• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mvician

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    NW Indiana
    I "buffed" mine to clean it up before I applied FrogLube to it. I'd post the pic I have but my open Noveske dust cover is a no-no here :):

ok a little paint shop to keep it forum friendly

NiB.jpg

Last edited:

VN Vet

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Nickel Boron? I'm not sure. However, with Stainless Steel you can with Flitz.

I recommend you try Cape Cod Metal Polishing Cloths. You can get these at Ace Hardware. Be careful how many you buy because one cloth will last a long time after it appears dark. I suggest you get a three pack and try them.

Have fun trying my friend.

Last edited:
    Rating - 100%
    139   0   0
    Sep 3, 2010
    Nickel Boron? I'm not sure. However, with Stainless Steel you can with Flitz.

I recommend you try Cape Cod Metal Polishing Cloths. You can get these at Ace Hardware. Be careful how many you buy because one cloth will last a long time after it appears dark. I suggest you get a three pack and try them.

Have fun trying my friend.

What's the scoop with these cloths? My googling seems to indicate they are used to take the tarnish out of silver or stainless steel surfaces. Are you recommending them as a finishing step after the bolt has been polished gently, or are you saying go straight in with these and lots of elbow grease?

Side note, I'm really wondering because I'm still working on a shotgun polish job that I want to be a true or damn near mirrored surface.

PGRChaplain

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Waynedale (FT Wayne)
    I polished the sides of a 1911 slide. started with fine Crocus cloth and sanded with 400, 600 and 1200 grit. Looks like a mirror. Then I had it Black Oxide treated. Looks better than the Blue, even on old high dollar guns. For the Nickle Boron I would try the process I used. *** Start in an area not easily seen***

VN Vet

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Indianapolis
    What's the scoop with these cloths? My googling seems to indicate they are used to take the tarnish out of silver or stainless steel surfaces. Are you recommending them as a finishing step after the bolt has been polished gently, or are you saying go straight in with these and lots of elbow grease?

Side note, I'm really wondering because I'm still working on a shotgun polish job that I want to be a true or damn near mirrored surface.

I would use what is the easiest to do the bulk of the work and then use the Cape Cod Cloths to do the finishing work. These cloths can give you the damn near mirrored surface. :>) I think you'll like the results.

I bought the Cape Cod Cloths initially to polish watch cases and bracelets. I now use them on my SS gun barrels on which I want a high shine. I'll still use Flitz first to do the bulk of the work.

Happy Polishing. I find it therapeutic.

louielouie

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 22, 2009
    Columbus, IN.
    NetPimp,

The turn-around time was exactly 4 weeks from the day they received it, and the day I received it back.

Just like they say on their website; 2-4 weeks.:yesway:

louielouie :rockwoot:

louielouie

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 22, 2009
    Columbus, IN.
    I "buffed" mine to clean it up before I applied FrogLube to it. I'd post the pic I have but my open Noveske dust cover is a no-no here :):

ok a little paint shop to keep it forum friendly

NiB.jpg

mvician,

When you buffed your NiB BCG did you use Flitz or any kind of polish or did you just use a cleaning buffing cloth?

When you applied the Frog Lube did you heat the BCG first?

Thanks,

louielouie

mvician

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    NW Indiana
    I buffed it with a plain polishing wheel at medium speed with a dremel.
    Yes, I warmed the carrier and bolt first with a hair dryer.

Top Bottom