• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • disGRUNTld

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 24, 2012
    I walked into Gander Mountain Tonight around 7:30p.m. expecting to walk out with my new handgun like every other time. This time I was told that I was being delayed! I served four years in the United States Marine Corps infantry and did two tours in Iraq. I also have no criminal record. Why would I be delayed? I purchased a handgun about a month ago with no problems! Any insight into my dilemma would be much appreciated.

No2rdame

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2012
    Noblesville
    Maybe your name is common, or someone with a similar name recently got flagged. It might also be possible that someone is using your identity. I'm no expert on this stuff, just throwing out ideas.

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    Common name, wrong records (which happens A LOT with the FBI), and a lot of times veterans get delayed, I know a lot who do. Most of them are Nam vets but it sometimes raises flags.

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    I walked into Gander Mountain Tonight around 7:30p.m. expecting to walk out with my new handgun like every other time. This time I was told that I was being delayed! I served four years in the United States Marine Corps infantry and did two tours in Iraq. I also have no criminal record. Why would I be delayed? I purchased a handgun about a month ago with no problems! Any insight into my dilemma would be much appreciated.

You just answered your own question!

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    It happens more than you know. I'm a Veteran, and I have never been delayed, and I have probably the most common name in the U.S. It's not a conspiracy against you.

RedThunder

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Feb 13, 2013
    Indy-North
    Still, kinda strange. Also one of those stupid gov screw ups where you really can't reach over the counter and throttle someone. Like buying online and getting hosed. Just walk away pissed. Really frustrating, sorry.

SERparacord

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 16, 2012
    Amish Mafia Bar

As ex-military you are now consider a good candidate to be a domestic terrorist. Thanks for your service. :patriot:

dugsagun

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    portage
    You were prolly random delay number such and such at the certain time of the day. Happened to my buddy at cabelas when he was buying a glock, he was the first call in of the day and bam delayed. They prolly do 1 random delay for every hour in business day, heh.

jburris

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Oct 21, 2008
    henry county
    I have a buddy that has neve been delayed on a handgun, but gets delayed on long guns everytime he buys one. He got some pin number or something so he dont get delayed anymore. no clue what it was he got, but 1 of the gunshops he buys from gave him a number to call to get it all straightend out.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I know a gentleman who has class 3 stuff, who when buying a "normal" gun gets put on delay dang near every time. He doesn't have the applied for ID number to get past that nonsense, instead just laughs it off and waits 3 days.

I myself, have never been delayed, but my name is unique (am the only one it looks like, in the US).

Bishop

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 13, 2013
    Waynetown Area
    I didn't have any problems with my first gun purchase, a xd. Was delayed on my next two, p238 and 686. Bought a 91/30 and 10/22 with no problems and then got delayed this week on a mossberg. Talked to a FFL that I work with, said the same thing about common name as everyone else has, (which I have). Also said that the FBI will kick out every seventh call for delay, just because. Not sure if this is correct or not, just what I was told. If so, I have some of the worst luck when buying guns. Not really a big deal. I never go shopping for a gun that I have to have that day. Who does? I just wait for a call from the dealer, sometimes the feebies call back in a day or two, sometimes I had to wait the full term. Just an inconvenience with the extra trip.

HandK

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Way Up North!!
    1.5 million guns sold in the month of Dec alone! I would think they are just over run with calls! I bet next time it will slid through with out a hitch!

j706

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   1
    Dec 4, 2008
    Lizton
    I am a veteran too. Knock on wood I have never been delayed. But I also have a very uncommon first and last name and I always use my SSN.

shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    Go to another store see what happens.

he will get delayed again!

police,judges, doj employees, ive seen all of those delayed, seems the higher the security clearance of a millitay person, the better the chance of a delay

to the op, i wouldnt worry about it, other than gander mountain's policy is a 10 day wait on a delay,my friend got a delay(at gander mountain), he asked me about it, i said dont worry go back in 3 days and pick it up(if no resolution is given in 3 days, the gunshop can transfer the firearm to you)

he went back to get it, the employee said we didnt hear from nics yet, so you have to wait 10 days, he replied nics says 3 days, the employee said it "company policy" to wait 10 days, so he went to another shop, got delayed, picked it up 3 days later, and still had the gun sooner than he would have at gm

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    First, THANK you very much for your service. Don't know if you allowed use of your SS#? That seems to help, especially if you have a common name. Another issue is that the Gov. is simply buried with checks right now so may have been delayed as they couldn't get the check ran. Guess I'm lucky, I do use my SS# and do have an FFL-03 (collector) license, so that may help, but I've never been delayed (Yet). Of course when I purchase a Curio or Relic, no check is ran - just transferred to me- like an FFL-01 to FFL-01 transfer. If this occurs again it may be that there is someone with your name that does have an issue. To avoid the problem you can request a PIN (personal identification number) from the ATF (free), this assures the Feds that you are clean. Per info from the FFL's I have spoke to, this eliminates the problems and delays.

Top Bottom