Can you overfill a blackpowder cartridge?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • shawnba67

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 6, 2012
    So Indiana
    I am loading some 45 colt with Goex 3f. I measured by volume 40grain of it then I weighed it for giggles and seems to be between 38 and 42 gr by wieght. Apparently the slight shaking during the pour into the volume measure settled some of them. They all seated to the crimp groove without any noticable case bulging. Can you create an overpressure situation with actual blackpowder and no airspace? the powder came to within .100 of top of case and bullet measured .280 to the crimp groove so I have .180 compression. 40 gr is the highest I've heard of the Colt being loaded with BP, and at 14,000psi.
    If it fits is it good to go?? Or can you overload with Black powder???
    Gun is a recent manufacture so I have a little wiggle room over an old iron SAA, in strength at least.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    As long as you stick with real black power and not one of the substitutes, I have never seen any caliber that will hold significantly nore than recommended. A grain or two one way or another will not affect you.

The target match type black powder shooters have long "drop tubes" on their funnels to even up the packing effect for more consistant velocity.

Have fun (and keep a canteen of water nearly to wash your eyes if it gets too smokey)

giovani

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 8, 2012
    I would do a chronograph test with various charge weights, you may get similar velocity out of a revolver with less powder.

sassdan

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 27, 2010
    brick house off cent
    You don't want air space between black powder and the bullet, black powder needs to be compress your load is fine. I fill my 45 colt case up, if you want a lighter load of powder then use grits on top of the black powder to finish filling the case so you have no air gap.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    You don't want air space between black powder and the bullet, black powder needs to be compress your load is fine. I fill my 45 colt case up, if you want a lighter load of powder then use grits on top of the black powder to finish filling the case so you have no air gap.

+1

Gdpudge

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2013
    West central
    I would like to step in here. If I want to load black powder in my .357 for my lever action rifle how much powder do I put in? Just fill it up with enough room to press the bullet onto compressed powder?(black powder only)

sun

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Connecticut
    The case needs to be filled with enough powder to allow for 1/16" - 1/8" of compression when the bullet is seated.
    Ideally one would want to use a bullet with lube grooves that will hold enough black powder lube to minimize the need for swabbing which would help to maintain accuracy during the shooting session.

netsecurity

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 14, 2011
    Hancock County
    I would like to step in here. If I want to load black powder in my .357 for my lever action rifle how much powder do I put in? Just fill it up with enough room to press the bullet onto compressed powder?(black powder only)

I always thought that was dangerous, but apparently all the cool kids are doing it these days. Very interesting.

Last edited:

ol' poke

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 14, 2010
    I always thought that was dangerous, but apparently all the cool kids are doing it these days. Very interesting.

Why dangerous? The dangerous part of loading blackpowder cartridges is leaving an air space in the case. If you fill the case, you're good to go. This would be a 'max' charge, as you just can't put any more powder in. A finer granulation would make for some more power. I use 2f in .45 and .44-40, but lots of folks use 3f. A full case of either in a .45 case can be a handful! Some folks lessen this charge by filling the case mostly full of powder, and the rest with grits, caulk-rod, or anything else to take up the air-space under the bullet.

For the original poster: Sun mentioned above the ideal setup of using bp-friendly lube with blackpowder. Smokeless lube will get crusty really fast and mess with your accuracy and be a pita to clean. Welcome to the dark-side!

ol' poke.

Gdpudge

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2013
    West central
    Thanks for the info. I think it would be different to try and being I have shot muzzle loading guns for years it would be neat to mix the two a little. Never been referred to as the cool kid. Thanks for the comments

shawnba67

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 6, 2012
    So Indiana
    Checking back in, I tested 3 loads all under the same 255gr Keith style bullet, 40 gr by volume 3f BP. 2f Pyro and 9 gr unique. 7 & 1/2 inch barrel 457 cylinder throats 452 hard cast 20 yd's
    3f Goex 930fps first shot 4in left low next 3 2 1/2 group
    2f Pyro 918fps first shot 3in low and left next 3 in 2 1/2
    9gr Unique 850 fps all 4 in 4in group at poa.
    All but the 2 first shots of these went to point of aim. The bullets did not have black powder lube on them, the gun was scrubbed between every cylinder full. Both BP and Pyro were jamming up before 6 shots would have to help cylinder along for last two shots. I do not know if that was because of the smokeless lube on bullets or what. I decided to hunt with the unique loading due to its first shot accuracy and not having to clean it near instantly, however I'm gonna pick up some SPG BP bullet lube because that smoke cloud and big orange fireball were pretty badass. Also report was louder but not near as sharp. recoil was not painful at all, but was definately there. Can see why the cavalry down loaded them.

Cerberus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2011
    Floyd County
    BP cartridges have to have some compression. I use compression dies to keep from deforming the noses on my lead when I load my .45-70s and .44-40s. Also use a .030 over powder card on the .45s

Top Bottom