"Can you open carry to the party tonight?" Wife asks...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Josh:

1. You have a keeper in that one.
    2. What an awesome development.
    3. I'm glad it went well.
    4. Does she have a sister?

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    O.K., outside of me getting attention from Barney in Wheatfield, Indiana (4 years ago and I've been carrying for 20 years), do we have any reports of anyone being hassled for open carry?

I don't think a vast majority of people in this state give two you-know-whats if anyone carries or not.

ryan, hey, get in line!!!

sparkyfender

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 20, 2008
    Southcentral IN
    O.K., outside of me getting attention from Barney in Wheatfield, Indiana (4 years ago and I've been carrying for 20 years), do we have any reports of anyone being hassled for open carry?

I don't think a vast majority of people in this state give two you-know-whats if anyone carries or not.

ryan, hey, get in line!!!

You should stay away from the "Satin Lady." :D

sparkyfender

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 20, 2008
    Southcentral IN
    Carrying at a synagogue in Bloomington? Openly?

Wow. That takes some cajones. Or chutzpah. Or some other non-English word. :)

Seriously, Bloomington places of worship have seen some rough stuff in the past.

Remember the serial shooter from several years ago who hit the Korean church there? I think he shot up a couple of other places as well, ending up in Chicago, if I recall correctly. Several deaths were involved.

So.......... Good for you!

sparkyfender

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 20, 2008
    Southcentral IN
    Sorry you had dealings with that cowardly killer nutcase in the past. I had no idea, or I wouldn't have been so flippant. I'm glad he did not target you, or any of your members, when he went on his tour of murder.

I don't blame you for neither confirming or denying, or seeking "official" approval for an armed security detail.

I get the feeling that at least one of you are in the habit of keeping an observant eye on the coming and goings around your synagogue........

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Good thinking, Josh.

If you broach the issue with your congregation, let us know how it is received and what kind of progress you make.

Pitmaster

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    South Bend, IN
    Wait for an opening or try to create one. Get someone else to express the concern then you can offer a suggestion. It may take a while but the seed needs planted.

My wife is still anti-gun but is slowly getting used to the idea. I mentioned that she should get a permit and she didn't say know this time. I'll follow up in a few weeks and hopefully she will agree to before the end of this decade.:):

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Wow! It is a small world.

It's a stark reminder of the answer we all need to keep in mind (even if we choose to not disclose our personal choices) when someone asks, "Why would you need a gun at church?"

I'm not sure why it is, but logic and critical thinking seem to be even more lacking among the American populace than ever before (not just on this topic). Perhaps it's because our lives have been so easy for so long, that people have lazy minds.

It doesn't seem like rocket science to me that violent predators would choose locations where they would have easy prey. "Gun free zones" demonstratably attract them, as it enhances their chances of success. Whether made so by local law or not, churches, synagogues, and similar places of worship are perceived to be "gun free zones" and "safe." In my mind, the word "safe" is far from the truth, as the complacency and lack of situational awareness makes them anything but "safe."

nofear

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 20, 2008
    Indy
    A couple things come to mind. 1) does your church also have Daycare at it? From what I read in "Indiana Handgun Law" your church in this scenario is off limits. 2) why would you need to carry open? I don't understand that logic. Personally I feel that you should keep it concealed and no-one to know whether you are or aren't carrying.

My wife can't even tell if I am, and she will ask for her peace of mind if I am.

My .02

younggun21

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 26, 2008
    But to bring up that conversation would breach the don't ask/don't tell situation we have now and open the door to someone saying "We have to ban it for the children!" or some such none sense.

Bring up it with church officials privately. If they know and the people involved know, then why scare the sheeple?

Not trying to make a habit of this but here is a link to a similar discussion.

Do you carry in church? - Topic Powered by eve community

-K

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    According to the state police, my synagogue does not fall under the school rules for the state (I called and asked). To be safe, I never carry when the kid care is active or when a function for them is taking place (just in case).

You may wish to rehink that. When else would being able to protect yourself and others be more important???

NateIU10

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2008
    Maryland
    You mind me asking what congregation you belong to? Been in Bloomington for 2 years and have pretty much fell out of touch with any services, and the Hillel here is worthless (IMHO of course). I would love to be a member of a Synagogue with such lax gun regulations.

Nathan

Top Bottom