Can I fire 22 magnum thru my 22 revolver?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Shadow8088

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2012
    Only if you have a revolver with a .22 MAG cylinder.

oddly enough, I just came across a 22 mag cylinder, wrapped in an oiled cloth, among my father in law's old gun cases... don't have a gun for it.. but i've got a perfectly blued, untouched cylinder....

pinshooter45

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 1, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Something like my Ruger Single Six come with both cylinders. The 22 mag is both longer and the base is a Little wider making it very difficult to stick one in a 22lr chamber.

Spanky46151

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Martinsville
    Just traded my 22/45 for a Single Six, and I'm having a blast with it. Haven't found any .22 mag to try yet, though.

Love the Single Six, but ain't that the loudest gun you ever fired? I can shoot any other 22 handgun without ear protection (I know, I know), but I have to slip on the muffs when the Ruger takes the stage.

barnstormer37

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 27, 2013
    Can I fire 22 magnum thru my 22 revolver?

If not, why not?

Wikipedia isn't always right, but this article is pretty good. You might try taking a look a it.

My advice would be to use a properly chambered gun for each cartridge. I have the Taurus 992 with cylinders for both .22LR and .22WMR and would never consider loading .22LR into the magnum cylinder. The mags won't fit into the .22LR cylinder.

.22 Winchester Magnum Rimfire - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    I call bs. If it fired at all the worst that would happen is a ruptured case and possibly the cylinder jammed due to debris.. Prolly some personal hand damage if the case ruptured. The bullet fits thru the forcing cone just fine.

It wouldn't necessarily be a catastrophic event, though.

Over time I'm sure there'd be some erosion of the chambers / leade / throat as well.

Case rupturing + hot gasses into your hands, face, and eyes are by far the largest worries.

That and the above scenario will generally mean that there won't be enough pressure contained to motivate the bullet very well.

-J-

Rey B

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 25, 2008
    "Love the Single Six, but ain't that the loudest gun you ever fired? I can shoot any other 22 handgun without ear protection (I know, I know), but I have to slip on the muffs when the Ruger takes the stage." No worries Spanky46151 just keep shooting and the problem will go away. And hearing aids are really comfortable once you get used to them. ;)

Fishersjohn48

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Feb 19, 2009
    Fishers
    "Love the Single Six, but ain't that the loudest gun you ever fired? I can shoot any other 22 handgun without ear protection (I know, I know), but I have to slip on the muffs when the Ruger takes the stage." No worries Spanky46151 just keep shooting and the problem will go away. And hearing aids are really comfortable once you get used to them. ;)

No. You need some bigger guns! Go now, buy something!!

Manatee

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Indiana
    The danger is dropping the round entirely through the cylinder into the barrel where it gets stuck and firing a subsequent high pressure round behind it. I saw a cowboy shooter in florida drop a 20 gauge into his 12 gauge SKB by mistake in competition. In the heat of the moment, he reloaded a 12 on top of it when the round failed to fire. Not a very pretty result.

The 22 myth is a myth.

kboom524

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    New Haven
    The danger is dropping the round entirely through the cylinder into the barrel where it gets stuck and firing a subsequent high pressure round behind it. I saw a cowboy shooter in florida drop a 20 gauge into his 12 gauge SKB by mistake in competition. In the heat of the moment, he reloaded a 12 on top of it when the round failed to fire. Not a very pretty result.

The 22 myth is a myth.

The size difference between a 22lr and a 22mag is not enough for a 22lr round to drop entirely through a 22mag cylinder. The bullets on both rounds are .22 caliber. The main difference between the two cartridges, besides length, is the case diameter. The 22lr has a healed bullet, the bullet and case are same diameter with smaller diameter heal of bullet inside case. The 22mag has a casing with a larger diameter than the bullet allowing bullet to fit inside it. You can put a 22lr into a 22mag chamber and it will fire, but it will rupture because the sides of the casing will not be supported in the larger diameter 22mag chamber. As you stated a 20 gauge shell will fall through a 12 gauge chamber with disastrous results if a 12 gauge shell is chambered and fired behind it.

Top Bottom