Can I join the reserves with 3 children at home?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Archbishop

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    INDY
    I think it's a pretty straight forward question, but am hoping those with some real world experience will way in.
    By the end of this year I'll be EMT certified. I think I'd like to either join the National guard or Army reserves as a medic next year.
    I'm under the age cut off by a few years, but I do have three boys at home. My understanding is that you can't join if you have more than 1-2 kids at home. Are there waivers for this? How likely is that I'd get one?
    Thanks in advance for every ones thoughts on this.

Crbn79

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 4, 2014
    Indianapolis, North
    I think it's a pretty straight forward question, but am hoping those with some real world experience will way in.
    By the end of this year I'll be EMT certified. I think I'd like to either join the National guard or Army reserves as a medic next year.
    I'm under the age cut off by a few years, but I do have three boys at home. My understanding is that you can't join if you have more than 1-2 kids at home. Are there waivers for this? How likely is that I'd get one?
    Thanks in advance for every ones thoughts on this.

They used to do waivers for just about everything. However, right now all Branches are under a trimming program because they are overstaffed in most MOS, so waivers are rare. Your best bet is to contact an active recruiter. I have a guy I can refer you to if you'd like. He's an awesome fella, served with him overseas and he won't steer you wrong or sugar coat things. He works in Indy and lives in Richmond.

Here's some quick reading:

You meet dependency requirements if you are:

• Without a spouse and with no dependents.
    • Married and, in addition to your spouse, have two or fewer dependents.
    • Without a spouse and do not have custody of any dependents.
    • Without a spouse and required to pay child support for two or fewer dependents by court order.

2ADMNLOVER

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    May 13, 2009
    West side Indy
    So you're in your mid/late 30's and you want to be an Army medic ? Kinda late in the game aren't you ?

I think the oldest guy in my class was 30/31 but he was prior SF . Not saying you couldn't make it but just starting out , it really is a young man's game .

Do you like to run a lot and carry very heavy loads ?

If you haven't already , you should probably do some soul searching and find out why you think you want to join .

If you think you really want to be a medic you don't have to join the military to do it , there are some good programs here in town that'll teach you .

Archbishop

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    INDY
    Late to the game, but I'm confident that I can physically do it.
    As to the why, well that's fairly complicated. At the moment I just want to get an idea if I can even join.

2ADMNLOVER

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    May 13, 2009
    West side Indy
    For what it's worth , if I had to do it over I'd most likely went Air Force .

I'm not sure if they're still there but in 95 there was an AF aeromedical evacuation sqdn . over at Write Pat in Ohio that seemed like it would've been a great gig .

Those guys could be gone a few weeks a month (if they wanted) and they flew everywhere .

Unlike us they stayed in hotels , not tents .

buckstopshere

Master
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Jan 18, 2010
    Greenwood
    So you're in your mid/late 30's and you want to be an Army medic ? Kinda late in the game aren't you ?

I think the oldest guy in my class was 30/31 but he was prior SF . Not saying you couldn't make it but just starting out , it really is a young man's game .

Do you like to run a lot and carry very heavy loads ?

If you haven't already , you should probably do some soul searching and find out why you think you want to join .

If you think you really want to be a medic you don't have to join the military to do it , there are some good programs here in town that'll teach you .

Thats not always the case. My wife's brother joined the Army at 35. He's a Blackhawk pilot now. He had zero military experience prior.

But, it's still good advice to make certain it's what you want to do as there are other programs out there.

2ADMNLOVER

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    May 13, 2009
    West side Indy
    Thats not always the case. My wife's brother joined the Army at 35. He's a Blackhawk pilot now. He had zero military experience prior.

But, it's still good advice to make certain it's what you want to do as there are other programs out there.

I can tell you with 100% certainty that being a pilot isn't anywhere near as physical as being a Army medic is .

The pilot just sits on his ass and pulls a few G's every now and then .

If the medic gets assigned to a "line unit " (11 Bravo , grunt types) will carry upwards of 90 lbs of "gear" regularly .

Not only will he carry what every body else is carrying (food , water , weapon , ammo ) he will have to carry another 30-40 lbs of medical gear / supplies , possibly more depending on the mission .

OP , if your set on being an Army medic you should look into the 160th SOAR (Special Ops Aviation Reg. ) and watch the Netflix show about AF PJ's .

Their medics (160th) do about the same things as the PJ's but the unit itself does a lot more than just medical runs .

It can be rewarding and it can be hell , just make sure you got your head right before hand .

Good luck .

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city

No offense meant to to nor your Brothernin law, by I LOL'd when I read your post.
    Hes probably a warrant officer but an officer none the less and the requirements for service a MUCH more lax. His service is appreciated, but it's not like being a ground pounder.

buckstopshere

Master
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Jan 18, 2010
    Greenwood
    I can tell you with 100% certainty that being a pilot isn't anywhere near as physical as being a Army medic is .

The pilot just sits on his ass and pulls a few G's every now and then .

If the medic gets assigned to a "line unit " (11 Bravo , grunt types) will carry upwards of 90 lbs of "gear" regularly .

Not only will he carry what every body else is carrying (food , water , weapon , ammo ) he will have to carry another 30-40 lbs of medical gear / supplies , possibly more depending on the mission .

OP , if your set on being an Army medic you should look into the 160th SOAR (Special Ops Aviation Reg. ) and watch the Netflix show about AF PJ's .

Their medics (160th) do about the same things as the PJ's but the unit itself does a lot more than just medical runs .

It can be rewarding and it can be hell , just make sure you got your head right before hand .

Good luck .

My post was more trying to be encouraging to a guy considering the Army. My BIL is 44 yo and has been a Blackhawk pilot for 5 years. He spent his first 4 years being a grunt. I'm not suggesting he's SF or had a tougher job then a medic but he's certainly done more than up just sit on his ass these last 9 years.

No offense meant to to nor your Brothernin law, by I LOL'd when I read your post.
    Hes probably a warrant officer but an officer none the less and the requirements for service a MUCH more lax. His service is appreciated, but it's not like being a ground pounder.

None taken. I wasn't trying to provide a resume of my BILs service. Just the fact he joined at 35 and loves what he's doing 9 years later. If the OP wants to join, it's a real world example of a guy in his mid 30s joining up.

Top Bottom