Can BB guns be shipped via USPS or FedEx without using an FFL?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SwampDude

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2014
    Indianapolis
    I'm buying a Daisy BB gun on line from an individual. Can it be shipped to me in Indiana without involving an FFL to receive the air gun for me? My hope is that the firearm rules don't apply to BB guns designed for kids.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Another yes. Since you dont have to fill out the 4473 to buy one, and you can buy one on Amazon, etc. There is no difference between private parties. Its not a firearm.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    No federal or state (Indiana) laws prohibiting such a sale.
    Local municipality may be another matter.

I did once buy a Daisy Red Rider BB gun from someone on GunBroker.
    It was used, and the price was right. For $25 I thought it was a deal, so I bid and won.
    Then the seller tells me he will ONLY ship to an FFL.
    He wants to ship it overnight, and charge me $65 to do so.
    I told him I would rather take a non-paying bidder hit than to pay that asinine shipping.

I told him there was no law governing BB guns. He argued that it was his butt, and he would not ship a "dangerous weapon" to anyone other than an FFL.
    I got a local FFL to send the guy his info. and told the seller I would NOT pay overnight shipping.
    He finally agreed to ship it for $20, but it still had to go to an FFL.

That FFL still tells people about my "dangerous weapons" purchase, and this was 8 years ago!

You shouldn't have any problems, unless you bought from the same seller I did.

Topshot

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 16, 2015
    Terre Haute
    About the only issue with transporting/shipping air-powered firearms is when flying to another country on an airline that may consider it a firearm. I thought I was making my life easier when I decided our team would only take our air rifles to Germany so I didn't have to deal with the firearm paperwork. Imagine my surprise when US Airways wouldn't let us take them because airline policy considered them firearms and to enter Germany with a "firearm" you needed to have all the paperwork. Even having them talk to the German consulate in Chicago did no good. It eventually did work out (they shipped them the next day), but added a whole lot of stress to the start of the trip.

SwampDude

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2014
    Indianapolis
    No federal or state (Indiana) laws prohibiting such a sale.
    Local municipality may be another matter.

I did once buy a Daisy Red Rider BB gun from someone on GunBroker.
    It was used, and the price was right. For $25 I thought it was a deal, so I bid and won.
    Then the seller tells me he will ONLY ship to an FFL.
    He wants to ship it overnight, and charge me $65 to do so.
    I told him I would rather take a non-paying bidder hit than to pay that asinine shipping.

I told him there was no law governing BB guns. He argued that it was his butt, and he would not ship a "dangerous weapon" to anyone other than an FFL.
    I got a local FFL to send the guy his info. and told the seller I would NOT pay overnight shipping.
    He finally agreed to ship it for $20, but it still had to go to an FFL.

That FFL still tells people about my "dangerous weapons" purchase, and this was 8 years ago!

You shouldn't have any problems, unless you bought from the same seller I did.

Thanks gents for your quick response. I'm an old peckerwood who is buying a Daisy BB gun like the one I hunted sparrows and starlings with 65 years ago as a small-town kid. Now I'll shoot chipmunks and house-destroying woodpeckers with a Daisy because my pellet gun isn't allowed.

Top Bottom