• ...and so much more!
  • PaulKersey

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Sep 16, 2012
    Evansville
    Mossberg Opinion

I own or have owned a few of each of the following models: Maverick 88, Mossberg 500, 590, and 590A1. All were completely reliable. The most expensive gun and the most heavily built is obviously the 590A1. However, I found the action to be very stiff, part of being heavy duty I suppose. It would likely take hundreds of rounds to smooth out, and I didn't have the time to dedicate to that cause so I sold it. The Maverick 88, which can be bought on sale for $179 has a very slick action, at least mine did. It has a cheaper feel, but the action is good right out of the box. It is light, so the recoil is felt more than on the 590A1. The regular 590 is a good model because you can unscrew the cap and switch out the magazine spring, which I did on mine with the Wolff model. I highly recommend you do this on any defensive shotgun. Great gun, though a bit pricey. I guess the sweet spot is the 500 series, specifically the Persuader models. They have a smooth action, and the price is reasonable. The only negative is the mag spring is not easily accessible.

Archer46176

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 21, 2012
    South East of Indy
    I have only older 870s and I would not have another pump unless it was a Winchester 97 just so I can say I have one for the cool factor. The reason I am an 870 man goes back to my first experience with them and a Mossberg 500 around 20 years or so ago.
    My cousin got his 500 from his dad for Christmas and was in awe of it because his dad was a deadbeat and actually bought him aomething for Christmas for a change. I bought my own 870 just because I really liked Remington products and I hated the way the 500 rattled. It was because of the single slide arm on the 500 at the time. The 870 has been around longer and has a better track record until recently when a lot of stuff Remington sems to be turning into crap. I ha e not bought an 870 in 17 years but I have several and I love them all. I havent decided to give Mossberg a try because my older 870s havent worn out AND because of my first experience with them. I am like the old guy that buys 12 dozen pairs of the same shoe because he is affraid they will stop making them.
    If I do buy any other pumps they will be older 870s, Winchester 97s OR a Benelli.

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    Is one of the projects a better stock for the 930?! :dunno::popcorn:
    No. (I like Choate stocks but I know a lot of people don't.)

I keep my focus on 870's and Benelli's. After we move, down the road I may apply for an FFL....not sure on that. Just an old guy on a small farm with his dogs and his guns.

Did Mesa ever adapt the new Urbino stock for Mossberg? One of my projects is a dedicated slug gun with an Urbino stock. The other project I won't talk about. EDIT: Projects

remauto1187

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 25, 2012
    Stepping Stone
    With the 1100 & 11-87 semi autos, if they quit working, it is usually an "O" ring or sometimes a piston that is a cheap fix.

HUH? What you talkin about willis? A 1100 or 11-87 will cycle just fine...WITH THE DARN ORING THROWN IN THE GARBAGE! Granted underneath the forearm will be covered in burnt powder and get quite dirty...but they will cycle just fine. :rockwoot:

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I do not think they will stay working with 2-1/2 or 2-3/4 dram equiv target loads. They probably will with a 3-1/4 or 3-1/2 dram equiv field load as there is way more than enough gas pressure to work everything. My 11-87 was the Premier Trap model, it didn't even like the 2-1/2 dram loads if the weather was too cold. A shattered piston will not run at all. I carried spares in my kit. Needed to use the spares a couple times. I used at least 5000 shot shell primers a year, so that is not a bad service life. Any time it would be running crappy, I would find a deteriorated "O" ring. I would spray everything down and replace the ring, and shoot the rest of ther program. Being as I paid more for a set of Briley chokes for my Beretta than the whole 11-87 cost new, I didn't mind a minor repair cost, as long as it did not take me out of the program.

Either way, they are pretty dependable with very little maintenance.

Last edited:

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    I was interested in the reasoning behind "doing this on any defensive shotgun" in reference to changing the mag spring, not the how-to.

PaulKersey

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Sep 16, 2012
    Evansville
    I was interested in the reasoning behind "doing this on any defensive shotgun" in reference to changing the mag spring, not the how-to.
    In my experience, most pump shotguns, even the cheapest generic models, seem to run well with little maintenance. However, with the mag spring playing such an important role in feeding, it seems like a bad idea to not upgrade to a stronger one when the wolff product is inexpensive. I would not put a 500 in a vice to do it, but if the spring is reasonably accessible, I would do it as preventative maintenance. I was suprised at how much shorter the factory 590 spring was than the Wolff product.

VUPDblue

Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    have you ever worn one out or experienced feed issues that were spring related? I have not, which is why I'm asking. My most commonly used 870 has seen more than 10k rounds downrange, by me, and has not failed. I wouldn't replace the spring as preventive maintenance "just because", especially on a new gun.

PaulKersey

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Sep 16, 2012
    Evansville
    have you ever worn one out or experienced feed issues that were spring related? I have not, which is why I'm asking. My most commonly used 870 has seen more than 10k rounds downrange, by me, and has not failed. I wouldn't replace the spring as preventive maintenance "just because", especially on a new gun.
    I will confess I have not had one fail personally, but I have noticed variation in spring tension in different new shotguns of the same make and model. I would sleep better having the gun with the stronger spring. I don't generally replace parts, preferring to keep things stock. The one exception for me is springs, just a personal preference.

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    But that video was funny.

Yes, I have seen Mossbergs F' up with feeding issues that could be spring related. It is a longer mag tube with 5 rd capacity and the OEM springs in the 500's just are not that great.

That is an issue Remington has never been known to have in the 870's but I have seen 870 springs that were soft after years of use. Any used gun I buy will get a new spring. You do not know its history. OEM new Remington, non issue

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    You won't get a warning, one day it will just F up and you may not really think about it. Then it will happen again.........that is how it has been for me.

In the back of my mind this crappier ammo we see these days may add to the problems so like we both have said in the past, avoid it.

VUPDblue

Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    I have extra mag springs here, as I have with several other consumable parts, just in case of need. I just don't see replacing the spring as a matter of procedure "just because" when they virtually never fail out of the box.

Top Bottom