• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SmartAsh25

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 10, 2012
    Portage
    I read that the law in Indiana is that you can carry in a bar (obv if you have your permit to carry) but if you drink its the same BAC limit for driving a car as it is for carrying a gun...so .08

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    I read that the law in Indiana is that you can carry in a bar (obv if you have your permit to carry) but if you drink its the same BAC limit for driving a car as it is for carrying a gun...so .08

Partly true...partly hogwash.

There isn't anything in the Indiana Code about any kind of BAC for carrying a handgun.

-J-

SmartAsh25

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 10, 2012
    Portage
    Personally I still wouldnt get drunk if I were carrying in a bar, thats just asking for problems, even if you arent an idiot while drinking doesnt mean other people arent. just be careful and be responsible:)

ipswervy

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 21, 2012
    Somewhere Indiana
    Yes you can. If the bar asks you to leave or put in your car you've got to comply with that request, the bar is private property and that prevails over your right to be in there.

handgun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 1, 2012
    Central part of This state
    I have carried into a bar. Concealed of course! :) And don't get sloppy drunk.. worst that can happen you could be not served any booze.. The bartender does have that right to deny anyone booze.. and could ask you to leave.. which you must comply.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    huh...i know i did read it somewhere but of course it couldve been pure bs.
    :dunno:

It wouldn't surprise me to know that SOME states have stipulations... But Indiana does not.

I have carried into a bar. Concealed of course! :) And don't get sloppy drunk.. worst that can happen you could be not served any booze.. The bartender does have that right to deny anyone booze.. and could ask you to leave.. which you must comply.

Consider the highlighted text.

What if you just get a little drunk? What about a good buzz? Slight buzz?

What if you're not "feeling" it at all, but you'd still fail a BAC test for driving?

Now think about if you have a drink...or two...or three...or four... in a short period of time. What if you have to USE your firearm defensively.
    You don't think that if it can be shown you were drinking - AT ALL - let alone if you're nice & buzzed, slightly buzzed, or just "kind of drunk" - that the police reports / interview reports / prosecutor will have an almost slam-dunk case against you for shooting or attempting to shoot someone? Even if you're wholly justified - if everyone saw you drinking, and everyone could smell it on you post-incident... You'd be in for a world of hurt.

My personal suggestion - if you're going to a bar / pub to drink, don't carry. If you're carrying - don't drink.

-J-

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    As far as I can tell, your right to self defense is still protected even if you are intoxicated.

Would individuals in the media, in the DA's office, and maybe even in the jury (if it gets that far) not LIKE it? Maybe. The law doesn't say anything about it, though. Carrying is perfectly legal, and acting in self defense is still protected.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    As far as I can tell, your right to self defense is still protected even if you are intoxicated.

Would individuals in the media, in the DA's office, and maybe even in the jury (if it gets that far) not LIKE it? Maybe. The law doesn't say anything about it, though. Carrying is perfectly legal, and acting in self defense is still protected.

Pretty much.

If it were ME, though, I'd want the record to show that I hadn't imbibed of any intoxicants should I have to defend myself / wife / family with my firearm.

-J-

Roscoe38

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 7, 2010
    Pants on, gun on, loose shirt. No one knows, well maybe the metal detector. Wrong building, leave immediately. Conduct yourself as an adult.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Pretty much.

If it were ME, though, I'd want the record to show that I hadn't imbibed of any intoxicants should I have to defend myself / wife / family with my firearm.

-J-

If the records show that I acted in accordance with the law, then the cold medicine I took, allergy medicine I took, or what I had for dinner should be irrelevant.

Not advocating drinking and carrying, BTW. Heck, it is rare for me to have a drink at all. Just noting that my rights are intact regardless of what is in my red Solo cup.

Top Bottom