Can someone recommend a solid compact .45 for carrying?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bstewrat3

Master
    Rating - 100%
    142   0   0
    Apr 26, 2009
    Beech Grove
    I would recommend the Kahr CW45. I have been carrying one as my bicycle gun for awhile now and have just over 3000 rounds through it and haven't had any problems. I was even able to use modified 1911 mags that I picked up in the classifieds in mine reliably.

Shoots4Fun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    74   0   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    Look for a Sig P220 compact. If you find one used you may be able to get close to the price point. Definitely different and much heavier than the XDs but probably more comfortable to shoot.

220-Compact-SAS-detail-L.jpg

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    If you are going to carry on a belt, and you definitely want a 45, I'd look at the Glock 30. It is somewhat of a thick gun, but can be carried IWB, etc, and then you can also have Glock 21 mags as extras/reloads.

If pocket carry (with a proper pocket holster) is a real consideration, then you might look at the XDs.

Personally if you are going to carry on the belt, I don't see the benefit of the very small pistols such as the XDs that give up so much capacity to another decent sized gun that you could put on the belt. However, that is my opinion, and you really need to see what sized gun you are comfortable carrying in a quality holster/belt combination IWB, etc.

If you look to change calibers that opens up a bunch of other possibilities.

If you are not going to stay with a platform (i.e. same mags, holsters, etc as an existing pistol) then changing caliber now may not be that big of an issue, especially if you don't reload.

+1 for this. If pocket carry is your primary concern then I'd almost say to look at something in 9mm or even .380 since you'd get more rounds in an even smaller package. If sticking with .45 is the primary concern then I'd opt for the Glock 30 or the XDS and look into carrying OWB or IWB with a good pancake-style kydex or leather holster.

Big Ram

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 18, 2013
    If you're a big enough guy to conceal and compact I would go with that over a subcompact. The xds is a great gun but I'd prefer the Xd compact over it. Higher mag capacity and more stable when shooting.

DMND1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 3, 2012
    HELL'S HIGHWAY
    GOT 2 glock 36's love em :) they do the job ,but are glock's bastard child trick out parts are hard to come by . unlike my g19's not bad for plastic weapon's:patriot:

Lebowski

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 6, 2013
    Between corn and soybean fields.
    Thanks for all the suggestions, I will start looking into them.

I suppose I would also consider a revolver, I quite like the S&W hammerless ones though I am seeing a lot of comments about capacity, so I doubt you guys would recommend a revolver. They just seem simple/reliable.

I guess getting a non .45 would be okay. The preference only had to do with consistency when buying ammo. Would be nice to get one box of ammo that works for more than one gun, but I would be open to hearing suggestions for an affordable pocket carry pistol of any caliber. I know the Ruger LC9(?) is a popular option, as well as some Kel-Tecs.

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    Para makes some nice stuff. I have been liking my Kahr CW45 and recently fired a XDs at the local range. It didnt do anything my Kahr couldnt do better. I cant see spending the extra coin for the XD although I loved how the grip was shorter and a mag ext could be added for range shooting.

Top Bottom