• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Unoid

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    I've having trouble with the search engine on this forum and its not showing much.

Whats the deal the DNR Pdf files for state camp grounds state only unloaded and in a locked car?

Yet All I can find is articles in 2007 that state that the Gov gave an executive order to allow everyone with a license to carry in state parks.

What is the real laws? Can state parks make us be unarmed? I need some facts to tell a DNR officer if they question me at potato creek when I go camping.

"Any firearm (except validly licensed handguns)BB
    gun, air gun, CO2 gun, bow and arrow, or spear
    gun in possession in a state park must be unloaded
    or un-nocked and stored in a case or locked within
    a vehicle except when participating in an activity
    authorized by written permit."

I assume the except validly licensed handguns clause lets anyone with a license to carry OC or CC right? What about long guns?

CopperWires

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 26, 2009
    Jeffersonville
    According to this document, Yes!

http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/indiana.pdf

Sec. 3. (a) A person must not possess a firearm or bow and arrows on a DNR property unless one (1) of the following

conditions apply:

(4) The person possesses a handgun on a DNR property other than a reservoir owned by the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers
    or Falls of the Ohio State Park:
    (A) with a valid unlimited license to carry a handgun:
    (i) issued under IC 35-47-2-3; or
    (ii) recognized under IC 35-47-2-21(b); or
    (B) pursuant to an exemption to handgun licensure requirements as authorized under IC 35-47-2-2.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Yes...it's 100% legal at MOST Indiana State Parks.

Not ALL of them, though. The parks that the Army Corps of Engineers controls (a few up in the NE part of the state, along with Falls of the Ohio in Jeffersonville) are NO CARRY AREAS per the ACoE and Federal regulations.

Other than in these few areas, it's never been "illegal" to carry in an Indiana State Park, but it has been against DNR administrative rules. During Gov. Daniels' first term, DNR director Hupfer rescinded this rule.

So, now, there is no law OR rule prohibiting the carrying of a firearm on State Park Property (with the exception of ACoE property)

Unfortunately, there really hasn't been any effort to update any of the literature at the state parks, nor the websites that still carry the OLD information.

-J-

Bigum1969

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    SW Indiana
    Yes...it's 100% legal at MOST Indiana State Parks.

Not ALL of them, though. The parks that the Army Corps of Engineers controls (a few up in the NE part of the state, along with Falls of the Ohio in Jeffersonville) are NO CARRY AREAS per the ACoE and Federal regulations.

Other than in these few areas, it's never been "illegal" to carry in an Indiana State Park, but it has been against DNR administrative rules. During Gov. Daniels' first term, DNR director Hupfer rescinded this rule.

So, now, there is no law OR rule prohibiting the carrying of a firearm on State Park Property (with the exception of ACoE property)

Unfortunately, there really hasn't been any effort to update any of the literature at the state parks, nor the websites that still carry the OLD information.

-J-

Everything he said. I agree you have to be careful about Army Corps stuff. We go to Patoka Lake and the lake itself is maintained by the Corps.

zstep7

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Aug 2, 2009
    West Indianapolis
    I just reserved a camping spot at brown county state park, and it said you can have one. Stipulations of course, it is supposed to be locked up in a case or vehicle. I think their were others also. Basically you can have one and when you would need it, it would be to late.

MontereyC6

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 16, 2008
    Greenwood
    I just reserved a camping spot at brown county state park, and it said you can have one. Stipulations of course, it is supposed to be locked up in a case or vehicle. I think their were others also. Basically you can have one and when you would need it, it would be to late.

If you have a LTCH, you are good to go at Brown County State Park. I was there 3 weeks ago, OC'ed the entire time. Even chatted with a couple of DNR guys, and no one mentioned the Sig on my side.

MontereyC6

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 16, 2008
    Greenwood
    Can anyone confirm on Potato Creek I will be going camping there in 2 weeks this thread just saved me a lot of leg work...

Oh and HI!!!!!! I'm Steve in case you couldn't guess I like ARs.. From the "Region".

As it's a state park, I'd say you're good to go. I don't know that particular park, but as long as the Corp of Engineers doesn't have any property there, you should be ok.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    That's old, old info. If you have a LTCH you don't need to do that.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    I'm wondering if someone shouldn't press the current head of the DNR, Robert E. Carter, Jr., to mandate that all of the websites and literature be updated to reflect the new information...Nah...that'd be too easy...

rcarter@dnr.in.gov (not 100% sure, but I think that's the proper format for the email address)
    317-232-4020 will get you his receptionist.

or a generic web-page to send emails to DNR DNR: Contact Us

or

DNR: DNR Division Directory

Wabatuckian

Smith-Sights.com
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    Wabash
    I'd like to double-check Salamonie.

The dam was built by the Army Corps of Engineers; everything else is managed by the DNR. It's a joint venture, but I've never seen anyone but the DNR out there.

As well, there's plenty of hunting so I don't see that the concealed carry wouldn't be allowed.

I just don't have time to sift through all the Google results at this time. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Josh <><

SC_Shooter

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    Bloomington
    I'm wondering if someone shouldn't press the current head of the DNR, Robert E. Carter, Jr., to mandate that all of the websites and literature be updated to reflect the new information...Nah...that'd be too easy...

Louisville District Daily Lake Report
    This is the daily lake report site for the USACOE. The lakes listed here are Corps lakes - in partnership with IDNR. This basically means that they are owned by USACOE, but leased and administered by IDNR. Patoka and Monroe are handled this way. This is not the end-all-be-all source of information, but it should help folks know which lakes are Corps lakes and which are not.

DNR: Parks & Reservoirs
    On the IDNR site, this should help people find out how IDNR designates each of their properties. While they may all seem the same to us (drive up to a gate, flash the IDNR card, go hike, etc.), they are most certainly not all the same to IDNR. Keep in mind that the law passed relates to "State Parks" and not necessarily to "Reservoirs" or "State Recreation Areas."

I know it doesn't seem to make much sense that Brown County State Park would allow carry, but Paynetown SRA would not, but that's the way it is. This is an excerpt from the IDNR campground regulations (http://www.in.gov/dnr/parklake/files/monroe_paynetown_nonelectric.pdf) that might also help.

All firearms, BB guns, air guns, bow and arrows, CO2 guns, or spear guns must be unloaded or unstrung and stored in a case or locked in a vehicle when using campgrounds at J. Edward Roush Lake, Mississinewa Lake, Salamonie Lake, Monroe Lake, Patoka Lake, Brookville Lake, Cecil M. Harden Lake(Raccoon SRA), and Cagles Mill Lake (Lieber SRA).

As a disclaimer, I do not work for IDNR, USACOE and IANAL. I just spend a lot of time at these properties and have done a fair amount of research on the subject.

jerico616

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    Fort Wayne, IN
    I'd like to double-check Salamonie.

The dam was built by the Army Corps of Engineers; everything else is managed by the DNR. It's a joint venture, but I've never seen anyone but the DNR out there.

As well, there's plenty of hunting so I don't see that the concealed carry wouldn't be allowed.

I just don't have time to sift through all the Google results at this time. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Josh <><

Slamonie is governed by the DNR. They came through there a few years ago and forced Geocachers to remove any non-permitted Geocaches. Even though the Army Corps of Engineers built it, the DNR manages it and all DNR rules and laws apply.

Wabatuckian

Smith-Sights.com
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    Wabash
    Slamonie is governed by the DNR. They came through there a few years ago and forced Geocachers to remove any non-permitted Geocaches. Even though the Army Corps of Engineers built it, the DNR manages it and all DNR rules and laws apply.

Thank you very much for your help. I'd carry anyway, but it's good to know I'm legal about it!

Josh <><

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Yeah, there's still much confusion over the whole DNR / ACoE stuff.

The ACoE does "control" several of the reservoirs, but the DNR takes care of the park property.

It's a "Where is the demarkation line?" Is it the shore? The flood plane?

Just something for us to fret about.

Thankfully, I suppose, is that I'm betting that most LEO wouldn't know the whole ACoE regulations anyhow.

-J-

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Brandonki
    Top Bottom