• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2012
    columbus,indiana
    I bought my wife a H&R Pardner 20 guage pump. It has a 21 inch barrel and is smooth bore with screw in modified choke. She wants to deer hunt with it and it is drilled and tapped for a scope. So my questions are will it shoot slugs accurately ? If so how far and maybe what kind. What would be a good scope to put on for her and where could I get the scope rail/mount. This kind of stuff is why I joined the forum so thank you guys for your help ahead of time.

BravoMike

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 19, 2011
    Avon
    I hunted for a couple of years with a smooth bore. I could be accurate (small plate size) out to about 50 yards and somewhat accurate (pumpkin size) out to 75 yards(that is pushing it btw). I was shooting 12ga 2 3/4 rifled slugs. For some reason past 75 yards I couldn't get any reliable grouping. I couldn't recommend a zoom optic, maybe a red dot though. I didn't have my receiver drilled and tapped so I just used the bead sight on the front of that bird barrel.

My recommendation is to get some ammo and go shoot. See what she and the gun are capable of.

Big R

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 10, 2012
    I bought my wife a H&R Pardner 20 guage pump. It has a 21 inch barrel and is smooth bore with screw in modified choke. She wants to deer hunt with it and it is drilled and tapped for a scope. So my questions are will it shoot slugs accurately ? If so how far and maybe what kind. What would be a good scope to put on for her and where could I get the scope rail/mount. This kind of stuff is why I joined the forum so thank you guys for your help ahead of time.

Keep it under 50 yrds and she will be fine, Simmons Pro Diamond scope!

remauto1187

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 25, 2012
    Stepping Stone
    You need to realize that there is no special slug or bullet for any specific model of gun. Your neighbor could have the same exact shotgun as you have and able to hit bullseye all day long at 50yds with remington sluggers yet your gun may not be able to hit the broadside of a barn using that ammo. Try 2 or 3 different brands and see which one the gun likes. Be sure to clean the barrel after 4-6 shots or the slugs will start to spread out in pattern. Start with a clean barrel with each brand so you have a good baseline for each brand and allow plenty of barrel cooling between each brand also! Use a laser boresighter to get you on the target faster so you dont have to use so many slugs. Cooling Cooling Cooling! That shotgun is going to be ice cold late November waiting for a deer to walk by!
    Good luck to you and her!

Top Bottom