• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Obviously there is no absolute, and I didn't mean it that way. I'm speaking culturally. I'm betting there's no "Where did you see OC?" thread on CanadaGunOwners.

:)

Yeah I get that it's not a common sight there.

Surprisingly enough I sometimes see people who OC around where I'm at.
    A few who CC as well (badly, like under a suit jacket where you can tell the make and model of their piece).

I assume most of them are plain clothes police officer though.
    And I'm usually able to find out pretty quick.

In France it's only since 2016 that LEOs are allowed to carry their service pistol when they are not on duty. :facepalm:

All the ones I spotted where on duty. Working security details and stuff like that.

In theory it's legal in France to carry for anyone during some special historical celebrations.

Living in Normandy if often see guys driving WW2 vehicles with a 1911 pistol on their hip.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Over the years I've seen a fair amount of US antique guns make their way to Canada, I'm guessing they have an age limit somewhere in their laws. You see some drama on GB from time to time where a Canadian can't get a US seller to ship to Canada and the sale doesn't go through.

HKUSP

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Danville, IN
    Canada is not the United States. So many here don't understand that. They have no right to possess a firearm, much less carry a handgun. They never had that right. They have no gun culture to speak of. Canadians will not be "stocking up" on handguns because the idea is foreign to them. No one carries a handgun in Canada, save for police, some security personnel and by special permit if doing so for wilderness protection. Carrying a handgun for self defense is an alien concept to them.

Even possessing a handgun requires a special license on top of a standard license for long guns. The only uses considered legitimate for handguns outside of occupational use in Canada are target shooting at an approved range, competition and collecting. And by collecting, it means legitimate collecting of firearms with historical signifiance, not "I collect Glocks." And the owner of the collection must consent to periodic inspection of the collection by thier regulatory agency.

There is not, inside of every Canadian, a Yankee yearning to be free. :):
    ^^^ This. I have two Canadian acquaintances that have been absolutely stunned at what we can own and carry here. They held my HK and marveled at it like it was The Holy Grail.... or perhaps a hand grenade.

Back in the day I would go visit Windsor with friends and make car load beer runs. One of my friends was an Ohio police officer. He wanted to visit the Windsor PD and maybe trade a service patch. I got the distinct impression that my toenail clippings knew more about guns than Canadian cops. A quote I remember is "we just carry what we're issued. I'm not even sure who made it".

I also remember that there was a big sign at the border checkpoint saying "Handguns are ILLEGAL in Canada", so I went with that assumption and never looked into it further.

I would sit in bars there and listen to the occasional political discussion happen around me. They generally ended with "Oh well. What can you do"? They really are stuck in a subservient mentality. I'm glad I changed jobs and don't have to go there anymore.

Nice folks there, don't get me wrong. Good beer. I just don't like being surrounded by people that have given up as a matter of national identity.

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    I think Mexico has something about owning Arms for protection and self defense in their constitution.

I don't think it's anywhere close to ours or the Czech though.

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    I've not dug into this for a while and noted a few items that may be out of date.

Nonetheless, it is an interesting read.

It is for good reason those ratifying the constitution of the States documented the natural right to defense in the second amendment. They had just recently finished throwing off a tyrannical government and were fully aware it may become necessary to do so again in the future .

The establishment of the States is truly much different than that of other sovereigns in the world. Keep that in mind when ******* centralizers are attempting to make this place like the ****holes of the rest of the world.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    I think Mexico has something about owning Arms for protection and self defense in their constitution.

I don't think it's anywhere close to ours or the Czech though.
    The authorities shall issue firearms license to any person older than 21 (sometimes 18 depending on type of license), with a clean criminal record, and physically and mentally sound, that passes a firearms proficiency test and is legally reliable.

That is Czech law. Still isn't as good as most of American states were we can just go buy a gun, and carry it (CC) without permission.
    Sounds more like restricted states controlled by Democrats. Probably the most liberal in Europe though.

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    The authorities shall issue firearms license to any person older than 21 (sometimes 18 depending on type of license), with a clean criminal record, and physically and mentally sound, that passes a firearms proficiency test and is legally reliable.

That is Czech law. Still isn't as good as most of American states were we can just go buy a gun, and carry it (CC) without permission.
    Sounds more like restricted states controlled by Democrats. Probably the most liberal in Europe though.
    Yeah I know it's not as good as most of the American states. I was saying I think that ours and the Czechs is better than Mexico's. Mexico's does mention the right to own for self defense, but I think it might be limited to your property.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    I would sit in bars there and listen to the occasional political discussion happen around me. They generally ended with "Oh well. What can you do"? They really are stuck in a subservient mentality. I'm glad I changed jobs and don't have to go there anymore.

Nice folks there, don't get me wrong. Good beer. I just don't like being surrounded by people that have given up as a matter of national identity.
    In another thread there was an article laying out the long term game they are playing to create a United North America with a new constitution and I guarantee it will not have the contents of the second amendment…

Found it.

Last edited:

ECS686

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 9, 2017
    Brazil
    What I didn’t see mentioned skimming through the 5 pages is there’s more issues than a handgun ban there.

The bigger problem with Canada is they have no legal right to self defense with a thing let alone a firearms. Using a firearm or any object for even a home invasion is considered “Unreasonable” Force.

So even if they reverse this and used a pistol or any firearm they are hit. And as mentioned Canadian have a different attitude they simply follow good bad or ugly!

Top Bottom