff guys on campus.

Scout103

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 29, 2012

AndersonIN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 21, 2009
    Anderson, IN
    Odd I haven't read one of the guidelines that gives remedial yoga instructions to better facilitate sticking you head between you legs and kissing your butt goodbye! If you're going to following the rest of the guideline I would think that this could be VERY BENEFICIAL!!!!

netsecurity

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 14, 2011
    Hancock County
    I just want to point out that "moving away from doors" generally results in moving yourself into a far corner, making it easier for the shooter to open the door and shoot you while you are too far to stop him, even if he is reloading or jammed. The better plan if the walls are solid, is to line up parallel to the door, and if the door opens you all are prepared to bum rush the attacker from close up.

When distance is involved, the advantage goes to the shooter, so get as close to him as possible, but where he can't see you, and ambush him. Oh, and every room should have a baseball bat or two...very effective at knocking the gun out of his hands, or knocking him unconscious/killing him.

PS - I'd prefer A) Having a gun, and/or B) Jumping out the window to the above, but if trapped, ambush is where it is at!

Top Bottom